“Spir of the moment break”

Best Western Carlton Hotel
Ranked #34 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Irvine, United Kingdom
“Spir of the moment break”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This hotel is in a prime location on blackpools north end of the promanade but dose look a bit dated from the outside but don't be put off by that as I couldn't fault the hotel inside as it was spotless and the reception staff were more than helpfull as there were two adults and two children in our party,we had booked b&b as it was a spir of the moment booking but ended up having dinner that night in the restaurant .the food was very nice and at a high standard.The room was a good size and had all the tea and coffee ect that you would expect to get and more to the point it was spotless.
What I liked most about the hotel was that it had free parking which was a big help as Blackpool is a nightmare at the best of time for parking.
The only bad point was that the hotel didn't really cater for children as there was nothing for them to do.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Dcdevlin1974
PatelShilpa, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Let me start by thanking you for taking the time and writing a review after your recent visit to Best Western Carlton Hotel, Blackpool.
Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. I apreciate the feedback re the outside however we have started the paint work but just need the weather for completion, there is also work planned for the entrance and i am glad that you found the inside of the Hotel warm and welcoming.
Your custom is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
If we assist with any future enquires then please do not hesitate to contact us at 01253 628966.
Shilpa Patel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
shropshire
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This hotel has an enviable position, on the sea front 5/10 mins from the north pier and town centre.
Why it has an appalling state of decor is beyond belief, I thought that by booking a Best Western hotel a certain standard would be maintained, how sorely wrong was I, the bedroom (216) had water stains down the wallpaper by the bed and evidence of water ingress on the lintel over the bay window, although both areas were dry when we stayed. The standard of workmanship whenever it was last fitted out is absolutely appalling, gaps where skirting boards meet, dreadful alignment of coving all botched and filled, poor standard of wall papering.
The bed was very comfortable, except that there was not enough of it, it was only a three quarter size bed, although there was enough room to fit a full or even a king size bed in the room.

You would not see standards like this in a ibis or itap hotel for instance and these hotels are extreemly cheap to stay in plus they are ultra modern.

The bathroom, as the bedroom was like a throwback to the 50s, again the standard of workmanship of the fittings and tiling is very poor indeed. The bath was only three quarter in lenght.
We had problems with the wash basin and toilet, which was mentiond to the manageress, she did offer to move us but as we were only staying two nights, declined as we had already unpacked, she very graciously deducted my paper bill for the inconvenience which was nice of her.

The breakfast room is quite large with plenty of space overlooking the sea front, but again everywhere is looking very tired. The breakfast selection and quality was very good, all self service with a good range of cereals fruit, yogurts, and a good selection of hot items for a cooked breakfast, tea/coffee and toast was also in abundance.

To sum up, the staff were helpful,polite and friendly, the building was kept clean, although the poor cleaners/ maids have an almost impossible task.

We stayed in a B&B the previous weekend in Plymouth, £45.00 cheaper in a select residential area, king size bed, totally central, the only thing it did not have in comparison to the Carlton was a bar.

I thought that by booking Best Western a certain standard would be guaranteed, after all, this was not supposed to be a cheap kiss me quick type of B&B, I thought that we would be staying in a quality hotel.

We had a good time on our weekend break but I am bemused as to why a run down hotel like the Carlton can justify such exhorbitant prices , and I am equally surprised that the Best Western group does not request the owners to refit this hotel, or remove it from their portfolio.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank blackyabe
PatelShilpa, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Please accept our apology for not meeting your expectation on this occasion, I have read your comments and would like to add that the bath in your room is a full size and also the bed in the room is King size. The Hotel has an annual inspection and we would not be able to trade under Best Western if the inspection failed. The bed and bath size are one of the criteria’s that are checked on an annual basis.
I appreciate the feedback re the helpfulness and assistance that you received from our Team, your custom is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Horsham, uk
Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights
the rooms and hotel is very clean
the atmosphere welcoming and friendly
the staff are the most accommodating anyone could wish for
I was travelling alone and they were kind friendly and very caring
I dined in both restaurants - service was impeccable
The food was delicious
The Jali was the best indian food I have ever eaten in the UK

I will stay here again

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Fiona W
Berlin
Reviewed 11 March 2012

We stayed here as we were going to see a show at the Winter Gardens. Perfect location just a 10 minute stroll. We checked in early and the staff on reception were friendly and helpful. We were really pleased with our room. Even though it was on the small side we had a lovely sea view, and we were very happy with the cleanliness. Comfortable bed and not noisy at all. Enjoyed the breakfast however the service in the restaurant ( and the Indian which is part of the hotel and have the same staff) was not the best. The lady who took you to your tables seemed very stressed and unfortunately couldn't hide it. This made us feel in the way even though both restaurants were not full. The Indian meal was very expensive, and even though the taste was really fresh the portions were tiny. I am happy to pay if the food is up to standard but 4 small pieces of chicken for a main meal is not enough! Breakfast was good however the staff struggled to keep the food topped up at the self service buffet. Overall the hotel was good however Blackpool itself was very tired and shabby. I would only go back to see a concert and would probably try another hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view in room 113 was lovely
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WiganJulie
PatelShilpa, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. We apologise if your expectation was not met, your custom is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a few times the latest being for two nights from 2nd March and have been generally satified with service and accomodation. The location is good if you get a room with a sea view and there is plenty of free parking. Th hotel staff are generally very helpful but they were little short handed on Sunday morning which meant we had to wait for a table at breakfast. The breakfast buffet is pretty good. The rooms are on the small side but reasonably well decorated. The bathroom was clean and quite large. I would say generally good value for money although our trip last year was sigificantly cheaper because of earlier booking. There is a taxi rank immediatley outside which is convenient if you need a taxi to & from town and have things to cary, which we did. Costs about £3.50 -£4.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view. The rooms at the rear only look out on a yard & busy road. If you want t...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Alan186370
Harrow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Good location just far enough out but still within easy reach of attractions ( 30mins walk to Bloomfield Road) and car park has ample room for a USA size day van. Some rooms a little small but helpful staff will offer others if available. Breakfast good (but as others have noted when will most hotels have a toaster that works on both sides!) .One small problem with the beds was rapidly adressed by helpful staff. Generally good value and what you would expect for a hotel of this type in the Blackpool.
But we could not get the free wifi to connect!

Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank andy13579
Alnwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Stayed here on the 9th February for one night - along with several members of my family - as I was in Blackpool for a family event. Private off-street car parking (free) directly outside the hotel made on and off-loading very easy. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly.
I had booked a single room and found it to be perfectly adequate for my needs - not huge, but clean and comfortable.....although the view of the bins and fire escapes was less than inspiring. But that really wasn't a huge issue given my short stay!
Plenty of towels were provided as well as an extra pillow. The shower room (no bath) was of a good size, well lit, and scrupulously clean. The room was warm - if anything, slightly too hot! The free wi-fi was easy to set up and very useful.
We ate in the hotel that evening. The bar menu was reasonably varied, although a little over-priced in my opinion. But the food was tasty and well-cooked and the service very good.
Overnight noise wasn't too bad - although the traffic sounds take a little while to get used to if you live somewhere as quiet as I do!
The breakfast next morning was excellent with lots of variety and superb cooked choices. And a great sea view from the dining room!
Would recommend this hotel - it makes a great base from which to do whatever you have to do in the Blackpool area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LJH69
PatelShilpa, Manager at Best Western Carlton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Your feedback is very much appreciated and I can assure you that my staff and I use this information to do everything possible to create an enjoyable experience for each of our guests. Your custom is much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.