“Perfect for what you pay!”
Review of Elmwood Hotel

Elmwood Hotel
Ranked #385 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2017

Me and my girlfriend stayed for one night on a Saturday and for what we paid it was perfect. Only a 5 minute walk from King Cross/St Pancras. Greeted by a friendly member of staff who checked us in quickly and the room was available for us at 11am.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Elmwood Hotel

Reviewed 12 June 2017

This is without a doubt one of the worst hotels I have stayed in. The staff were rude, the room was dirty. The bedside lamp flickered on and off and the switch made a buzzing electrical noise. As for breakfast, I cannot comment as the service did not start until 7.30. I had to leave for work at 6.45am. When I told the person on the desk he said, "It's not my problem!" My partner could hardly believe her ears. When I went out I had to hand my key into reception (as if I was a little kid).
When I was leaving this morning I had some heavy bags and the man on the desk looked up at me, but did not offer any help. When I handed my keys in the man said nothing. Not even a thank you.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank philmercer16
Reviewed 9 June 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for one night. The hotel is well located, reasonably priced, offers free wifi and close to Kings Cross train station and plenty of shops and eateries. The room was tiny and the bathroom was cramped. It was clean and had a window overlooking a quiet street. The staff were friendly and helpful. You have to leave your key every time you leave the hotel. I wasn't keen on this. They offered luggage storage for a small fee of £5. They waived this fee as we only left our luggage for a couple of hours. Free breakfast was included but as we didn't dine there I can't comment.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 June 2017

I stayed at the Elmwood midweek for business, in a triple room on a B&B basis.

The Room was a reasonable size, although very little space with a double and single bed. It contained a small ensuite bathroom.

However, my experience was very poor...
1, Double Bed - Mattress was uncomfortable, I could feel the springs in my back! I couldn't get any sleep due to this.

2. No soap or shower gel in the bathroom, only shampoo! This is a must have. The owner stated I should have advised reception - but the room was on the 3rd floor and this was discovered in the morning as I was getting ready for a shower; Furthermore, there was no phone in the room to ring downstairs!

3. Dark shower curtain - when this was closed, it was very dark in the shower cubicle and ought to be a clear curtain to let light in! Not a good experience.

4. Lack of Floor towel to step on - I nearly slipped on the flooring as the room only had bath towels;

5. Breakfast - no fruit available and limited selection of items to choose from; also the staff did not speak to customers or smile, and seemed unfriendly.

I have stayed around the Fitzrovia area and regularly stayed in similar georgian house conversions paying generally £80-120 a night for B&B and had the usual basics that one would expect of a hotel (of any standard).

I have since written to the owner to request 50% discount based upon the poor experience. He replied expressing that the rate was expected ( I would agree IF the room was of a reasonable quality); that no one else has complained about the mattress (this is unbelievable) and that I should have called to reception for soaps (not practical, as already explained in the scenario) etc...

With this attitude, it's no wonder they only have 2.5 stars on tripadvisor!

Better alternatives are the Euston Square and The California (my fave).

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank j45anj
Reviewed 11 May 2017 via mobile

Nice little budget hotel in Argyll square a few hundred meters from kings cross.
I stayed in a single room which was a bit small but clean and perfectly serviceable.
Reasonable breakfast was in the price.
I would stay here again

Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank nige2760
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Thanks for your recent review towards your stay at Elmwood hotel,we appreciate your faithful words and we thank you for your time sharing your experience online with other travellers, we hope to welcoming you again whenever you travel to London.

Reviewed 2 May 2017 via mobile

The positives are that the staff are lovely and a real credit to the hotel!- The place is spotless and well maintained the breakfast was ok- not to my taste because who eats cheese and cucumber for breakfast but the rest was edible. This is where the positives end!
The double room was extremely small with the bed pushed against the wall so you had to crawl to get out of bed! There obviously then was only one bedside table and bedside light which was fine for the person on that side- but not for the person against the wall!! The tea making facilities were extremely limited only getting 2 tea bags and the cups were tiny - could be nice to upgrade to mugs for a decent size cup of tea! The bed had a sheet and blanket- very out dated as I'm used to hotels having duvets which are much more cosy! The wardrobe wobbled....ALOT and I think it was only the safe at the bottom that kept it from falling over! The bathroom was the size of a postage stamp and the health and safety police would have a field day!! The main issue was the floor tiles!- clearly tiles meant for walks not floors because as soon as they are wet they become slippery! This is both in the shower area and when you step out of the shower. Shower mats for both inside the shower and as you step out would be a cheap solution if retiling is too costly! As it's a double room 2 water glasses would be nice- after all as paying guests it would be nice to have facilities each not sharing! Towels there was only very small bath towel and that was it- no face towels! The breakfast room was tiny - just because you have 2 hours for breakfast doesn't mean the guest won't all want to eat in first 1/2 hour so they can get out early to do whatever they are in London for!
I'll end with a positive and that's the station is so very close to the hotel making it appealing to access London! There's also a McDonald's at end of road too!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Thanks for your review towards your stay at the Elmwood hotel,we appreciate your time and sharing your experience online with other travellers, we promise to upgrade our service in the near future and we hope to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 28 April 2017

Guy on the desk was friendly, The room was clean but tiny, not even room for a suitcase. Desk had peeling surface, bed had very poor quality mattress. Shower was a curious affair that sprayed the wall but not me. Radiator couldn't be turned on and it was cold. Room was just off reception and the noise all night of people coming and going made it impossible to sleep.Breakfast room was full so had to queue. Once i got a seat there was no coffee and the toast was anaemic poor quality bread. Poached egg was nice. Nothing else edible so I left after spending longer queuing than eating. So of the two basics, sleep and food, it failed. It can't get worse than that.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank ian d
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2017

Thanks For your review towards your recent stay at Elmwood hotel,
First of all please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
I remember you stayed in room number 8 , when you came and reported the radiator issue and I turned on to you straightaway, and the issue resolved
I see it is a bit tough from you to address Elmwood hotel as worhotel ever.
,however we apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay and we promise a better service in the near future.