“Bright! Cheerful! & Welcoming!”
Review of Ruskin Hotel

Ruskin Hotel
Ranked #33 of 70 Hotels in Blackpool
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Bright! Cheerful! & Welcoming!”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We called in to see the evening entertinment. Bar staff were friendly and the recptionist. The 'turn' was a man singing songs from the 60's. When he sang Roy Orboson, he sounded just like him ! My friends and I sang a long to every tune. We had great fun recalling old memories the music evoked in us.
I'm sure it would be a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank jean s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Essex
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I have just returned from what was supposed to be a much-looked forward to break but was more like an imprisonment. When booking the hotel I explained that I was in a wheelchair and, having stayed there before when I was a bit more mobile, was well aware that the corridors were too narrow for a wheelchair. I was also aware that they did not have rooms which catered for the disabled but could cope with this fact because I had my husband to help me. I explained that I could only manage a few steps with the help of my husband and crutches so would therefore require a room closest to the lift. I was informed that room 129 was only a few steps from the lift and happily accepted this and confirmed the booking. On arrival I completed the paperwork and my husband was given the room key. We went up in the lift and upon exiting my husband told me we were in room 127. I told him that it would be the room closest to the lift (which was indeed room129) but my husband checked and told me we had definitely been given room127. He went in search and found it at the end of the corridor. He went to collect my crutches from the car and the only way to get me to the room was by my getting on my feet and leaning on my crutches and my husband getting on the floor and pushing my feet along the carpet until we finally reached the room. Obviously I was exhausted by the whole experience but this is how I had to reach either the lift or our room each time I wanted to go anywhere. Our plans had been to go out and see the Blackpool lights on Friday evening after dinner. Our experience in the dining room was excellent - my wheelchair did not fit under the table we were shown to so the manager went around the room until he found a table that would accommodate the wheelchair and reserved that table for us until the end of our stay. The food was excellent and the restaurant staff were very friendly. After the meal we had to return to our room to go to the toilet and get ready to go out. We went through the performance of my husband getting back down on the floor to help me along. Unfortunately the corridor was used by guests who needed to get to other areas of the hotel so I was holding everyone up because it took so long to get me along to my room. The other guests continually asked why I had not mentioned my disability when booking and I always responded that I had. By the time I reached my room on Friday after dinner I was so distressed and upset I told my husband I could not face the journey back to the lift again and would not therefore go out to see the lights that evening. On Saturday morning having traversed the corridor in our usual fashion to go to breakfast I asked my husband to take me to the reception desk. The head receptionist (?) dressed in a black suit (might have been the deputy manager) asked if she could be of help. I informed her that I was upset that I had not been given a room close to the lift, how difficult it was for me to get to our room and that I had been informed that I could have room 129. My husband also mentioned that room 101 would have been an easy room to reach had it been available. The receptionist informed me that I could not possibly have been given this information because it was not possible to book specific rooms because it was not hotel policy. She also added that room 129 was now one of their blue ribbon rooms which was at a higher tariff. The indication and tone inferred that I could not possibly afford this. She also added that room 101 was more of a family room catering for more that just 2 and that this also came at a cost and could not possibly be made available to me. This again indicated that I could not afford it. She told me that 127 was the room that had been allocated at the time of booking and that the reservation had been made by "Paul". I told her that my reservation had been made by a lady but she argued with me that I had spoken to a man. My disability is with my legs and not my ears - I do know the difference between a man's voice and a woman's no matter what the pitch. She also told me that there was a note on my booking form that I required a room close to the lift with some kind of reference to my disability. She told me that room 127 was not really far from the lift and that I should be grateful because they could have given me a room much further away from the lift. My husband at this point took me away from the area because he knew how angry and distressed I was becoming at her comments. By Saturday evening when I was meant to be seeing the Lights and watching a demonstration at the Winter Gardens I was so exhausted with the journey to my room after dinner that I again decided I could not face the trip to and from the lift and cancelled my arrangements and sat in the room and watched TV. This was an entirely ruined weekend and i might just as well of stayed at home to watch my much larger TV. This was all down to a policy which to my mind is totally discriminatory against the disabled. I think they need to take a serious look at their policy and also at their customer service training.

Room Tip: Not allowed to make specific requests.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
17 Thank Carol T
Kilmarnock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Me and my wife have been to Blackpool for many years but this was our first time at The Ruskin Hotel. We had always thought the outside and entrance to the hotel very appealing. Stayed from Monday tilll Friday on bbem basis. We were given an upgraded double room at no extra cost which was a nice start. Our room was an average size of most typical hotel rooms in Blackpool and can only assume it was an upgraded room as the shower and toilet were of a better standard than normal. The food was excellent. At breakfast its self service and buffet. Plenty to choose from. Evening meal was very good with a choice of 3 from the starter, main course and dessert. Portions very ample as well. The food was for us the stand out at this hotel. Staff very friendly and helpful as well. We will return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgraded room at no extra cost. Dont think its worth paying extra for as only the shower...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Ronald0
Liverpool
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Just back from two nights at the Ruskin. Nice hotel, bit disappointed with room - needs updating and
rather small - shower only. Ok for two nights but not for week! Food excellent, couldn't be faulted, good choice, freshly cooked, excellent. Entertainment good too, in bar and cabaret lounge. Overall, good choice, although bearing in mind bedroom/bathroom, feel slightly overpriced (October break two nights for two £280)?

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alirud
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Second time of staying at the Ruskin, food and service were of a very good standard, position is excellent. The rooms could do with a bit of updating, but ours was more than acceptable being clean and comfortable. Yes, there are certain areas that need work to bring it up to A1, but on the whole this hotel represents very good value for money, and you dont seem to be bothered by the petty little rules that seem to adourn the walls of other Blackpool hotels..........

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank malleability
Stirling
Reviewed 3 October 2011

After another great weekend at the Ruskin with my mate, i would like to thank the staff for another plesent stay. had a few good nights in the bar and once again the food was amazing. great helpings and plenty to choose from. would not stay anywhere else and a few more friends are looking to go next year as everyones been talking about it. you'd be mad to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank AStewartStirling
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Third time we have stayed at the hotel, food and service is great, rooms are clean and tidy, staff are very friendly, and location is excellent, cant fault the hotel and cant wait to go back next year

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple