“ Best Chinese restaurant in london”

Royal China - Baker Street
Ranked #6,555 of 24,678 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$73 - US$78
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Marylebone
Reviewed April 5, 2018 via mobile

We had a positive experience dining here with my family. Decent Chinese meal not for take away experience. I would highly recommend this place in baker st. Be warned there are 3 Chinese restaurant along baker st. The food and service was great . We felt satisfied to the max.

1  Thank DrHenreich

Reviewed April 2, 2018

My experience at this restaurant was so incredibly horrific that it motivated me to create an account on this site, just so that I could leave this review.

My friends brought me to this restaurant to celebrate my 20th birthday. Although it was such a lovely surprise, as I am a great fan of Chinese cuisine, the experience at the restaurant really put a downer on the evening.
The service at this restaurant is appalling. The waiter brought us to our table, dumped a stack of menus in the middle of the table and walked off. There were four of us, yet we were only given 2 menus. We then had to wait 20 minutes before anybody came over to ask us for our order and when we tried to ask about the different options, we were met with short brusque answers, which were generally unhelpful.
Our food took approximately 30-40 minutes to arrive which was not an issue within itself since we were distracted by our conversation. However, after taking so long to be brought out, one would expect an extremely high standard of food. Instead, we were met with greasy, tasteless dishes which were absolutely not worth the extortionate prices we were being charged for them - I could have walked to my local Chinese and got better quality food for 1/5th of the price!
Throughout dinner, the waiters hovered by our table, almost as if they were rushing us and waiting for us to leave. Every 10 minutes or so we were asked if we were finished, which I found to be incredibly rude. It also made conversations uncomfortable, as the waiters were practically listening in!

The WORST part of the entire evening was when we received the bill. The restaurant had tacked on an optional service charge which we had decided not to pay due to the shoddy service we had received thus far. When we explain to the waiter that we would not be paying the service charge, he began to argue with us and essentially forced us into paying the charge. This is completely unacceptable - we, as diners, are completely within our rights if we refuse to pay a service charge, so I was horrified when we were bullied into it.

I will be filling an official complaint, and will be following this up with relevant authorities. I felt I had to warn others about this restaurant before they decide to come here - absolutely avoid if you're looking for a friendly chinese restaurant with good food and good service. Royal China fulfills none of those criteria.

3  Thank Suzy A
Reviewed April 2, 2018

The food in here has gone downhill dramatically and the service is shocking!

We came back to the restaurant 1st April to be left thoroughly disappointed in both the food and the service.

The duck comes with nowhere near enough pancakes so that when you ask for more they bring loads more and charge you an arm and a leg for them. meanwhile they take so long to come that the duck goes cold. The mains were bland and mostly cold - very disappointing!

When we asked to take an extortionate "recommended" 13% service charge off because of the poor service, the manager came over to argue. He would then not let us take off the service charge and argued for twenty minutes that we were wrong for needing more pancakes.

This manager does not know what he is doing and as a result you will wait for ages for service, you will likely get your food cold and maybe even the odd fight!

4  Thank Jonny H
Reviewed March 30, 2018

This restaurant is justly renowned for the freshness, variety and exquisite tastiness of its dim sum. The rest of the food menu also is of a compable standard. The service is welcoming, knowledgeable and responsive. Prices, for Central London, are reasonable too.

Reviewed March 19, 2018

We had a family lunch at the Royal China on 19th March 2018. The restaurant is situated on the Baker Street at 24-26, London W1U7AB. We started with Chinese Tea followed by Prawn Dumpling, Minced Pork Dumpling, Shanghai Pork Dumpling, Roast Pork Bun, Pan Fried Gyozas, Roast Pork Puff, Peking duck and Fried Chicken Noodles. The food was excellent and the service commendable. I could not compare the food to any other Chinese restaurant that I ate in the recent past - that they were so good. For six adults and one child the total cost including mandatory 13% gratuity came ti GBP 128.82 which I thought was a good price. I would highly recommend the Royal China.