See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed June 8, 2015

My wife and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Cherry Garth - a lovely gift from my son and daughter-in-law.
The guest house is located close to the centre of Ambleside and ten minutes easy walk from the ferry. The parking is excellent and there is a good bus service to Windermere.
We had the cheapest room and, to a degree, it showed. The room is on the top floor and the only access is via two flights of fairly steep stairs. I had to carry our suitcase and that nearly defeated me. (fit but passing 73!)
The room itself was spacious with a wonderful view of the Langdales. The en-suite bathroom was adequate but I have to echo one reviewer's comment. The bath was fine but the shower was dire. If the shower had been usable I'd probably have given five stars.
The beds were comfortable and warm (the weather was chilly on the first night - in June!!) There was plenty of hanging and drawer space with half a dozen hangers each.
The telephone manner when I called to book was a bit off-hand but polite.
We were welcomed on our arrival and directed to our room but there was no offer of help with the luggage.
The dining room/occasional lounge was nice and airy with a view of the lovely gardens out of a bay window. The other guests of various nationalities were very friendly.
Breakfast was of good average standard. A good selection of the usual cereals was available. There was also a selection of fresh and dried fruit. The main course was freshly cooked and good quality. It was also served efficiently. Tea and coffee were available to order. We were given a rack of brown and white toast and there was a good variety of jams and honey.
With a little attention to detail and a better shower in the cheapest room this could become an excellent little hotel. I hope the owners read this and other reviews and make the few small changes that will make all the difference.
Wi-fi was available for a small donation to the Mountain Rescue organisation but we were warned that reception on the top floor would be patchy. (a repeater on each floor would solve this problem)
We found lots to do. There are a good number of restaurants in Ambleside and Windermere and further afield. We enjoy walking and visiting National Trust houses and gardens and we more than filled our two days.
There were no crowds while we were there but I suspect that the queues and crowds might get a bit fraught in the high season and on bank holidays. We were lucky with the weather and were able to really enjoy the wonderful displays of azaleas and rhododendrons and the early summer flowers.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2015

We have stayed at the Cherry Garth on several occasions now and really enjoy our time here. We always get a warm welcome on checking in and we have stayed in a double room, a deluxe room and a superior room. The deluxe room has a lovely view and a Jacuzzi bath, and the double rooms have more basic facilities but perfect for us. The rooms are cleaned daily to a good standard and the breakfasts are home made to order and served in the breakfast room which overlooks the front garden (which is pretty). This is a family run bed and breakfast and they are always friendly and willing to help and very knowledgeable regarding local facilities and have plenty of information like timetables of buses/sightseeing attractions like the boats for Windermere and Ullswater and are always willing to go the extra mile regarding their guest's needs (extra linen, extra blankets/pillows) and available most times for enquiries. We have never been disappointed with the facilities and have always had a good night's sleep here and a lovely breakfast served with a smile. The Cherry Garth is situated on Lake Road, which is very close to Windermere in one direction and Ambleside in the other. Also very handy for the drive to Ullswater, which has breathtaking scenery, especially using the narrow road which is known as "The Struggle". Have recommended this B&B to friends and will definitely return next year as we are always happy here and enjoy the scenery which surrounds it. Recommended!

Room Tip: The rooms at the top of the building have lovely views and the deluxe room has a nice Jacuzzi bath and a great view from the front of the building.
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 31, 2015 via mobile

Just returned home from a 2 night stay with my husband. The hotel was a little dated and the shower in our room wasn't the best, but other than that there wasn't much wrong with the room we were in. We were on the top floor but had a lovely view from our window! (Photos attached) One warning......the hot water does get very hot! Have stayed in better places but I would return here again.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2015 via mobile

We stayed here on a two night break with a gift voucher that had been bought for my Husbands Birthday. When we called to book the lady who answered was cert stern infact quite rude and bit at all welcoming she was however quite pleasant until we mentioned we had a voucher! We really wanted to see Ambleside so thought we would take a chance. Oh dear! The house is filthy and the owners need to go on a customer care course. Our room for was up in the gods and my husband doesn't do stairs very well we asked to be moved but we're told it would be another £55 and when we saw the other room it was even worse with an inch of dust akk over! Breakfast OK but would bit recommend this to anybody.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elsieageorge
Reviewed May 28, 2015

There are 3 great things to merit Cherry Garth. Excellent location with brilliant parking, beautiful garden, and excellent breakfast. The rest is average. The whole place is in dire need of a facelift. It's tired, the bed was so uncomfortable, and I could only get to sleep with the aid of knock out sleeping pills. Little things like a grab rail in the bathroom would not go amiss, and it's probably an ok place for a one night stop.

Sadly we'd come from a comfortable hotel in Yorkshire (at less cost) so went home feeling rather miffed, but looking forward to own own bed at the end of the journey

NB: you really do have to pre-book restaurants here. We were turned down on 3 occasions on spec. Can really recommend Luigis Italian and the Curry House opposite. Excellent food and good prices.

I would not return to Ambleside, there are much better locations in the lakes

Marco Polo and Co

Room Tip: Ask to check the room with the best bed!!
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple