“Really enjoyed our stay”
Review of The Kensington

The Kensington
Ranked #37 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Really enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This was out first visit to The Kensington Hotel and we really enjoyed our visit. Rooms are bigger than usual and well appointed.

The hotel has a bit of an "old world" feel but dont let that put you off. Great staff, particularly the guys at the bar who consistantly remembered what drinks we had ordered the previous evening.

Breakfast service was a bit slow but we were on holidays to no big deal.

Great location and we will come back

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear PeterR931,

We were delighted to read your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Kensington Hotel. I have passed along your comments to our team here and your willingness to share your experience is both valued and appreciated. We work hard to do everything we can to enhance your time in London so it is a pleasure to read you enjoyed your visit.

We hope that you think of us on your next visit to London, we would be so pleased to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (370)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My daughter and I booked afternoon tea at this hotel during a recent trip to London. Tea was served in the lounge where there were plenty of comfortable chairs and sofas with a real fire burning brightly in the fireplace. Tea consisted of an excellent selection of sandwiches, warm scones with delicious preserves and clotted cream, and seven cakes for us to share. The gin and tonic sorbet was also a nice touch. The only thing which let it down was the decaf coffee which we requested instead of tea - very weak and tasteless.

We spent a lovely relaxing few hours there. The staff were helpful and friendly ensuring we had a nice time.

When we left we strolled back to South Kensington tube station via Old Brompton Road - spotting The Hummingbird Bakery on the way. Of course, that resulted in a repeat trip to South Kensington another day for coffee and cake there too!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear lindie_h,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Aubrey Restaurant at The Kensington Hotel. Our entire afternoon tea menu has recently been reviewed and everything is hand made with care and attention so we were delighted you so enjoyed our chef’s efforts. In regards to the coffee we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We have highlighted it with our restaurant team and it has been taken under advisement.

We hope to welcome you back to Aubrey Restaurant or perhaps even The Kensington Hotel for a stay soon

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Located very close to South Kensington Tube station,this hotel is really very nice.The lobby and the restaurant ( where the breakfast is served) are chic and cozy.The staff is friendly and efficient;we asked for an early check in ( 10 AM ) and they arranged that without any problem.
The only little " minus" is the room, quite small.
We'll definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear davide c,

We would like to thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. Our team work very hard to ensure your time with us is as perfect as possible so we are delighted to read that you so enjoyed our lobby area, Aubrey Restaurant and the Hotel’s location and that our team treated you so well. Your kind words have already been passed on and are greatly appreciated. Lastly thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of us.

We hope to welcome you back to The Kensington Hotel on your next trip to London

NY, NY
Reviewed 29 April 2012

I'm typing this review as I am sitting in the hotel lobby waiting for my room to be made up. This is my second time staying at this hotel (in town for business purposes) and I have to admit, I am not impressed. For what is billed as a 5 star, luxury type hotel, the customer service and the quality of the room I was given (on my initial visit) are very poor. As you can see from the pictures I've posted, the initial room I was given had a huge water leak in the ceiling, directly above the bed. When I called reception to inform them of this and to switch rooms, instead of sending up the porter, they send a maintenance man. What? While I was then awaiting for the porter to arrive, I began looking around the room and it was very sub-par. Many black scrapes on the walls, I found an empty water bottle between the wall and the night table next to the bed. Just not what I am expecting of a hotel this caliber. I was then shown another room directly facing the street in which I could hear all street noise, cars, honking, etc., Not what I was looking for after a flight from New York. They also had to put my suitcase basically in front of the door to the room because there was no where else to put it. The television was also placed directly in front of the mirror in the room. What is the point of that? How do you use the mirror? I am now here a second time and while I am patiently waiting in the lobby, minding my own business and working on my laptop, a hotel staff worker walked right up to me and basically yelled at me because I had a pastry and a latte from outside the hotel on the table next to me. She had an incredibly accusatory tone and a bad attitude. Not to mention, I'd been sitting here for nearly an hour already so I don't understand what the issue is. I'm a guest of the hotel, not a random person off the street who's waiting to be seated for their brunch. I'm not allowed to have a latte and a pastry after flying a red eye from New York while I am waiting for my room? I really did not appreciate that. She essentially took the bag with the pastry and the latte and threw them away. She did bring me a complimentary latte then but the manner in which she approached me about the situation was totally unprofessional and I do not appreciate the accusatory tone. This has now been 2 not so good experiences in a row at this hotel for me (and I haven't even gotten into my room this trip yet). Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. We have a corporate rate at this hotel but I will not be back. Nor would I ever be able to recommend this hotel any longer to my clients when they are in town as well. There are equally nice places, for equal price, with better rooms and more courteous staff.

Room Tip: Request a back facing or side facing room so you don't get the street noise. Ask for a 5th floo...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Glaxtitute
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Glaxtitute,
Firstly thank you for writing a review and sharing your experience. It is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve. I was very disappointed to read your experience with us was not to the standard we strive to achieve. Please be assured that our management team and I take these comments very seriously and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. I can guarantee that these issues which you have highlighted are currently being investigated fully so as not to have them reoccur. This is not the level of service we strive to achieve. I sincerely apologise for the disappointment on this occasion. I would very much like the opportunity to redeem ourselves and should you be travelling to London again I would be delighted for you to contact me directly so I can be of some assistance with any future bookings.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 27 April 2012

This hotel has recently undergone a £20m renovation and offers a unique townhouse experience better than even the comforts of home (I was pleasantly surprised to find an American plug in our room). The decor is stunning—fashionable and elegant, a place you wish you could afford to live until the end of time. We experienced two different rooms (they were so kind as to upgrade us the last night) and I highly recommend the Deluxe. While both spoil you with fine linens, bathrobes, complimentary wireless and a modern bathroom, the Superior room was a bit small (my only gripe), while the Deluxe room was ironically, superior. The Afternoon Tea looked sophisticated, booming and was unfortunately booked (make advanced reservations), but we did partake in the “Great British Breakfast,” which, while a bit pricey (with the exchange rate), was the perfect way to begin our first morning. And while you never really need to leave, this is in fact, London. So, take a step out your door, you’re only moments from Hyde Park, Kensington Palace, Knightsbridge and tons of shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: The Deluxe room is lot more spacious!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Dear MollyS,

Firstly I would like to express our gratitude for your kind review. We appreciate it takes time and we are thankful you shared your experience of us. Both myself and our team here work hard to ensure your visit to London is as perfect as possible, so we are thrilled to read that everything about your stay from the amenities in your room to your experience of breakfast to the location of the hotel itself was to your expectations.

Please think of us at The Kensington Hotel on your next visit to London, it would be our pleasure to welcome you again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Great location in South Kensington, courteous service and stylist decor are the key features of this hotel. Beautiful neighbourhood and short walk to the tube station and many of London's important museums. Staff was very professional and friendly. The lounge area is beautiful and cozy place to relax, read a book and meet friends. Near hotel is eclectic choice of restaurants. I was there for business but would not recommend it for travellers who need to work from their room since there was no desk (at least in the room I stayed in). Free wi-fi is available.

I have not used the restaurant and the gym so cannot comment on those.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Miss_Gl0betr0tter,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sharing your experience of The Kensington Hotel. We were thrilled to read that you so enjoyed the hotel’s beautiful décor and location. Our team work hard to enhance your experience and so I was happy to read you enjoyed your time with us. We do have a quite a range of room categories, including those with desks should you require one, on your next visit please do not hesitate to contact a member of our team and would be delighted to arrange one.

Lastly I would like to thank you for thinking of us at The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London, we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 23 April 2012

A perfect hotel for a London trip including mainly shopping and some sight-seeing with teen-age daughter. We very much appreciated the friendly and extremely service-minded staff. The location couldn't be better. Such nice neighbourhood where people actually live, not only crowded with hotels and tourists. Close to underground, nice restaurants and walking distance to several shopping-areas like Kings Road.
Our room was small but comfy enough if you don’t spend half day in your room. Most important it had free wifi that actually worked. We had “full English breakfast” included in our package (Leisurely London) but the breakfast buffet was quite enough with a lot to choose from. And tasty.
The lounge area is very relaxing and beautifully decorated. All in all a very nice experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank MmeFalk
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear MmeFalk,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience of The Kensington Hotel. Our team greatly appreciates your kind words.
I was so happy to read that our team treated you so well, you enjoyed the hotel and its location and we were able to enhance your experience of London. I would like to thank you for thinking of us and we hope to welcome you back to The Kensington Hotel soon.