“Heaven in South Kensington”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #35 of 1,090 Hotels in London
Libertyville, Illinois
“Heaven in South Kensington”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

This hotel is a gem; we absolutely loved our stay here from start to finish. The staff is very friendly and welcoming and did everything they could to make our time with them wonderful. The atmosphere in the entire hotel is one of inviting elegance, from our immaculate room to the inviting fireplaces that greeted us each night as we came back from busy days of sightseeing . The Kensington's location is also perfect, being a short walk through a great neighborhood to the tube and wonderful shopping. We felt truly pampered and I can honestly say this is the only hotel we will stay at for all our future visits to amazing London!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank SLJ1
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear SLJ1,
Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Kensington Hotel after your recent stay.
I really appreciate your nice feedbacks and wanted to express my gratitude for that!
It was really a pleasure to look after you and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Please feel free to contact me directly should you need a new reservation.
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel in the near future.
Kind Regards,
Chiara Vierchowod

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Just enjoyed a perfect stay at this hotel. A very helpful staff, and a super clean, beautifully appointed room. Turndown desserts and hot tea added to the cozy yet luxurious atmosphere. The lobby lounge area is charming and cozy, with tea and light fare available day and night. Easy walk to South Kensington tube station. I won't stay anywhere else in London. Looking forward to going back soon.

Room Tip: Some foot noise from guests above me. Ask for a room on 4th floor or higher if you need absolute qui...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank inkqueen
Dear inkqueen,
Thank you very much for your kind review of the Kensington Hotel.
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly at Chiara_vierchowod@doylecollection.com should you need to make a new reservation.
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

Overall we had a nice stay at this hotel. The location is great, rooms are lovely and the lobby/bar area has an inviting Victorian feel to it. The staff, on the other hand, needs further training. When we checked in I inquired about an upgrade as part of my Tablet Plus privileges, and was told my the front desk that no rooms in the upgrade category were available. Found that hard to believe so after we settled in our room I went online and checked the hotel website and sure enough they were selling rooms from the upgrade category for the dates we were staying there. I confronted the manager and was told the front desk person didn't want us to wait while they got one of these rooms ready so told us non were available. Huh? So lying to a customer is better than giving them the option to wait for a better room? To their credit though, the situation was rectified immediately and we were transferred to an upgraded room. The rest of the stay was enjoyable.

One thing to be aware of though is that due to the architecture of the building, the walls are quite thin so it can get loud outside the room at times. So make sure to bring your earplugs...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DeltaNYC
Dear DeltaNYC,
Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us. I am pleased to hear that you like the hotel décor and our convenient location. On the other hand I am concerned to read of your disappointment with our team members and I would like to apologise for not meeting your expectations. I would like to assure you that this is not the norm.
I am confident that what happened during check-in was a ‘one off’ and your comments have already been followed up. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly should I be able to offer you any further help or assistance with your next booking.
kind Regards
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

I’ve never written a review before, but I couldn't help letting you know that this is the most charming hotel I've ever seen.
The lounge area is worthy of the Royal Family: fireplace, newspapers, gentle music, flowers and a quiet and cozy atmosphere. My room was perfectly clean and impeccable in every detail: magnificent furniture, unforgettable king size bed, huge restroom with warm towels and quality shampoo and body lotion.
Never found such an excellent staff: welcoming, professional and always helpful. Room service is really fast and delicious. Free wifi has been a useful surprise.
I suggest to include breakfast in your stay at Kensington Hotel because it is literally amazing: muffins and brioches are fresh every morning; cheese, ham and toasted bread are superb. Here I've drunk the best coffee of England (and the best caipiroska as well..in the evening of course).
Every evening there are the next day's weather forecast and the “good night chocolate” (a little piece of paradise).
The only imperfection is that while you're visiting London you can't wait to return to the hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Tina R,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Kensington Hotel after your recent stay.
I really appreciate your beautiful comments and wanted to express my gratitude for this!
It was a pleasure to look after you and I am delighted you enjoyed your time here with us! Please feel free to contact me directly should you need a new reservation.
I am looking forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel in the near future.
Warm Regards
edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

Had a fabulous stay at this hotel. Stayed in a studio suite it was beautiful. Staff are the best hotel staff I have ever known. Expensive drinks, meals but worth it. Definitely get the continental bfast it's quality. Lovely lounge areas, warm fires, nice windows to look out of. Good location for museums, Harrods but a tube or taxi for other things. Good amount of restaurants, not enough pubs wine bars. Better to drink in the hotel. All in all - lovely!

• Stayed February 2012
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear flyingscotsman123,
Thank you for your kind review of the Kensington Hotel, your feedback is highly appreciated. I am delighted you enjoyed your experience here with us and I have passed your nice comments to our team members. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kensington Hotel.
Northern California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed 6 nights on a business trip last month. Small, but comfortable room. Attentive staff with a wonderful attitude. Same day dry cleaning/laundry right on time. Rock solid wireless internet both in the lobby and in my room -- skype worked without a hitch. Short walk to the Gloucester Road and South Kensington Tube stations. £10 cab ride from Paddington. Good restaurants within the surrounding blocks (I ate at Rocca twice -- nice place if you are eating alone). Another great find on TripAdvisor!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank J24
TheKensingtonHotel, Front Office Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear J24,
Thank you for your kind words about the Kensington Hotel, I really appreciate your comments and I hope to see you soon again here with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to assist in your next booking.
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Staying in London is an expensive and hit and miss affair. The staff, decor and food at the Kensington Hotel all conspire to make your stay as good as it can be. Yes, my room was tiny but this is London and everything I needed was provided from an enormous flat screen TV and a very comfortable bed was there - except a desk. I've never really understoon the turn down service principle but it was good to get 2 Lily O'Brien sweets and the waether forcast at the end of a long day. Breakfast offered a wide and delicious choice. Service was pleasant and efficient. Concierge and reception staff were equally well trained - nothing was too much. The decor is lovely - very special - a real historic feel while being very comfortable.

Room Tip: ask for a desk
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HelenLytham
Dear HelenLytham,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Kensington Hotel, your feedback is really appreciated. It was a pleasure to look after you and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Should you be coming to London again please feel free to contact me directly, I would be more than happy to help you choosing the most appropriate room and look after your booking for you.
Best Regards