All reviews lake district train station on arrival coffee machine full english would stay again lovely hotel small hotel large room my partner orrest head fantastic food following morning booked this hotel long weekend both mornings feel very welcome
Reviewed December 13, 2017

very welcoming place staff were amassing food was excellent rooms were very comfortable and clean would recommend to all my friends and family went on a long weekend was very impress with the hotel will book again next year

Room tip: its in the lakes all vues n are good
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2017 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in freezing but sunny November. Our room (10) was spacious and warm, but my husband (well over 6 ft) had real issues with headroom both within parts of the room and on the access staircase. The bed was comfy. There was a coffee maker, kettle etc.. The bathroom was huge and had a separate shower, but the shower was virtually unusable because of problems with water pressure. We had issues with traffic noise. The old sash windows are single glazed, and the room was immediately above a busy road. Otherwise the location is great for access to all the facilities of the town. There was a wide choice of good food for breakfast.
We ate there on 2 evenings. See separate review for details of the issues we had with service.

Reviewed November 23, 2017 via mobile

Stayed here with my partner for our anniversary. I had emailed the hotel prior to our stay to see if there was anything they could do specially as its a special occasion, they said they could put rose petals on the bed so i said yes please. To my disappointment we checked in and there was nothing in the room. I emailed on our way to the hotel to say we would miss our dinner reservation as traffic was a nightmare on the motorway. I asked if we could dine at 9pm and was told at this time of year they push people to eat at 8:30 or before. But you serve till 9pm so why couldnt i dine at 9pm? regardless of the time of year. Anyway we got a chinese take away. Breakfast in the morning was slow. The lady who was serving was talking to an elderly couple for a good 20 minutes before realising we were staring at her waiting to order as we'd been sat there for half an hour already. We then heard the chef shout service in the kitchen but the girl continued to talk to this couple for a further 10 minutes before going to get our breakfast. Lovely breakfast when we got it though. Had dinner on the 2nd night which was brilliant, the food is fantastic here! enjoyed cocktails and folk music by the fire after which was nice. The following morning I was kept awake from 8:30am due to very noisy housekeepers laughing and talking so loudly. Take some consideration for the guests, some of us like to sleep in! This was impossible with how loud they were being. Breakfast on the 2nd morning was rushed as we were the last table. I heard the waiter shout in the kitchen 'last tables down' we had literally just sat down with cereals and things from the buffet when we were asked for our hot breakfast order. I hadnt even looked at the menu yet. Our breakfast came when i was half way through my cereal of course. Fancied a cup of tea after my breakfast but it had already been cleared away. Over all a nice looking place with fantastic food but the service isnt really there. The bedrooms was yellow and dated but the bathroom was beautifully done. Lots of dust balls on top of the head board though. Weve been in the hospitality industry for several years now and this just didnt meet my expectations.

SueTasker, Owner at The Lamplighter, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2018

Dear GW1994,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experiences whilst at The Lamplighter and I was of course deeply saddened to read the vast majority of the content of your review. We greatly value any and all feedback that we receive from guests as this is the best way of ensuring that we are operating to our full potential and that any issue that are raised can be dealt with going forwards to ensure that we exceed the levels of customer service for which we are renowned.

In the first instance I would apologise that you encountered any of the issues to which you refer and on the first point this was completely down to my misunderstanding. You had of course arranged prosecco and rose petals to be in the room prior to your arrival but then contacted us to cancel the prosecco which I took to be all of the elements that you had pre-arranged so again please accept my personal apologies as this was my error but was genuinely a misunderstanding. I would add also that we had allocated your room to be the best room in the category that you had reserved on the special two night deal with all of the facilities of the category above in acknowledgement of this being a special occasion.

On the matter of your dinner reservation the offer on which you booked required you to dine with us on the first night and we had your reservation in the diary for the previously agreed time. Looking back at correspondence, you in fact e-mailed before you set off at 16.08 and said that it would take you 4 hours and asked if you could move the reservation to 9pm. I have cut and pasted my exact response to this request which is as follows:

"I am sorry to hear that you still have a 4 hour drive ahead of you. I would be rather reluctant to sit you at 9pm as at this time of year we would usually direct bookings to 8pm and before. Would 8.30pm be an option for you? This would still allow you 4 hours journey time and then 30 minutes to freshen up".

I don't "Push" my guests to do anything at all and only made a polite and very achievable suggestion. You then went on to ask if it would be possible to cancel your reservation for that evening to which I agreed as I would also have done if you had stated categorically that 9pm was the only option and that you would dine at that time.

With regards to the other matters that you raise I can only apologise and would give my assurance that these have been brought to the attention of the relevant members of the team and procedures put in place to ensure that they do not reoccur in the future as they should not have done in the first instance. I can only hope that based on the positive elements of your stay to which you refer that we will be able to welcome you back to The Lamplighter in order that we may endeavour to redeem ourselves in your eyes. To this end and indeed should you wish to discuss any elements further, then please do not hesitate to contact me directly on 015394 43547.

With renewed apologies

James Tasker

Reviewed November 10, 2017

This was a surprise stay booked by my husband. Our room was on the first floor overlooking the main street. It was a good size, bright and airy, with a big en suite with a bath and shower. The bed was huge, but a little bit on the firm side. There was tea and coffee making facilities as well as complimentary toiletries. There were a few scuffs on the wall from previous occupants, which could have been washed off. The radiator in our room leaked when we turned it on, but there was a heater which worked well.
Dinner was a 3 course menu with plenty of choice. It was well cooked and presented. Breakfast was superb. A good cold selection and a great cooked choice. The eggs Benedict was amazing. I would definitely return.

Room tip: Front of the hotel for views, but traffic noise.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely 2 night break here through travelzoo which included dinner on the first night and breakfast both days for £179. This was a bargain! Lovely hotel rooms and clean and spacious, furniture a little on the old side but perfectly adequate. The food in the dinning room was fantastic brilliant quality and so fresh and all the staff were very friendly and helpful. Altogether a lovely little place in a perfect location. Will definitely return

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple