Waterhead Hotel
US$138
Lakeland House(Coniston)
Bluebird Lodge(Coniston)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewslovely hotellake viewbar loungefirst floorold manlovely groundshotel is situatedshort walkon arrivalbeautiful locationevening mealconiston waterpublic areasconiston villagedining roomlake districttwo night stay
Reviewed September 10, 2012

My younger brother and I stayed for 5 nights in august, along with my dog Coco. I am in a wheelchair so it was going to be a test to see whether the hotel really was disabled friendly -sometimes hotels say they are but they are not. The verdict was that it is disabled friendly, although it was difficult to get in and out of the hotel because the ramps they use are the portable metal ones that come as a pair and you have to use one for each wheel. If I was on my own I wouldnt have been able to get in myself as my brother had to notify reception to put the ramps out everytime we came and went. -bit annoying, but atleast I could get in eventually. We were put in the ground floor room which was fine as at was quite big and had a wet room, so good for accessibility. It also had great views over the gardens and lake, and the decor was nice - no complaints there. The hotel is dog friendly and they were very accomodating with my little sausage dog. We had to sit in the bar lounge to eat breakfast and dinner/lunch etc, but that was alright becuase it was a good laid back atmosphere in there. The hotels biggest asset is the staff, they are very friendly, very accomodating, very helpful. I would definately recommend this hotel especially if you have a dog. The location is great too. And yes I got caught out by my satnav sending me on a ferry too! Watch out for that.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Carina F
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed for 3 nights in late August. The location of the Waterhead hotel is excellent. A 10 minute walk from the village of Coniston & a short walk through the hotels own grounds to the shore of Coniston water. Here you will find the hotels own jetty where you can catch regular launches around the lake.
The staff are very welcoming & genuinely very friendly & helpful.
Our room was very comfortable.
Breakfast was excellent with high quality ingredients.
The restaurant was also excellent. We ate there on our 1st night there. The menu is not very long but we had no trouble finding something we would like. We were not disappointed. We enjoyed it so much that we had our evening meal there on our 3rd & final night there too. Something we don't usually do.
We definitely intend staying there again.

2  Thank Mike P
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Had to mention this hotel, only had one night there but will be back. Staff friendly and attentive, food lovely .Our room had a beautiful view over the lake, Heavy rain set in ,in the evening so we decided to stay at the hotel ,they fitted us in for late bar snack even though they were fully booked, which we thoroughly enjoyed and we were entertained by a very young talented boy also a holidaymaker who played the piano in the reception area.All in all a very enjoyable couple of days

Reviewed August 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in August and had the usual mixture of Lakes weather, sunshine, showers and heavy rain!
The location of the hotel is excellent, the garden leads down to Coniston lake and the views of the mountains and surrounding area are superb. The location is great for the village of Coniston, a ten min walk away where they are several pubs where you can eat for reasonable prices if you don’t want to use the hotel restaurant which was very quiet.

We found the hotel staff friendly and welcoming. And the service was generally good.
The hotel itself however seems dated. The room was clean and tidy but the décor was tired and I felt the hotel lacked character.
The restaurant has a good view of the mountains over the car par and the food was decent overall although they only had one red and one white wine. Also the hotel mentioned various teas on the breakfast menu but few were available during our visit as they had ‘run out’.
The main advantages of the hotel is undoubtedly its location, which is quiet and restful and ideal if you are a walker or want to be away from the hustle and bustle of the busier areas of the Lakes. I would stay again on this basis.
A word of caution if you use a Sat Nav to find the hotel, it appears they all take you there via the Windermere Ferry (£4.30 per car), which would save you time off peak. However we waited an hour in a queue of traffic, so it actually took us longer to get there and we would have been better taking the long way round.

Room Tip: Program you sat nav to avoid the Windermere Ferry
2  Thank Brian H
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Myself and my husband stayed here for two nights from the 7th-9th August. The location of the hotel is fantastic, right by Conniston lake and nestled at the foothills of the mountains. It is a 10 min walk into Conniston village where they are some lovely pubs.

The hotel staff are very friendly and make you feel very welcome. The hotel itself however is very dated.The hotel seems to lack character and some of the furnishing seems sparse and out of place.Our room over looked the car park although it did have a good view of the mountains. The hotel has a very small bar with a very limited choice. They only had one red and one white wine that you could buy by the glass and they had no real ales available whilst we were there. Wifi is very patchy but there is freeview TV so we managed to watch bits of the olympics in the evening. Breakfast was good and my husband enjoyed the kippers. The sausages were very poor quality, which seems a shame when there are such good local sausages available. All in all this hotel sells itself on its lovely quiet location, away from some of the more bustling parts of the lakes. It suited us for our stay and we didn't spend much time in the room or the hotel. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant as it seemed very quiet. The hotel accepts dogs in all area except the dining room. We would stay again purely based on its location and next time we would probably bring the dog!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room.
3  Thank E O