“Not the best experience”

No Ten Manchester Street
Ranked #261 of 1,069 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Not the best experience”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I booked a nights stay here last weekend. I'm from London, but my partner and I had a busy weekend planned, so decided it would be more convenient to stay centrally. I was drawn in by No 10's fairly favourable reviews and boutique status. Sadly it disappointed.

When we arrived and were given our room, we were presented with a bathroom that seemed to have been abandoned mid-clean. We were moved to a second room, but this had two single beds rather than a double. After protesting (to the apparent surprise of the staff) we were shown to a third room (room 308). Third time lucky! Or so we thought...
- I decided to take a shower and noticed that the moisturiser provided had been used, as well as the shower cap set! The shower cap was missing from it's cardboard box, which contained the open wrapper and a hair band.
- The bathroom door had a large gap running all the way around the frame, so forget privacy.
- The shower tap was broken and sharp enough to easily cut someone's hand when turning it.
- There was no hairdryer.
- The showers water pressure was feeble.

The room was a little small, and there is no view if staying at the back of the hotel. However, the bed was very comfortable.

The interior of the hotel is attractive, though the corridors are scattered with house-keeping trolleys, buckets etc. This makes it very difficult to navigate them with luggage. It also makes the hotel look scruffy.

When we were checking out we were 4th in a queue of people and there was only one employee at the desk. I would recommend a fast-track check-out process.

It seemed as though there was a general lack of staff, and the staff that were present were disorganised.

There is no denying the convenience of the location, which is a minutes walk to Marylebone High Street and 5 minutes walk to Wigmore Street and Oxford Street.

6 Thank Lucy T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Ulm, Germany
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I have stayed at the Ten Manchester several times and whilst the prices during the season are high as is to be expected it offers many great things : a great location, but still unbelievably quiet for a hotel in the city center, a friendly and helpful staff that hasn't changed (I by now recognize most faces) and well appointed rooms.

The bathrooms are very well done, the hairdryer and water cooker are excellent and actually do their jobs.

The "Petit Doubles" are really that : Petit. If you're traveling alone, great value. If as a couple, do choose the superior rooms.

I can't comment on the restaurant, as I have never eaten there.

I will definitely return when I next come to London again.

Room Tip: The "Petit Doubles" are really that : Petit. If you're traveling alone, great value. I...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Garches, France
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Very good location, nice and clean room and beautifully decorated common areas, welcoming and helping staff.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel was chosen for it's individuality and good location. From arriving until leaving the staff were efficient, friendly and knowledgeable. The concierge is worthy of additional praise as he arranged all our transport and short notice tickets to Phantom of the Opera, (and good seats they were too).
The room was spotless, literally. Not a hint of mold around the shower, everything was gleaming.
However, the mattress was not so perfect. My wife and I thought it was a little worn and sagged in the middle so there was a some of roll together!
We stayed there with family and friends as it was my 40th birthday. We all booked superior double rooms but there was a noticeable difference in size.
Our parents had Room 305 which was a twin and must have been the largest on offer as it had a half size bath with shower over. A bookshelf and much more floor space. We had Room 408 which was a double, shower only but did have an additional table and 2 chairs. Our friends had Room 401 which was much smaller. It had no table and chairs and very limited floor space. One to avoid I think. The web site does say room sizes vary from 20-22 m sq. The rooms were warm and the air conditioning when running was not that noisy. Another minor niggle was that there were only sachets of Nescafe instant coffee which given the attention to detail on other things is a let down. Tea on the other hand was much better with a nice range.
Room service was also expensive it was something like £15 per person for a continental breakfast.
Drinks in the hotel bar were expensive. It was £13 for a Mojito cocktail. Needless to say we did not use that facility.
Taking all things into account I would stay there again as it's individuality makes it something different alongside all the others out there and I did feel it gives a more personal experience.

Room Tip: Room 401 was very small. Room 305 although a twin was a very good size.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Datchworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have stayed here a number of times with my boyfriend. The service is excellent and we have twice been given free upgrades of our room. The bedrooms are beautifully decorated with sumptuous bathrooms and very comfortable beds too. Situated in the heart of Marylebone, there are lots of great little pubs and restaurants a few minutes walk away. I most definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. Whilst it is a little expensive, it is well worth it...so treat yourself!

FOLKESTONE
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed here last year, unfortunately our first choice the Marylebone Hotel was fully booked. The hotel was very good the room we had was very nice and clean. We tried the restaurant where the food was reasonable. The only problem we had was when we went to check out and found that that we had been given a drinks voucher the night before and found that we had been charged for the drinks. When we queried this we was told that we had ordered a dearer drink than what was on the voucher. After complaining to there credit they cancelled this charge. Also they charged for staff service for the rooms which is something i have come across before. In summary this is a nice hotel but they did leave a bitter taste upon check out.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank CAPTAINBUDHELL
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I recently booked a one-night stay in the Junior Suite as a present for my boyfriend. We had a fantastic experience; the location is good, just a few minutes walk from Bond Street / Baker Street stations. The staff were very welcoming and polite and the room was in beautiful condition with every detail considered and executed well. The bed was like a cloud and I was impressed at how quiet the room was as the windows overlooked the street. I particularly appreciated the sparkling cleanliness of the bathroom and the power of the shower was excellent - for me this is a must! I definitely recommend this hotel, great service and superb value for money!