“New Chef - What a shame!”
Review of The Peacock Inn

The Peacock Inn
Ranked #85 of 453 Restaurants in Lincoln
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 August 2017

Went for Sunday lunch on 27 Aug. First of all the picture of the Sunday roast shown is not what you get now. It used to be a good helping with lots of veg, but that was with the old chef. The new chef seems to want to put everyone on a diet. Tiny portions of veg in little dishes - 4 green beans, 10 peas, 2 tiny carrots - and the roast pots are not even one potato, just 2 little roast nuggets about the size of pebble; you need a spoon to eat the mashed potato as it was more like a thick soup and the braised lamb is stringy reformed meat. Eton mess to follow which was a glass full of squirty cream from an aerosol canister with bits of strawberry in it. On top of that the service was SO SLOW. What a disappointment .

Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Can't speak too highly of this place. Where do I start? Good food, charming staff good value wine (those who know me will understand that this is high on my priority list!). If I'm in Lincoln again, I'll be back.

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

I have to say that I'm pretty dammed disappointed with the manager/staff of the Peacock. Way back in March of this year I rang and booked a birthday buffet party there for 50 people to be held in the afternoon of 22nd December.I was given a price per head and assured that we would have the entire restaurant to ourselves and would be free to have music etc etc.Very pleased with this I invited said friends and family!
Yesterday, out of the blue I received a phone call from the peacock telling me that it wouldn't be possible to do a buffet for up to fifty people that day,as it was their busiest day and that they could only do the sit down Xmas menu for thirty.i was offered an alternative date after Xmas but this didn't fit in with my other plans. So, as it's now almost September and the chances of me finding another available venue are pretty slim, you can imagine my displeasure. Not happy at all!!!Please feel free to share!

Reviewed 21 August 2017

I have always heard good things about this pub and so I was looking forward to going for a meal there with family. I have been in the past but I had heard that they had a new chef and so I wanted to see what changes there were, if any.

Firstly, I like the fact that although there are changes on the menu, they are subtle and not too over the top. It is apparent that there is a respect for the previous menu and sometimes changes aren't necessary, as the saying goes, 'if it ain't broke don't fix it.'

What I was pleased to see was the introduction of more fish that didn't involve batter. Although traditional pub meals are fantastic, it is nice to have to mixture of traditional and modern cuisine.

For starters, I ordered the twice baked cheese souffle and my father ordered the bruschetta. Both were fabulous. The souffle was light and fluffy inside with a well balanced sauce and the bruschetta was well presented and not overwhelming as some can be. Just enough but not so much that you can't face a main course.

For mains, we ordered the pie, fish and chips, the Jack's Sizzler and the lemon sole. Everyone was happy. It was good to see that the pie is a proper pie with full pastry. Lots of filling and gravy. The fish and chips were great. The fish was cooked to perfection and the batter wasn't only heavy, especially as my mother doesn't really like batter but loves the fish inside. The sizzler was fabulous and everything was cooked perfectly. My only personal preference for the lemon sole, and this is purely my opinion, is that only a small amount of sauce is on the plate and the rest comes in a jug. The sauce is delicious but rich and I do love lemon sole on its own, especially when it was cooked as well as it was so I felt like the fish was literally swimming in sauce.

I did leave some because I wanted a dessert as did my father. I had the banoffee parfait and my dad had the belgian waffles. Wow, if you have a sweet tooth, make sure you have space for dessert. The waffles were recommended by the waitress and she was not wrong, they were amazing. The banoffee parfait is a fabulous idea and was exceptional.

The waiting staff were lovely, the atmosphere was friendly and I would happily return to try some of the other dishes on the menu. Overall, for 5 of us, including 2 bottles of wine and beers, the price was £114 which I thought was good value for money.

Reviewed 13 June 2017

Visited the Peacock again for their Sunday Lunch offering.
We didn't arrive until 7pm but the food was still available and was both tasty and good value for money.