“Good service and good food!”

Nawaaz Indian Restaurant
Get food delivered
OR
Get food delivered
Ranked #40 of 1,275 Restaurants in Leicester
Price range: US$8 - US$13
Description: We are a new business and opened in early October 2015. We are located on London Road close to Victoria Park, Train Station, Leicester University, and DeMontfort Hall. Due to our close proximity we have become a popular eatery for people visiting the DeMontfort Hall. We serve delicious Indian food at a great value price. Customers are allowed to bring their own alcoholic drinks. We also have a function room which can be used for charity, family and corporate events. Come and give us a try.
Reviewed October 13, 2021 via mobile

Me and my partner went to Nawaaz restaurant on a Friday night with some friends.
We were the only ones in the restaurant (which worried us all a bit considering it was 8pm on a Friday)!
However, the service and food was excellent.
We got lots of free food too, which was a bonus. Poppadoms, rice and extra dish with our meals to all share which was a nice touch. Not forgetting the complimentary ice cream and sweets at the end.
You can take your own drink into this restaurant to enjoy with the meal and offered takeaway boxes for the food we didn’t manage to finish.
Lots of selection on the menu.
Very reasonably priced.
Only downside for me was that the restaurant seemed very dated.
But that wouldn’t put me off returning for another meal.

Date of visit: October 2021
Write a reviewReviews (538)

Reviewed October 5, 2021 via mobile

We went to this restaurant just before a show at the De Montfort Hall. Lovely food and the service was excellent, a nice complimentary ice cream at the end.

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed September 19, 2021

I was excited to make a rare visit to Leicester yesterday for the rugby and used the Trip Advisor website to find a recommended curry house in the city centre. The Nawaaz was near the top of best Indian restaurants, so I booked a table for 2 in advance.

We were greeted and sat down to 3 complimentary poppadoms with 2 tiny accompanying chutneys, a sharp and insipid bright yellow sauce presumably intended to resemble mango chutney, and a mixture of finely chopped onions in a tamarind sauce. This was also unpleasant and lacking the usual fiery kick of tamarind. No mint and yoghurt sauce or lime pickle, but hey, it was FREE so who's complaining ?

The starters of course were not. I ordered "Hot Meat" on a prior recommendation from this website and all I can say about it is that the description cannot be disputed. Alongside a couple of slices of cucumber and tomato was what can only be described as a "dollop" of indiscernable pulled scraps of left over meat covered in a spicy sauce. Absolutely no idea what meat it was, as I say probably just a mixture of unusable leftovers. My mate ordered the Mixed Kebab which was equally disappointing, a few chunks of burnt, over-cooked meat with a pitiful "salad".

We were ravenous and still eagerly awaited our main courses. I had ordered chicken tikka balti "madras hot" and asked for the sauce to be rich and creamy like a masala. My mate ordered tandoori mixed balti. We also ordered one keema rice, one mushroom pilau rice and 2 garlic naans.

My chicken tikka balti was very poor quality chicken, small chewy chunks that had a bright red outer coating like tandoori chicken, and the sauce which was supposed to be creamy and madras hot was just watery and tasteless, completely lacking the spicy kick I had been craving. Almost identical to the woeful sauces sadly dished out in the majority of Indian restaurants along Brick Lane in London, but that's another story. My mate said the sauce accompanying his tandoori mixed balti was equally insipid. It's as if the same base curry sauce had been used for both our meals and maybe everyone else's in the restaurant.

The garlic naans were limp, flacid, almost opaque pancakes barely the size of a small poppadom. They were not remotely pleasant, lacking in garlic and butteriness and with strange red discolouration. We had a couple of mouthfuls each and that was enough. My keema rice was the only acceptable part of the meal, though very pricey at £4.50, and the mushroom rice was also fine.

All in all though, extremely disappointing, and we both left half our meals. We declined the complimentary ice cream, expressed our displeasure to the waiter, but in true British fashion paid the bill and left. The restaurant was surprisingly busy considering the quality of food we had been subjected to, but then it was a Saturday night not long out of lockdown. If this is one of the best Indian restaurants in Leicester then I would dread to experience those lower down the list.

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed August 30, 2021

On the basis of a visit a few months ago, with friends, I have been having take aways from Nawaaz. They have been getting progressively worse, using scraps of meat and the last, where I ordered a sizzler mixed grill was full of scraps of bones not fit to be given a dog.

Date of visit: August 2021
Reviewed July 17, 2021

First time visited with family and it was amazing. Food was delicious. Customer service was amazing! The waiter was very polite and had so much knowledge on all the dishs ! I'm looking forward to dining here again.

Date of visit: July 2021