All reviews trout derwent restaurant overlooking the river terrace bar executive room lovely hotel afternoon tea high standard lakes distillery public areas the main street wine list the ground floor large bathroom fantastic stay high street excellent food
Reviewed November 20, 2017

Excellent setting in beautiful Cockermouth. Easy self parking at no extra charge. Dog friendly, although expect to pay for the dog being with you and expect to read through a page full of rules and regs.

Took the wife for her birthday treat, and the promise of some excellent food.

Staff at reception were helpful and friendly and the place is beautifully appointed.
Our room (Superior) was clean and spacious, with a very nice bathroom complete with the usual toiletries.

We expected more of the restaurant. The setting was lovely, but the food was below the standard we'd have expected. Wife had a souffle to start, which was delicious. I had the scallops which themselves were nicely cooked, but the dish lacked any 'oomph'. It was prepared with hazelnuts, which didn't go particularly well with the scallops, and overall was quite an oily dish. Luckily, there was some delicious bread to mop up some of the oil.

As a main, my wife had the slow-cooked pork with black pudding mash and cabbage. The pork was, indeed, slow cooked, but a bit dry. Again, nothing to make the dish outstanding. I had the Cumbrian sirloin steak - rare, with tomato and fries. The steak was done perfectly, but was a bit tough - though edible. Fires were done nicely and the tomato was delicious. Once again, though, it was a bit oily overall and lacked any style.

Dessert for the wife was a lemon posset with blackberries and shortbread. Nicely done, but a bit too sweet generally. I had the whisky, honey and orange jelly with a custardy sauce (creme anglaise?). Wow! The jelly wasn't at all what I was expecting. It had a LOT of whisky in it - so much that I was unable to detect the honey. It had a bitterness to it that made it almost unpleasant. There were orange segments embedded in the jelly which could have done with being poached a little. Even with the sweetness of the sauce, I was unable to get over the bitterness of the jelly. What a shame!

Overall, it's a nice establishment if you'd like a quite weekend away - but don't expect a lot of the kitchen. There are lots of other nice (looking) restaurants in Cockermouth, but as we were only there for one night, we didn't get a chance to try them.

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 14, 2017 via mobile

This is one of the best places in the Cockermouth area. As a family we all agree that it is probably the friendliest place in the whole Lake District area. The staff are always friendly, polite and welcoming. Excellent

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed November 13, 2017 via mobile

Went back to the trout after a while away visiting other local eateries. Had the Cod and chips a throughly enjoyed it. Was disappointed on a previous visit but if this was anything to go by it looks like they have gotten back to normal

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 13, 2017

Six of us stayed for three nights for a family funeral, staying in 4 rooms, on the 1st 2nd and 3rd of November 2017. Although we were there for a sad occasion, the joy for us, was the stay at The Trout. Every single member of staff went out of their way to help, the service is absolutely excellent. The rooms are very comfortable with beautiful white crisp linen, and wonderful bathrooms. We booked for dinner bed and breakfast, having only ever had B&B before ( and I have to say a most excellent breakfast) , but please, I have to urge anyone staying to try the restaurant. The food is absolutely superb! for starters I had a cheese soufflé , (which I still dream about)- incredible, followed by a sharing chateaubriand steak which was meltingly delicious, served with undeniably THE best fat chips I have ever eaten, crispy on the outside and fluffy and soft on the inside. Perfect vegetables and a wonderful apple merengue pudding made it the most memorable and wonderful meal I have ever eaten in a restaurant! The whole experience, the food , the staff, the beds all made this a most perfect retreat for anyone seeking a comfortable and relaxing stay. Bliss!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank hazel E
Reviewed November 12, 2017 via mobile

We arrived early and went into the bar to have drinks, which were really nice and came with canapés. The menu was very nice and we had Chateau Bria rare it was absolutely delicious and a large portion. The staff were pleasant and professional. We will definitely be going back.

Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple