All reviewslovely hotela lake view roomfirst floorlounge barevening meallovely groundsold manhotel is situatedon arrivalbeautiful locationlake conistonpublic areasshort strolltwo night stayfull englishstayed here for two nightsfamily room
Reviewed July 3, 2018 via mobile

Theres a first time for everything and this is the first hotel I never completed a stay in... because it was filthy.

We stayed in room 5 and I'm gutted we can't upload video footage here as it's reminiscent of a David Attenbourgh documentary on spiders eating bugs and mites roaming around the bathroom... fortunately I can upload screenshots though so you don't miss out on the horror.

You can also see the filth on the radiator. If you do decide to stay, I'd advise to bring a pole so you can get rid of those 'out of the reach' bugs on the high Victorian ceilings adorning the room.

The area itself while relatively picturesque has little to do there but a nice break if that way inclined. I would advise you stay at the Crown Inn just up the road from this mob, a nice pub with good food.

In one picture you can see me about to start the drive home around 1am Sunday. I emailed them at 3am Sunday and had no response since despite chasing and promised calls back regarding a refund.

My 'non-stay' was 1st July, not the 1st April for the fools day as you may have expected.

For those wondering why I left it late to leave, we spent most of the time in the Crown Inn, coming back quite late.

DON'T STAY HERE.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gaz R
Reviewed July 2, 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the Waterhead Hotel for one night. It wasn’t great. The room was a bit dated and there was a dummy under the bed which made you wonder how well cleaned it really was. Breakfast was average and service at checkout was super slow since the receptionist was busy serving breakfast. I give it an extra point for the size of the room.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2018

Stayed two nights in a standard room - This is an old hotel and the room wasn't great - no view and the bathroom was shabby but this didn't really matter as we were not in it very much. The food we ate was outstanding and could not be faulted. The staff were very helpful and went out of their way to make our stay pleasant. The breakfast was perfect with a fantastic choice. really enjoyed our time at the hotel and in Coniston.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2018

This is an old hotel that has been modernized in some respects, not in others. We had a twin room on the second floor with a view out over the garden. The room was comfortable and clean with decent bed linens and a large bath. The wifi in the room was very feeble. The grounds are lovely. On the day we arrived, we had sandwiches in the garden, which was very pleasant. We had our evening meal elsewhere, as the menu at £25/person was not appealing. Breakfast the next day was just awful. My friend and I both ordered scrambled eggs and what we received was possibly the worst attempt at scrambled eggs I've ever seen. They were kind of grey and rubbery and just totally icky. The coffee was served in a cafetière but tasted like instant - reminded me of the coffee one would get back in the 70s and 80s. Lots of room for improvement!

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2018

We were booked in for two nights as a combined birthday present from our children. We booked in at about 3.30. When we got to the room we found that the room had not been serviced. The bed was not made and there were no towels. Informed Reception and about an hour later, the housekeeper turned up, with the receptionist, and made the bed. The room itself was a good size and we both had two good nights sleep. Breakfast was good but the hotel run out of milk on the second morning, One of the staff had to go to the shops!!
Overall not too bad but marred by the housekeeping (there was a spider's web in the corner of the room).

Room Tip: Make sure which floor your room is on, the second flight of stairs is steep
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple