“Nice little modern place”
Review of The Hydrant

The Hydrant
Ranked #5,788 of 25,068 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$18 - US$36
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: City of London
Description: Among the very the best bars in the City of London, The Hydrant serves up great food, craft beer, wine - and a stunning view of The Monument to the Fire of London.
Reviewed June 29, 2016 via mobile

We came around the corner, saw it all lit up, and said "Yes!"

Maybe small portions but decent pricing so I think of it more like tapas. Friendly service and good tap selection. We thoroughly enjoyed an hour there, charging our phones at the same time!

Date of visit: June 2016
Hydrant_Manager, Deputy Manager at The Hydrant, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2016

Hello Mo649!

Thank you for the kind words!

The small portions tie in very well within our menu offer - you are right to say it is similar to tapas. You are more than welcome to come back and use our electricity to power up and get going again.

See you 'around the corner' again soon.

Thanks,
Jonathan Ward

Reviewed June 11, 2016 via mobile

This pub is another Fullers pub however it is bespoke and has a different menu. We had the lamb and beetroot salad and I can say that it has been the best meal of our visit to London.
Funky interior and good service.

Date of visit: June 2016
Hydrant_Manager, Deputy Manager at The Hydrant, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2016

Fiona B,

Thank you. Both off our new menu and as I can see both hit the spot. I am glad you liked our décor too...

Hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed June 8, 2016

We visited The Hydrant for mid-day drinks after lunch at the Borough Market. The Hydrant is a Fuller's pub and we knew they had Black Cab Stout on keg, which is one of the best reasons to be in London in my opinion. This is not a traditional pub. The décor is modern and it's very light, which can be refreshing when faced with the prospect of another dim old pub to visit. Despite being affiliated with Fuller's, the pub serves a variety of other beer, which is nice if you want something other than Fuller's. We didn't eat here but the menu looked good.

Date of visit: May 2016

Hi Jonathan (good name)

We are able to sell a range of beers and we also like to promote new-upcoming breweries in London so we are glad you can see that. Black cab is a winner when it comes to stouts so chocolate-y and delicious. Next time you are in London you should check out our brewery and see how/where it is made and defiantly stop by here and try our menu!

Thanks,
Jonathan Ward

Reviewed June 6, 2016 via mobile

Popped in here for a private party for a friends 40th birthday. Had a room upstairs which was lovely. Two staff looked after us very well. Great selection of beers, spirits and wines.
Excellent food too. Loved the sliders and the kofta kebabs. Great guacamole too.
Good time was had by all!

Date of visit: June 2016

Hey Jazzmouse1 (Great name)

I love how direct and honest you are! we pride ourselves on giving tip-top service. We also like going the extra mile when it comes to birthday's. If there is anyone else you know that is hitting a milestone point them in our direction.

Thanks!

Reviewed May 25, 2016

I dined mid evening with family. The decor was nice and the place was clean. That is where the positive comments end.
My partner ordered Lamb. This arrived with 3 tiny slivers of lamb, half of which was fat! This was accompanied by some pomegranate and a dressing. My burger was ok but the bun was stale. It cost £8.50 which is reasonable but then I was told that price did not include any salad/chips etc. I had to pay £4 for a small bowl of chips. The squid dish consisted of 4 tiny pieces of squid and not much else.
A member of my party spoke with the manager who said that they serve this menu as it is popular. I find this difficult to believe as there was only one other table occupied. The manager took the lamb and squid dishes off the bill.
This dining experience was a total disappointment, and the menu did not provide much choice.
I will not be returning but this restaurant probably depends on tourists, and only needs to make a profit from them once, before the next tourists arrive the next day.

Date of visit: May 2016

Hello Vania170973,

We are sorry that your experience did not exceed the standards we set ourselves and that you expect.

When you came in we had only just released our new sharing menu - which several plates changed style, presentation, size through-out the week. I can confirm since you have been in we have changed the cut of lamb as we agreed with you that previously it did have to much excess fat. Thank you for raising the concerns with the manager on shift and I believe she did deduct it from the bill for you.

Our business thrives on tourists and business staff alike please consider us for when you are next in the area. I am sure we will provide better quality food.

Kind Regards,