“Proud as a Peacock...so they should be”
Review of The Peacock Inn

The Peacock Inn
Ranked #102 of 463 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 21 August 2017

I have always heard good things about this pub and so I was looking forward to going for a meal there with family. I have been in the past but I had heard that they had a new chef and so I wanted to see what changes there were, if any.

Firstly, I like the fact that although there are changes on the menu, they are subtle and not too over the top. It is apparent that there is a respect for the previous menu and sometimes changes aren't necessary, as the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it.'

What I was pleased to see was the introduction of more fish that didn't involve batter. Although traditional pub meals are fantastic, it is nice to have to mixture of traditional and modern cuisine.

For starters, I ordered the twice baked cheese souffle and my father ordered the bruschetta. Both were fabulous. The souffle was light and fluffy inside with a well balanced sauce and the bruschetta was well presented and not overwhelming as some can be. Just enough but not so much that you can't face a main course.

For mains, we ordered the pie, fish and chips, the Jack's Sizzler and the lemon sole. Everyone was happy. It was good to see that the pie is a proper pie with full pastry. Lots of filling and gravy. The fish and chips were great. The fish was cooked to perfection and the batter wasn't only heavy, especially as my mother doesn't really like batter but loves the fish inside. The sizzler was fabulous and everything was cooked perfectly. My only personal preference for the lemon sole, and this is purely my opinion, is that only a small amount of sauce is on the plate and the rest comes in a jug. The sauce is delicious but rich and I do love lemon sole on its own, especially when it was cooked as well as it was so I felt like the fish was literally swimming in sauce.

I did leave some because I wanted a dessert as did my father. I had the banoffee parfait and my dad had the belgian waffles. Wow, if you have a sweet tooth, make sure you have space for dessert. The waffles were recommended by the waitress and she was not wrong, they were amazing. The banoffee parfait is a fabulous idea and was exceptional.

The waiting staff were lovely, the atmosphere was friendly and I would happily return to try some of the other dishes on the menu. Overall, for 5 of us, including 2 bottles of wine and beers, the price was £114 which I thought was good value for money.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

Visited the Peacock again for their Sunday Lunch offering.
We didn't arrive until 7pm but the food was still available and was both tasty and good value for money.

Reviewed 10 June 2017 via mobile

Great great food at reasonable price. Lovely atmosphere and very friendly staff. Been many times and will be continue to frequent the peacock.

Reviewed 5 June 2017 via mobile

We visited The Peacock Inn as a mixed age group of friends on a Saturday night in June. The main bar was full of football watching drinkers but the restaurant to the rear of the bar is well partitioned off and even on a Saturday night you can enjoy a nice quiet meal. The staff were great, friendly, quick to serve us and would frequently check on is during the meal. The food was very delicious, I had a half rack of ribs which was full of flavour and ample for an evening meal, it came with salad and chips and was cooked to perfection.
The restaurant was very quiet and even as a party of 10 we were served quickly.
Meals are cheap and great value for money.
I would highly recommend this restaurant for traditional pub food. Great food, good service and excellent value for money.

Reviewed 4 June 2017

It is some time since we went to this reastaurant since we noted it had a 0 rating for Hygiene (Scores on the Doors). It use to be our favorite venu for a pub meal. Hope the rating goes up soon.