“Great new hotel”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Lincoln
lancashire
“Great new hotel”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed for one night, we messed up the booking yet reception was so nice and helpful even gave us one of there amazing warm cookies! room clean modern and very comfortale. Not much in the way of parking and you have to pay £10 to park but it is right in the city. Service was very high standard, although we ate out we did stay in bar for drinks afterwards, staff are very proffessional, even though it was early hours morning, no one was rushed to finish drinks.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Philip W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln, responded to this review, 20 May 2012
Dear reviewer, Thank you for you positive feedback. We are very grateful for the cooments about our hotel and service.

Best wishes

Philip Walker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
Colchester
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Last Friday evening(20/4/12) we arrived at the Double Tree Hilton around 9.45pm after a 3 hour trip from Essex for a weekend break in Lincoln, immediate warm welcome by Maria including 2 Cookies(Nice touch). Our room was superb and the bed huge and comfortable.The breakfast was superb and we were not rushed,the evening meal was also first class and the friendliness by your staff was very much appreciated.Notable staff were Maria(who I believe has now left for America - she will do well,a great personality as well as a friendly face)Emma and Laura all of which helped make the stay very enjoyable for the Wife and I .On arriving home I found I had left my computor charger in the safe - Laura put my mind at rest and said she would sort it - which she has done. Well done to all,no doubt we will be back - Thankyou,The Marshalls.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barrie M
Philip W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Thank you for your comments. The team really like to get there names on the site. Maria has left for America and she will do a great job over there.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Regards

England
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here on a Saturday night. Easy check in with the friendly and helpful reception staff.
Decent sized room on the fourth floor with views over the wharf (if you cricked your neck!) and an office block. Our friends on the opposite side of the corridor had views to the Cathedral, the hotle next door and the wharf (if you cricked your neck).

Took lunch in the restaurant, three courses, all excellent and thoroughly enjoyable. Apparently everything was made in-house. Not had peanut butter ice cream since a visit to the states many years ago.
The waitress advised having dinner as that is when chef really lets his imagination go. However as we were there for an evening concert we were not able to have dinner.
We did call into the bar (top floor with views over the wharf) on our return in the evening, quite lively and good value cocktails. An express lift that only travels between the ground floor and the bar ensures reasonable security for the hotel.

Had an excellent nights sleep in the large bed with quality quilt and bed linen. Although our friends were disturbed by some oiks in the next room attempting to get in the linking door.
Breakfast was a buffet with lots of choice, well presented and easily accessible.
The staff at the hotel were all happy to help and seemed cheery and supportive of each other, generating a good atmosphere.

My only criticism is that the writing on the toiletries was a bit small and difficult to read without glasses (codger view). Please please please can hotel chains arrange with the suppliers of these items to have what they are written in a decent sized and clearly defined font. Washing ones hair with body lotion doesn't seem to work as well as with shampoo!

We would certainly stay here again and try to have dinner in the restaurant next time.

Room Tip: The higher up you are the better the views.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you review, we were really pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, i am sorry that you experienced problems with the toiletries and have passed your comments onto our purchasing team at Hilton to see if anything can be done with the lettering in future.

We hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I stayed for a weekend booking direct through the Doubletree website. I had the 2012 Weekend package which included dinner on the first night and breakfest both mornings at a good price.

When I first arrived at the hotel I was welcomed warmly, checked in promptly and was offered assistance with my bags to my room.

The hotel has only been recently built and therefore is modern. My room was spacious and so was the bathroom. The room was very nice and comfortable. There was large desk, plenty of draws and two chairs. The TV was fairly large and well positioned, Sky Sports 1 was available(despite what another review says) and the normal freeview channels as well. Free wireless internet is available, it can be used for several days but you have to re enter your details every 24 hours. The free included internet is OK and not particular fast; this is because you can pay extra to have high speed internet.
Being a typical modern hotel the room was air conditioned and you are unable to open the window. The lighting was good if you you turn all the lights on. There was about 8 separately switched lights and lamps in my room, which gave you plenty of lighting options! All the lights and power in the room go off when you remove your key card and leave the room. Which is handy but not great when you want to charge your phone while you go to breakfast!
Overall the room was great.

I dined in the restaurant on the first evening, it is located on the 5th Floor and has views (depending where you sit) in to Lincoln. The food was very well presented, cook well and very tasty. The service was also prompt.

I also used the fitness suite, which had some very well equipped cardio machines, there were also a wide dumbell range up to 20kg and a multi gym weight machine.

All the staff in hotel were friendly and helpful.

The hotels location is good being on Brayford Wharf there are a number of bars and restaurants very close to hotel. It is walking distance to the main shopping and nightlife area in Lincoln centre. It also close to the university.

The only criticism I had was that on that Hotel restaurant could be larger and have more staff for breakfast. I had to wait 15 minutes for a table on the second morning. The General Manager seems to be aware of that recommending that guest eat before 9am for the best experience. However that is not really acceptable when staying on a weekend most people like a leisurely morning, especially if they have been enjoying the nightlife the night before.

Overall my stay was great I would definitely recommend the hotel and I intend to stay there again. One of the best hotels I have been to for a while.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Adrian S
Philip W, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Lincoln, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Thank you for your kind review.

I really appreciate you answering points raised in other reviews as this gives us confidence that we are getting things right.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you encountered at breakfast, we do only have a small restaurant and at weekends guests do like to have a more leisurely breakfast, this can increase waiting times so we always try to give the guests good information to help them plan there day starting with breakfast, at weekends sometimes it helps to come down earlier.

Thank you once again for your fantastic feedback.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2012

A really nice, modern hotel, right by the Brayford Marina. The hotel was let down by a few small details which spoiled our stay. There are some TA reviewers for whom this would make it a 1* review but I think you have to look beyond a few small problems and think about what the hotel would typically be like for you in the future, rather than for me in the past.

The Chinese guy on reception was brilliant and was the best feature of service for our (one night) stay. The main problem was that the hot water wasn't hot enough for a shower before we went out for the evening. The girl on the so-called "Care Line" said that we were the first people to complain - the implication being that we were either wrong or lying! The water temp was, at best, hand hot - 40 degrees, maybe. “I can move you to another room” - which wasn’t any use to us as we were, by then, overdue to be going out. I pointed out that this was unlikely to confined to our room and was told that the maintenance man was on holiday. The lady on the phone did phone him and she said that she would call a plumber.

We got back that evening to find reception unattended. The sole occupant of the foyer was a scantily-clad, tattooed lady who had passed out, very drunk, on one of the chairs. There was no security and a complete absence of your staff. Nonetheless, we went to bed thinking that the plumbing problem would have been solved.

In the morning, we awoke to find that the hot water was even cooler – less than 20 degrees, I would say. So, no bath and no shower. At breakfast, we were shown to our table and asked whether we wanted tea or coffee - 20 minutes later, it hadn't arrived and I had to ask again.

After breakfast, we checked out and were asked “was everything alright with your stay”. I explained that it wasn’t and briefly told her of the problem with the hot water. “Oh, we don’t usually get this problem but several people have complained this morning”, she said. So, it obviously wasn’t confined to our room.

Really, not very good at all, but the rooms were great, the breakfast was pretty decent and I don't think it would be as bad as this next time. Or maybe it would? Life's full of surprises, but on the whole, I would still use this hotel again. But then again, I am a bit of a risk-taker!

Room Tip: I would suggest that you go as high up as possible - we were on 4th floor, which was good - as in th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay.

I have made contact with you by email regarding your comments, but i was pleased to read that you felt the front office team did a good job.

We did experience some minor issues with the boilers which caused the problem with the hot water you described, i am sorry we took longer than expected to fix the issue. We have learnt from this situation and hope we ahve resolved the problems going forward.

I hope we have the pleasure in welcoming you back in the near future.

London
Reviewed 13 April 2012

This is a very pleasant, upmarket hotel that adds choice to what used to be a thin offering in Lincoln.

Good environment, and generally decent service. Breakfast and bar food were both excellent.

On the downside: silly Internet policy that gives you 24 hours free but then charges, which is an odd penalty on longer stays. Sky Sports 1 is advertised but wasn't available. And the premium larger room with balcony was at the back of the hotel and was a bit dark, despite having a view of the Cathedral over the rooftops.

But I'd definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Dear Londoner5870,

Thank you for posting your review on our hotel, i was disapointed to read that your experienced issues with our internet service which is free to all guests during there stays with us, the system does require you to log back in after 24 hours and we have contacted our service provider to see if we can get this changed. We do have SKY Sports 1 availiable in the bedrooms and we are looking into why you were unable to get it, this is on a separate channel to our freeview selection on our TV's, you cannot access SKY 1 from the freeview section. We will ensure there is clearer instructions on our TV guide on how to access it.
Thank you for your feedback and we hope that you do return in the not to distant future.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights over the Easter break with my wife and our 16 year old daughter, I tried to find just one fault to put on here but I couldn't, hotel, location, staff and rooms are all excellent.
I've stayed in a few hotels and I can honestly say this is one of the best.
Staff were very friendly and very professional.
We stayed b&b, the food was very good and hot. Rooms were kept spotless, clean towels every day.
Do try the new Electric Bar, it's very vibrant and the drinks are very reasonably priced for a hotel.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to anyone
Thankyou for a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank micma5
Really positive feedback and the staff are really pleased with your comments. We really appreciate the recognition you have given the team. Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we hope you tell alot of people about us.