“Great Location”

Ranked #36 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Australia
“Great Location”
Reviewed 8 April 2012

The location of this hotel next to Old Brompton Road means there is a wide range of restaurants covering all sorts of cuisines and price ranges. The Sth Kensington tube station is also very close and on a good line for getting to popular sites.

Similarly to other reviewers, we enjoyed the downstairs rooms, especially with the fire going on a chilly March day. The breakfast gets a bit boring after a few days as the range of the buffet is small and generally unvarying.

Typically for London the room was small but clean and comfortable. There didn't seem to be anyway of controlling the room temperature but luckily the window could be opened to let in some fresh air and the street was quiet. One thing that really annoyed us was that the bar fridge had sealed compartments for each minibar item, which meant it was impossible to put anything of your own in it. The fresh milk that my wife loves to have with her tea had to go out on the window sill in the luckily very cool outside air.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aussie7leagueboots
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Aussie7leagueboots,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your experience of The Kensington Hotel. Your willingness to offer feedback is both welcome and appreciated. We were thrilled to read that you so enjoyed the lounge and lobby areas, in particular the fireplaces. Your experience of our breakfast buffet, however, was disappointing; our menus are currently being reviewed by our Chefs we hope you will enjoy it further on your next visit.

In regards to your room while we are glad you found our rooms comfortable and clean we were saddened that you experienced problems. Thank you for highlighting the issue you experienced with your air conditioning unit we have highlighted it with our service providers. As to the mini-bar, it is an automated system however small fridges can be provided upon request.

Should you be returning to London we hope you think of us at The Kensington Hotel, we look forward to welcoming you.

Kind regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge
Reviewed 3 April 2012

This is an ok hotel as a place to crash in London. It is not too expensive, ok rooms, in an older building, that is nice in the lobby, lounge and bar, but upstairs looks quite dated and tired. The rooms are ok, but not 5 star. The bathroom I had again was ok, but with a shower in the bath, and a leaking shower screen, it all felt a little tired. It can be noisy, with no sound insulation or glazing of the window in my room, and I doubt in the others, don't expect a peaceful night's sleep. Does the job, probably value for money, ok location for the museums.

Room Tip: Get as high a floor as possible. Avoid rooms looking out onto the Old Brompton Road.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank drivervet
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear Drivervet,
Firstly I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate these things take time and wanted to extend my gratitude, your feedback as is both valued and useful.
I was disappointed to read that you were dissatisfied with your room on this occasion and found your room noisy. Please be assured that our management team and I take these comments very seriously and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention, it is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve. We do have a quite a range of room categories that generally cater for most tastes so please do not hesitate to contact me personally or any member of our team should you return to London and we can arrange for a room to meet your specific needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Kensington Hotel in the near future.

Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed 30 March 2012

This hotel is a gem. Cozy rooms but super well appointed. Clean, service and staff are phenomenal. Restaurant and room service very good.

It is a non-smoking hotel. However on my second night I began to smell cigarette smoke filling my room. I called the front desk and was told that my floor the 4th floor was a smoking floor, even though the hotel advertises that it is nonsmoking. They apologized and offered a complimentary glass of wine, but really should tell guests this on check in.

Other then this little hiccup, the place met my expectations.

Also no on site parking, but if you park in front of the hotel at a metered space the valet will keep the meter full so you don't get a ticket.

Room Tip: Avoid 4th floor - It is a smoking floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank WHS831
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear WHS831,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London, it was a pleasure to have you stay with us. I was thrilled to read that you thought so highly of Aubrey Restaurant and the service you received from our team. I have already passed on your kind words and the are greatly appreciated.
I was, however, disappointed to hear that your experience was tarnished by the fact our smoking policy was not explained to you. This is not our usual level of service. The majority of our rooms and all public areas are non-smoking however we have designated the fourth floor as smoking to accommodate our guests that smoke. On your next visit to London please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly to ensure that you are not allocated a smoking again.

Lastly I would like to extend our gratitude for your review, I understand it takes time we are grateful.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel in the near future.

Lone Tree, Colorado
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Quiet area, exceptional service. Rooms are very European (very small by US standards) but well kept. We did experience an annoying fire alarm one night for quite some time due to some moron leaving a shower on while they passed out drunk and which took a very long time to turn off which is why I give 4 stars instead of 5. Staff are exceptionally friendly. Tube station is only 2-3 blocks away. Location is good for quiet area but is a ways from the happening parts of central London like Picadilly and Soho. Hotel was expensive by US standards (around $350 per night, 220 pounds) but not by London standards. I don't think there is a really nice hotel in London that is a good value - all the nicer hotels are expensive.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CedarFallsIowa
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 30 March 2012
Dear CedarFallsIowa,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of The Kensington Hotel. I appreciate it takes time and were are grateful. I am happy to hear that our staff treated you so well and overall you enjoyed your stay with us. I was disappointed that your experience was marred by the fire alarm, investigating the source of an alarm can, unfortunately, take some time. I hope you was not too disturbed.

Thank you once again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Cambridge
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We used The Kensington Hotel in February for our wedding day.

We got ready at the hotel, had our meal, hosted a drinks reception and stayed overnight, as did some of our guests.

We have been completely overwhelmed by the service and attention to detail from all the staff members we encountered.

Upon arrival (we were early) we were shown straight up to our suite, which was beautiful. Light, bright and spacious with the most gorgeous bathroom, that included a plasma screen in the bath, and a very large, very comfortable, four poster bed (a stylish one, not tacky). We were very pleased with our room.

The food and service at dinner were both excellent and we received no end of compliments from guests about how delicious the food was.

We had more guests arrive in the evening, where we used the drawing room for a drinks reception. The drawing room is a beautiful space, with open fireplaces and gorgeous decor, very romantic and elegant. The service again was outstanding, no one's drinks ran dry all evening, the staff were on top of everything.

When we returned to our room that evening we were greeted to a complimentary bottle of champagne, candle and rose petals over our bed with a lovely note too. This was such a special touch.

Throughout the planning of our wedding day Kristin and Karthik were very professional and friendly, and made me feel completely confident about the event. They were brilliant. On the day, they were extremely helpful, as were all the staff, with a quick mention to the lovely door man who's name I didn't get, a really nice guy.

Even after the day the service didn't stop, as we had left a gift behind which was swiftly located and sent back to us by recorded mail, of which we greatly appreciate.

As you can probably tell by now we are so happy with The Kensington, it is in a great location, near to Hyde Park and South Kensington tube. We look forward to visiting them again soon and plan to stay on our anniversary (or before if we get the chance) :)

Thank you everyone at The Kensington for making our day so magical.

Room Tip: We booked a suite, which was amazing!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShellLawrence
Dear ShellLawrence,
Firstly congratulations on your wedding and thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel to celebrate this wonderful day. I was delighted to hear that our team here treated you so well, that you enjoyed your room and that you and your guests had such a wonderful experience with us. I have already passed your kind words on to our team, they are so appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come.

n.ireland
Reviewed 6 March 2012

My family and I stayed in the Kensington in August, and what a wonderful experience! The lounge and reception area was absolutely beautiful. An early flight meant we arrived before check-in time, but the staff at the hotel did all they could to ensure that we got into our rooms as soon as possible. It sounds strange, but the entire hotel had the most wonderful smell all the time! It rained for most of the four days we were there but the close proxemity to S.Kensington tube station was ideal as well as the 'Kensington' umbrellas at the door of the hotel which we were free to take out with us each day.

The breakfast was wonderful, we had lots of sightseeing planned which meant we couldn't relax and enjoy all the lovely things that breakfast had to offer. In fact, we didn't really get to appreciate the hotel fully because we were out and about for the most part. It's the kind of hotel that would really be more suited to a couples romantic weekend away rather than a family trip to London - only because you don't want to leave the wonderfully comfortable beds each morning to go sightseeing!

The staff were wonderful, and kept out luggage on the last day until we were leaving for an evening flight, also providing us all with bottled water for our onward journey. My sister was lucky enough to bump into a certain XFactor judge in the elevator which really sums up the exclusivity and luxury of this wonderful hotel!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lmg888
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 9 March 2012
Dear IMG888,

Thank you so much for your review words, I understand it takes time and appreciate your willingness to offer feedback. I was delighted to hear you so enjoyed your stay with us and that our team treated you so well, you so enjoyed our decor, our restaurant and the wonderful smell.

London is a beautiful city and I am so glad you enjoyed your visit despite the rain. Should you wish to come back either as a family or for a romantic getaway we would be delighted to welcome you.

Kind Regards

The Kensington Hotel
Lyon, France
Reviewed 6 March 2012

This was my 5th stay at this lovely hotel and hopefully not my last one!

Still my favourite hotel in London, considering location, value for money and comfort.

Can't wait to go back again!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hirondelle11
Dear hirondelle11,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback on your experience here at The Kensington Hotel. I realise that this takes time and we apprecicate it. I am so thrilled to hear you continue to enjoy your time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again and again.

Kind Regards