“Charlies”

Ranked #34 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Charlies”
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We just stayed one night and thought the hotel was lovely. Reception staff were very pleasant and even let us check in earlier than 2pm. I found the room very small and was disappointed that the bed linen had seen better days. It was clean and fresh but had holes in several places. The pillow case had a cigarette burnhole on the frill. The room was fine for 1 night but would not have like to stay longer. The service at the bar was very efficient and it was very pleasant and comfortable sitting in the lounge. We found a breakfast place within walking distance which cost about quarter the price.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 55Mary55
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Dear 55Mary55,

Firstly we would like to extend our gratitude for you taking the time to write a review and share your experience of us to the travelling community. We were pleased to read you found our location so convenient and your kind words regarding our bar staff will be passed on. We were disappointed however that you were dissatisfied with your room on this occasion, in particular the bed linen. Our management team and I take your comments seriously and the issue has been highlighted with housekeeping and our suppliers. I would like to thank you for bringing the matter to our attention.

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London, we hope that on your next visit you will think of us again.

Kind Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 May 2012

During a 3-day side trip to London we stayed at The Kensington Hotel for 3 nights, and it turned out to be a great choice. The Kensington Hotel is a 5-star luxury hotel in the same high-end category as, for example, Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons hotels. Though by no means a budget choice, the price we paid was surprisingly reasonable compared to other hotels at the same service level, especially given the location. On the same vacation, we stayed at the Ritz in Paris, and we actually had some minor complaints there, despite paying a truly exorbitant nightly rate. In comparison to that, The Kensington Hotel cost only a fraction and provided a flawless and utterly enjoyable experience. We also had been lucky to come across a special deal that provided a free upgrade to a studio suite for the price of a regular room.
Our rooms were very spacious and had a contemporary design (if you indeed prefer the "classic" look with lots of antiques in the style of Ritz & Co., The Kensington Hotel might not completely match your taste).
The bathrooms, especially, were true works of art (again in a contemporary design). Notably, there is a flat-screen TV in the wall above the bathtub (we're not TV people, but we still thought that was pretty cool).
As expected, the rooms were flawlessly clean, and the nightly turn-down service even left nice little treats like peach ice tea or fresh cherry juice. The staff was always down-to-earth and helpful, especially the concierge. Conveniently, you can get tickets for the common attractions like the Tower, etc., right at the concierge, which saves a lot of waiting in line.
The location of The Kensington Hotel is also very convenient, with the Gloucester Road and South Kensington tube stations both just a few minutes away. Despite the central location our rooms were surprisingly quiet (however, I have to disclose that our rooms were on the highest floor, right under the roof, well away from the street noise, so the noise levels probably vary room by room).
One minor downside, though not an unusual one, is that the breakfast is not included in the price (unless you book a special package and essentially prepay for it). There is a generous breakfast buffet, and hot breakfast items are made to order. It's all delicious, but rather pricy. The breakfast area is very nice and cozy with lots of books and leather, so I recommend to try it at least once.
In summary, we had one of the most memorable hotel experiences at The Kensington Hotel in London, and it was well worth the price. I can fully recommend this exceptional hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms right under the roof are nice and quiet. The hotel often runs specials for free upgrades t...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank raner
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear raner,

Thank you for choosing The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. Our team work very hard to ensure your experience with us is as perfect as possible so it is wonderful to read that you so enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to welcome you. Your kind words regarding the staff, the hotel’s location and décor have been passed onto our team here and are greatly appreciated. We hope that on your next visit you will think of us again.

Lastly I would like to extend our gratitude for you taking the time to write a review, your willingness to share your experience of us is very welcome.

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 May 2012

This is a charming looking hotel built within a series of townhouses in South Kensington close to Hyde Park. The public areas are sumptious and the staff are all extremely welcoming and helpful. That said the rooms are disappointing in that they don't deliver the level of convenience you might expect in a property of this level. We booked a superior room and the first room we were given was nicely decorated but had an odd triangular configuration that resulted in one side of the large bed being difficult to access. The reception staff were very helpful and allowed us to check out three further rooms - all had issues and we settled on 429 on the 4th floor as it met most of our needs. It had a large bathroom with heated floors a window and a tub shower as well as a hand held shower. All sides of the queen side bed were easily accessible and the two windows could be opened and it was quiet and private. Quibbles: there was only one chair (there was plenty of room for more) only one luggage rack, no clock (why is that?), a blow dryer but nowhere to plug it in near a mirror. I had to unplug a bedside lamp. We did get body lotion provided on asking - there was none in any of the four rooms we checked. At 20 pounds the breakfast is way overpriced for what you get.

Room Tip: While the 4th floor is designated as a smoking floor it had the best room for our needs and didn'...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bollucks
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear bollucks,
Thank you for thinking of us at The Kensington Hotel for your visit to London. I was delighted to read that our team treated you so well and you enjoyed our public areas. We were, however, disappointed that you weren’t completely satisfied with your room. As I am sure you saw whilst viewing different rooms they can differ in layout and design. We appreciate your comments regarding room 429, it is only through our guest’s feedback that we can continue to grow, our management team and I will take them under advisement. Should you be returning to London please do not hesitate to contact us here at the hotel to discuss your room needs.

Celle, Germany
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The Kensington Hotel is a lovely boutique hotel, just 5 minutes from the South Kensington Tube Station (Picadilly, Central & Distict Line), although if you have time it's more fun to take the 14 bus along Old Brompton Road,Hyde Park,Picadilly Circus to Oxford St. The surrounding area is beautiful and fun to explore-as well as the V&A & Natural History Museum, you can take a short stroll to the famous shopping street King's Road in Chelsea and pass St. Luke's Church on the way, where Dickens was married. The lounge areas and bar are beautifully and tastefully decorated and it is a pleasure to take afternoon tea there or read the papers in the morning. My only quibble was the size of the room, which wasn't big enough to unpack 2 cases, although well equipped with marble in the bathroom and a very comfortable bed. Next time, I would book a Deluxe for 2 people. Altogether, a very pleasant experience and we look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gurke13
TheKensingtonHotel, Owner at The Kensington, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Gurke13,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience. Your willingness to take the time is greatly appreciated. We were thrilled to read that you so enjoyed the hotel, it’s décor and it’s convenient location. We were disappointed that you weren’t completely satisfied with your room. The Kensington Hotel is converted Townhouse and while that adds to the charm of the hotel it means our rooms differ. Should you be returning to London please do not hesitate to contact us here at the hotel to discuss your room needs.

Thank you for thinking of us at The Kensington Hotel

Singapore
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 5 nights and had a terrible experience with payment and promises. To cut the story short we had an email confirmation for 185 pounds inclusive of breakfast but was told during check in that breakfast was not included. I wonder what inclusive meant. And was told that breakfast Can be purchased at 20 per head.

After flying for 20 hrs we didn't want to argue and went o the room. The room was frightfully tiny and the shower had so little save I knocked my elbow twice. I am 48 kg and only 158cm. We are not tall and I shudder to think how anyone taller or bigger can manage.

On the night before we checked out I found the email confirmation and called the front desk to share. The assistant manager Gillian was hostile and unfriendly and called me back to say she was confused. Well so am I. No efforts were made to show the hotels mistake and the blame was seemed to be put on us instead. She said the morning manager will take care. I asked her What that meant. I can even feel her rolling her eyes at me on the phone. I told her I did not want to explain the situation twice and before we caught our flight to Berlin.

In the morning the operations manager Andrea kept on asking me these questions/ comments:
- did you not have time for breakfast?
- did you knw what time breakfast was?
- if you wanted breakfast so much we can provide at a charge

I am not sure what the confusion was since I had the confirmation in black and white. At one stage she even said this is strange and we can't honor that. Obviously reservations and front desk don't communicate!! Since it was suggested that bf was at 20 per pax I asked for a decent refund. I was again met with confused looks and hostility. Now she changed tact to say oh it costs 10 per pax, not 20 ( so that the refund is less).

In short they don't honor email confirmations so beware. Even when shown evidence they say they can't honor that nor be held liable. Throughout it all, I was made to feel their hostility and no mention was made of the fact that I wasa customer and I stayed 5 nights and even had dinner at Aubrey. When asked about the size of the room she said oh European hotels are small. We have travelled all over Europe so don't give me that attitude or statement.

All in all it left a supremely bad taste in our mouths and I will bring my 5 nights money somewhere else definitely. We travel to EU at least 3 times a year and have never been told email confirmations are not honored!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
15 Thank Michloh
Dear Michloh,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, I appreciate these things take time and wanted to extend my gratitude, your feedback as is both valued and useful.

I was disappointed to read that you encountered problems with your reservation and you were dissatisfied with the level of service. Please be assured that our management team and I take these comments very seriously and I would like to thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. It is only with our guest’s feedback that we can continue to improve. I can guarantee that these issues which you have highlighted will be investigated fully. I am almost certainly you are aware that this is not the level of service we strive to achieve. I apologise for the disappointment on this occasion.

I would very much like the opportunity to redeem ourselves and should you be travelling to London again I would be delighted for you to contact the hotel directly so we can be of some assistance with any future bookings.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Kensington Hotel again very soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2012

This was out first visit to The Kensington Hotel and we really enjoyed our visit. Rooms are bigger than usual and well appointed.

The hotel has a bit of an "old world" feel but dont let that put you off. Great staff, particularly the guys at the bar who consistantly remembered what drinks we had ordered the previous evening.

Breakfast service was a bit slow but we were on holidays to no big deal.

Great location and we will come back

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
TheKensingtonHotel, General Manager at The Kensington, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear PeterR931,

We were delighted to read your kind words regarding your recent stay at The Kensington Hotel. I have passed along your comments to our team here and your willingness to share your experience is both valued and appreciated. We work hard to do everything we can to enhance your time in London so it is a pleasure to read you enjoyed your visit.

We hope that you think of us on your next visit to London, we would be so pleased to welcome you back.

Liverpool
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My daughter and I booked afternoon tea at this hotel during a recent trip to London. Tea was served in the lounge where there were plenty of comfortable chairs and sofas with a real fire burning brightly in the fireplace. Tea consisted of an excellent selection of sandwiches, warm scones with delicious preserves and clotted cream, and seven cakes for us to share. The gin and tonic sorbet was also a nice touch. The only thing which let it down was the decaf coffee which we requested instead of tea - very weak and tasteless.

We spent a lovely relaxing few hours there. The staff were helpful and friendly ensuring we had a nice time.

When we left we strolled back to South Kensington tube station via Old Brompton Road - spotting The Hummingbird Bakery on the way. Of course, that resulted in a repeat trip to South Kensington another day for coffee and cake there too!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear lindie_h,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of Aubrey Restaurant at The Kensington Hotel. Our entire afternoon tea menu has recently been reviewed and everything is hand made with care and attention so we were delighted you so enjoyed our chef’s efforts. In regards to the coffee we appreciate you bringing this matter to our attention. We have highlighted it with our restaurant team and it has been taken under advisement.

We hope to welcome you back to Aubrey Restaurant or perhaps even The Kensington Hotel for a stay soon