“For families on a budget.”
Review of Cafe de Hong Kong - CLOSED

Cafe de Hong Kong
Price range: US$10 - US$53
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed January 20, 2015

The only reason I would recommend this place is because my family and I ate here for less than twenty pounds. We ordered, off menu, noodle soup, one with barbecued pork and one with barbecued duck. I am not going to pretend it was delicious, because it wasn't. However any lingering regret at having randomly chosen to eat here, because it was empty, quickly disappeared when I got the bill. I had to check with the waiter that it was correct; nineteen pounds!

I cannot think of anywhere in central London, where you can have a sit down meal of hot food, for two adults and two kids, for less than twenty pounds. So for that reason and that reason only, I would recommend this to penny pinchers and hard pressed parents on a budget.

Beware, though, I am only recommending the noodle soup! The food I saw being eaten by other clients, looked greasy and lack-lustre. The menus were tattered and dog eared and the restaurant appeared disorderly. So, if you are looking to lunch as part of an occasion, you do not want to come here. If you want to save money and fill your belly with noodle soup, you do.

Reviewed August 24, 2014

This cafe is now called Longji, maybe under new management?? It was my first visit, ordered Macanese Curry Seafood Rice, Sweetcorn and Fried Fish Rice, Stir Fried Choi Sum, to drink Ice Lemon Tea and Taro Smoothie. Food took about 15 mins to arrive, in the meantime got the drinks plus complimentary chinese veggie and meat soup. Overall the food lacked seasoning, more spice and coconut milk was needed in the curry rice, the fish in the sweetcorn rice was very dry, suggested to me that is was not fried to order, though the portions were generous, the stir fried choi sum was good. No problems with the service. Bill came to just under £30 with tips.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

First - this restaurant is now called Longji.

I went there because I liked the cafes styles food in Hong Kong and this place looks similar to those. Plenty of choices in the menu and it does make you feel like home if you are from HK. However, the service was horrible. I didn't expect proper customer services in this place but the staff were very miserable, serving in a very rude manner. I was even wondering if I have done anything wrong to upset them! I have been to many restaurants in Chinatown and I have no problem usually. But this one is really horrible.

Food wise, it's ok but certainly not great quality. I guess they want to make it a casual eatery, so not bothering too much on quality. Unfortunately it is not cheap either. For the price there is really no difference to go to any proper restaurants nearby which you might as well.

1  Thank manchai
Reviewed August 8, 2014

Used to go Cafe de Hong Kong, now is called Long Ji Hong Kong Cafe and my favourite dish is Hainanese Chicken Rice. They cooked a very smooth Hainanese chicken but recently i visited again and ordered Hainanese Chicken Rice, what a disappointed of the chicken not smooth as usual. even not many customers nowadays.

Don't think i will go again

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

Now called Longji, this Chinese restaurant suffers from average food, abrupt service and a complete lack of flexibility for its customers.

Not realising the restaurant was split over three levels, we sat down in the middle of the first floor, then when I noticed there was a second floor which was air-conditioned and had lots of nice window seats, asked if I could move. No, I was told, because we had already ordered. Nice.

The food was pretty average - my "crispy noodles with chicken in a satay sauce" was essentially undercooked Super Noodles in a gelatinous gloop which tasted nothing like a traditional satay. The drinks were good however, with the black bubble tea with milk really hitting the spot.

At one point in our meal, 2 bowls of brown liquid were plonked down on our table with no explanation. We had to ask what they were - free soup of the day, apparently.

Will not be returning unless dying of hunger.