“Children-hostile”

Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre
Ranked #19 of 98 Hotels in Liverpool
Reviewed 13 April 2012

My impression of the hotel was fine up until this: I had promised to take my daughter swimming before dinner, as we saw the pool was open. She is six years old, and is learning to swim. However, as we entered the pool area, we were informed by the staff that no children were allowed before 4PM. At first I thought she was joking, as I'm not used to that kind of eighteenth-century attitudes towards children. But she wasn't, and I had to explain my crying daughter that she was unwanted in the pool, which by the way was nearly empty. As if we would have disturbed anyone, practising to swim! Neither did I see any signs or notes saying that children were unwanted at specific hours.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank HSorlie
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Dear HSorlie,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We apologize for any confusion surrounding our pool hours. We are also deeply sorry you and your daughter were not able to enjoy our facilities during that time of your stay. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit. During you next visit, please speak with the Front Desk to verify the pool hours for our hotel guests.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27746165

There are newer reviews for Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed at the Crowne Plaza for one night after a day at the races. We prebooked and prepaid so check in was easy. Car Park was £10 overnight (we stayed > 24 hours), and although some of the spaces were a bit narrow, if you drive past the reception and round the side there are more available that appear to be wider (this may be an illusion brought on by several Range Rovers being parked out front!). Room was spacious and had good facilities. Hotel restaurant was a bit limited and quite pricey, but that is probably to be expected of a city centre hotel. We decided to eat out. Used the excellent pool, sauna, steam room the following morning, and although I didn't have £1 for a locker the guy on the leisure club reception offered to loan me one! Breakfast was fantastic. Huge choice of hot and cold food, juices, tea, coffee, etc. Very good quality too. Went for a nice walk along Princes Dock and past the Liver building (opposite), before a smooth checkout. Overall can't fault the hotel and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mike0210
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. It is always a pleasure to hear such positive feedback about our hotel and location as we recognize the advantages it presents us with.

We are always monitoring our hotel and guest feedback to ensure we offer the best value for money and I appreciate your comments regarding our hotel restaurant and prices. I am glad to hear you had the opportunity to use our excellent Leisure facilities and found our staff helpful too. We offer a large selection of hot and cold breakfast items that will suit everyone’s taste and I am pleased to read you agree.

Once again thank you for your time and kind words. We are proud to hear you would like to stay with us again and cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

I've stayed in the CP LIverpool a few times, both for leisure and business. The hotel is well situated on the waterfront and very handy for visiting the city centre. The rooms are not spacious, but adequate. the beds are fairly comfortable, but the pillows are either rock hard or totally flat. Service has always been good and remains so. However, I think the hotel needs a bit of a "spring clean". The decor is looking dated and tired. With the many new hotels that have opened up over the past two years in Liverpool it's about time the CP got itself back in shape.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steveb5708

I value the time you have taken to comment on your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I am pleased to hear you found our hotel well situated as it is in close proximity to a number of major attractions in Liverpool. Our location allows us to have numerous bedrooms that capture the beautiful views of The River Mersey and Docks.
In regards to your comments concerning the pillows, we do have alternative feather pillows which are provided upon request. Here at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool we operate a 24 hour reception team who are more than willing and capable to assist all of our guests during their stay. Please do not hesitate to contact us as we fully understand the importance of a restful nights sleep.
We are always monitoring our hotel and guest feedback to ensure that high standards are retained. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding the décor and I would like to assure you that all comments are taken on board.
Once again thank you for your time and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre very soon.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

Reception was efficient, parking was £10 for the night. Usual "would you like to join our loyalty rewards scheme"

Room was nice, not the biggest but very comfortable. Bathroom was a nice size, shower over bath and very clean.

I didn't eat except for breakfast which was a bit of a shambles to be honest, 4 of us got put on a table that was only really big enough for 2. My colleague ordered a poached egg and 20 minutes later he asked the waitress where it was and she scuttled away to find out, she came back and announced that the chef wasn't happy with the first one and was cooking a replacement which would be with us in about 10 minutes. We got up, checked out and left.

Stayed: February 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I truly appreciate your feedback regarding our comfortable and clean rooms.

I am sorry to hear that our Buffet Breakfast was not to your satisfaction. We pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service and hence are always very pleased to receive constructive feedback from our guests to ensure that high standards are retained.

Once again thank you for your comments and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I had a business trip to Liverpool and decided to take my wife so we could both explore Liverpool. The Crowne Plaza in the City Centre was the perfect location, close to the shops, Cavern and quay. The staff were friendly and helpful, and we were both made to feel very welcome - quick and easy internet access, excellent accommodation (Club room) and a superb breakfast. I would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Liverpool either on business or leisure.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
CrownePlazaLiverpool, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to comment on your stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your time with us and truly appreciate your kind words regarding our hotel, friendly and helpful staff. We are proud to hear you would recommend our hotel to others and cannot wait to welcome you and your wife back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

I was in Liverpool for business and used a booking service I usually use who came up with Crowne Plaza. Generally, Crowne Plaza tend to be more up market hotels and whereas this was definately better than a Premier Inn, it certainly isnt the top end of this groups hotel portfolio.
Having said that, my room was comfortable and the bed was excellent. Water pressure was good and there were lots of fresh towels and even a robe, which is pretty rare these days as people tend to swipe them! When booking in, I was kept waiting too long but the lady behind reception was very pleasant and informed.
I was'nt told what time breakfast was or where the stairs were but they were pretty over-worked and i found out quite easily.
Breakfast was a typical buffet type thing with greasy eggs and greasier sausage, there was no menu for choosing something other than the buffet, as I prefer poached eggs on brown toast, I was disappointed by this; this may change during the week though?? I also had to wait 10 minutes for someone to ask if I wanted tea or coffee, this despite quite a lot of staff in the restaurant. The other major gripe about this place is the fact you are charged £20 overnight to park your car, I think this is a blatant rip-off because even if you didn't want to pay it, there is nowhere else nearby to park your car.
Finally, I was woken up by the maid barging in to my room at 8.30am wanting to clean my room.

Pretty negative stuff but the reasons this place does well for me is the outstanding location, literally on the docks and very close to the city centre. I also managed to get it for a very cheap price, £89 inc B&B which is a bargain for this type of hotel. However if I had paid full price, the rating would have been 2 stars. My advice would be, if you can get it cheap and want to be close to the tourist stuff stay here, if you have to pay over £100 go to Premier Inn!

Room Tip: Stay here at the wekkend when they have cheap rooms, if you are paying full price either try the Pre...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Dear davidpridmore,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what feel below your expectations. I'm deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into. If there is anything you need next time you stay with us, Please do not hesitate to let us know.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed 5 April 2012

We recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool in March 2012. The location was very good on the Liverpool waterfront and close enough to bars etc without being noisy. The hotel itself is very good and we upgraded but the room we upgraded to was no better than the original other than it had a view over the Mersey. Staff were very attentive and the breakfast was excellent. All in all we had a good weekend and would definitely use the Crowne Plaza again

Room Tip: Not sure the upgrade was worth the money
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank albionHalesowen

Thank you vey much for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us here at the Crowne Plaza Liverpool City Centre. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your weekend and appreciate the feedback regarding our staff and excellent breakfast.
We are always monitoring our hotel and guest feedback to ensure we offer the best value for money and I value your comments regarding room upgrades. If you wish to upgrade to one of our executive rooms you also have access to the Club Lounge. The Club Lounge is accessible for all guests who book an executive room or a suite. It is a separate room which only your room key cards will let you into. The Lounge offers afternoon tea between 1-3pm as well as complimentary drinks and canapés between 5-7pm everyday. Also we have complimentary continental breakfast options for guests to enjoy. Should you wish to return to our hotel please feel free to make us aware of your preferred room type, as we do have non upgraded rooms with beautiful views of our Mersey River and Docks. We always do our best to meet and exceed our guest’s expectations.
Once again thank you for your time and kind words. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.