Albany Hotel
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
    All reviewseuston stationbed and breakfastwould stay againshort walkyogurtfantastic locationbusiness tripconvenient locationbloomsburykey
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 28 July 2017

The Albany Hotel is not what it seems according to website photos. It is dingy outside and inside. Being the first weekend of Wimbledon my preferred small hotel, a few doors away, was fully booked.
    My welcome was perfunctory, the manager handed me keys to number 10 and indicated that it was located on the 3rd floor which is actually up five flights of stairs. Although another member of staff was in the hall as reception took place I was left to carry my luggage up to number 10.
    This room is tiny with two narrow metal beds, faded counterpanes, rickety wardrobe, sticky varnished furniture, handbasin with no hot water and a dribble of cold water, torn dirty sheer curtains, no lamps but a ceiling light with switch by the door whereas the beds are at the opposite end of the room.There are two fabric-covered chairs, in need of a good clean. There is no ensuite. The shared bathroom is down one flight of stairs. The shower was out of order for the duration of my two night stay. On my return from a nearby restaurant later in the evening I switched on the overhead light and was fascinated to find a condom hanging out of the smoke detector in the middle of the ceiling.
    On seeking breakfast the following morning at about 9 am I found all downstairs doors shut and impenetrable and nobody about. I sought breakfast elsewhere and continued with my mission to the British Museum nearby. On my return after dinner that evening I found the bed neatly made up everything else the same, including the condom hanging from the smoke detector.
    Breakfast was again unavailable, the breakfast room door was locked the following morning. On exiting I asked for the manager who could not be found by the member of staff in the hall, who understood little English. It was at best a bizarre experience and at 198£ for two nights - really??

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor are less dingy. There are nicer budget hotels on the same street, book early!
    • Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
    Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Positives

+ The location is good. It's just a few minutes walk from Euston train station.

+ It was cheaper than lots of the other opions. London cheap not anywhere else in the country cheap.

+ The staff were all fine.

+ The room was clean.

Negatives

- No en-Suite. There is a bathroom on each floor but the one on my floor didn't have a working shower.

- The showers. One had the choice between baltic and roasting. The other I tried just had the baltic option.

- The rooms are very dated. It's like staying at your nans house.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
    Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

Me and my sister stayed in a twin room for the night while we were in London for a festival at Finsbury Park.
    The location is perfect, right near a subway and Euston station.
    You really couldn't get anywhere much better for the price. It's nothing special, the shared bathrooms are simple. The shower didn't work and even if it did I doubt it would have been more than a dribble. They give you some coffee and tea but the milk we got was dodgy so we passed on drinking it...

I wouldn't recommend staying for longer than a day or two but as a place to lay your head it is perfect.
    Sadly London prices are silly and if it were anywhere else I would have been extremely uncomfortable paying that price but it's the cheapest you're likely to come across without it being a dump!

Welcoming hosts, flexible check in/out times and clean bed sheets.
    If you need to be in London for an event in the area, don't hesitate.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
    Reviewed 21 June 2017

I stayed at Albany Hotel in April 2017. It is a smalll place, but it is clean and comfortable. The staff is friendly and efficient. The room was compact, but had a good bed, coffee and tea, wifi and a working television.
    The hotel is located in an up and coming area. There are plenty of restaurants and cafes. It's around the corner of a good bookstore. Public transportation is within walking distance.
    This is one of the few budget hotels that offer breakfast. And if you can, you should try it. It is a simple breakfast that is served in the souterrain, next to the kitchen. You will be seated at a large table with other guests. And it is fun to share stories, or not. It's very casual and I - certified introvert - liked it.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
    A TripAdvisor Member
    Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

First the good points: location is terrific, just a 5 min walk to Russell Square tube and lots of cafe's, pubs and shops close by. Will stay in this area again.
    Also the price- this is London and you do expect to pay twice what we paid.
    Friendliness: the owner / manager was friendly and helpful and corrected a problem immediately.

Based on this my husband said 3 stars, however for me it was 2 for these reasons:

Bathroom: no en suite at all. Shared bathrooms on each floor so no cheeky sneaky to the loo half dressed at 2am. The bathroom on our level was out of order so had to go to floor above. The shower was dreadful. It went from barely a trickle to a low pressure that I could just get my hair wet under- except for the fact that it went from ice cold to boiling hot in seconds. No middle ground, no balance. I am tall and I couldn't get under the shower, so I tried lifting it up and holding it over me and got no pressure at all. No bathmat outside of the shower so floor was wet and gruby.

The rooms are very old and dodgy. When I plugged in my hair dryer it interfered with the tv reception. The beds made lots of noise if you rolled over. The rooms are tiny and I kept knocking things over and fumbling about.

Noise: every time a door closed in the building it sounded all throughout the house. The front door made such a clatter it rattled me awake every time someone came in.

Breakfast was limited- cereal and toast. I don't eat cereal ever, choose not to eat toast but needed something so I did. No fruit, no yogurt, no other options. Cereal is fine if you're a 3 year old but I am not.

Don't get me wrong, like I said you would expect to pay twice what we did in London. My husband would have given it 3 stars because he is not fussed about bathrooms like I am and he eats cereal. If you need somewhere friendly to lay your head- this is it.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple