All reviewstown centrestayed herecoast to coast cycle routecycled milestriple roomnew ventureowners were friendlywarm welcomefresh local producesecure storagebike ridetwo night staymain roadprivate parkingfive minute walkfull englisha great nights sleep
Reviewed May 13, 2017

Stayed here for two nights in late April with my wife. The owners Karen & Nick are very warm and friendly, they could not do enough for use and every request was dealt with quietly and efficiently. Our room was very clean and looked newly refurbished, the en-suite shower room could not have been cleaner. The evening meal that we had in the GH was freshly prepared with fresh local produce; the drinks were all reasonably priced. The GH is located within reasonable walking distance of the town centre, which has quite a good array of shops. I would have no problems in recommending Acorn Guest House for anyone wanting somewhere to stay in Penrith, we will be staying again.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 11, 2017

Karen & Nick cheerfully honoured our request for a quiet room. As we were staying for a week Karen gave us a large comfortable room @ the back of the house.
My request for blankets to replace the duvet had Karen enlisting help to re-make the bed whilst we were still bringing in our bags!
Nothing was too much trouble; the breakfast selection excellent, everywhere very clean.
The GH is part of an old Coaching Inn & as such floors are uneven & ceilings low - all adding to it's "quaintness"in this old market town.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 10, 2017

The Guest house is more like a family hotel, Nick and Karen were very friendly, helpful and could not do enough to make our stay enjoyable. The premises are historical and interesting as such with many traditional features. Nick and Karen are currently refurbishing the rooms and when complete I would expect problems getting a booking unless placed a long way in advance. The food and drinks available were varied and quality at reasonable prices. If returning to the area would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Very little road noise so room choice irrevelent, upper floors may be better.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 6, 2017

Just the right place for a stopover on our Coast to Coast bike ride. It passes the door. The wind was strong so we were late. This was not a problem and we were made welcome/. Very comfortable and clean. Superb breakfast. Plenty of storage for bikes

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed May 5, 2017 via mobile

Stayed there for a night. The floor was not level and cracks were evident on walls and ceilings.

In addition, in contrast to many of the reviews in Tripadvisor, the female host was very unwelcoming and displayed a condescending attitude towards us. She did not greet us with smiles and did not even bother to wave us goodbye which is a stark contrast to how she welcomed Westerners. Even though she did not drop any racist comments explicitly, my family and I were offended by her loftiness which underlines racial discrimination towards Asians.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank deborahk20172017
nick H, Owner at Acorn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2017

well where do we start with this one as it borders racism towards us !!!
your party consisted of one male and two females of which you were one of the female guests. At no time during your stay did you converse with my wife or me during your stay !! , my wife was attending to other guests when you left and you made no attempt to say goodbye yourselves , I was carrying your bags to the car YOU did not even say thank you for that .It was you that was rude not us. There are no cracks on the ceilings but yes some floors are uneven THE BUILDING IS 200 YEARS OLD.
As per other review response I can only hope you don't treat your own home the way you left the rooms in a complete mess on departure We are deeply offended in the way you treated us and our Hotel.