“down the hill”

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Used to go Cafe de Hong Kong, now is called Long Ji Hong Kong Cafe and my favourite dish is Hainanese Chicken Rice. They cooked a very smooth Hainanese chicken but recently i visited again and ordered Hainanese Chicken Rice, what a disappointed of the chicken not smooth as usual. even not many customers nowadays.

Don't think i will go again

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Now called Longji, this Chinese restaurant suffers from average food, abrupt service and a complete lack of flexibility for its customers.

Not realising the restaurant was split over three levels, we sat down in the middle of the first floor, then when I noticed there was a second floor which was air-conditioned and had lots of nice window seats, asked if I could move. No, I was told, because we had already ordered. Nice.

The food was pretty average - my "crispy noodles with chicken in a satay sauce" was essentially undercooked Super Noodles in a gelatinous gloop which tasted nothing like a traditional satay. The drinks were good however, with the black bubble tea with milk really hitting the spot.

At one point in our meal, 2 bowls of brown liquid were plonked down on our table with no explanation. We had to ask what they were - free soup of the day, apparently.

Will not be returning unless dying of hunger.

Reviewed July 28, 2014

Upon exiting from Leicester Square Tube Station, look no further then Longji Cafe De Hong Kong!
I consider myself to be pretty well versed in all forms of Asian Food and this is definitely up there with the best. The fact that there were only Chinese people eaing in there was what attracted us and we were not disappointed! Fantastic Service - the proprietor spent a lot of time "selling" their signature dishes and we plumped for the combination of 2 BBQd meats - crispy crackling roast duck and roast belly pork, steamed rice, salt and chilli king prawns and choi sum in oyster sauce, acoompanied by a bottle of very nice Stellenboch White wine. All exceptionally tastey and excellent value. I will not be eating anywhere else in London from hereon in! Unbeatable IMHO.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This place is handy and the food is good. Staff much friendlier and nicer than the usual Chinatown surliness. Food is good and there is loads to choose from and it never breaks the bank. I like it, its handy for the theatre or a bite at any time of day.

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Having walked past this restaurant in various guises possibly hundreds of times previously, last night we went in for something post-theatre that would be cheap and cheerful. It absolutely served its purpose. The food was tasty, after a judicious application of soy sauce, and the portions were a great size; not too small, not too big. The staff, although not fluent in English, were still helpful and friendly. There was a small mistake with my order; a free mango pudding was forthcoming with profuse apologies. Best of all, we were replete for £20 for two of us. For post-theatre, we'll go back again.