“The worst, most degrading hotel experience of my life”
Review of Elmwood Hotel

Elmwood Hotel
Ranked #386 of 563 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Writing this from my hotel room:

There is a big dirty hand print on the wall over my bed.
The bedside light buzzes and flickers.
My girlfriend was not allowed into the hotel due to a 'no visitors' policy. Disgusting, degrading treatment. I have never heard of this in any hotel before.
The bed feels about 10 years old.
The concierge is abrupt and unwelcoming. No greeting besides "How do you want to pay?"
You have to leave your key at the desk when you leave, like you're in a youth hostel. Which isn't far from the truth.
The WIFI is so poor that I can't even upload the photos of the dirty marks on every wall.
Great location: everything else about this place is tatty, degrading and I wouldn't stay in this place again even if it was free.

Room Tip: Go anywhere but here.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Thanks for your review towards your recent stay at Elmwood hotel
if you don't mind let me remind you that we accepted your visitor and she stayed
in your room in the afternoon, but it is clearly ,mentioned in a large sign at the reception
visitors are not allowed after 11pm specially you booked a single person and paid fees for a single person but you wanted to bring additional guest free of charge & its is against your
reservation policy.

leaving the room keys at the front desk protects you of loosing the key outside
and I can't see any problem with leaving the key when you leave the hotel, and our reception is operated 24 hours.

our wifi is free we don't charge any fees for using the service and we are not responsible
about the quality of your device.

at the end I promise we will improve our service in terms of quality of the beds but again all our mattress are just less than one year old.#
Thanks for your review
John Girgis

There are newer reviews for Elmwood Hotel

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

An excellent distance from St. Pancreas station, we arrived just after 10 pm to a 'creepy' man who gave no greeting but instantly asked for name and payment. We were on the top floor (nightmare with 2 heavy suitcases). I hardly slept with youths and loud music outside. I felt uncomfortable in this hotel and would not stay again.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janetjanet463
Reviewed 11 August 2017

It is about 5 mins walk from Kings Cross Station. I just needed a single room for one night and cost me £50.00 bed and breakfast. My room was fine, clean with tv, wi-fi and tea & coffee provided. Bed comfy. Also, on suite bathroom with shower, plus soap and shampoo/conditioner provided. Breakfast better than l expected. Tea, coffee and fruit juices to drink. Various cerals. Boiled and scrambled eggs, ham, cheese plus as much toast as you wish and various jams. Lots of people going back for seconds & some thirds!!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Dustydog2
Reviewed 25 July 2017

I booked this hotel through booking.com, for a birthday trip for my best friend and twin sister. We wanted somewhere with a good location, close to underground links, and a triple room for us to share.
After struggling to find somewhere that had location, availability and a triple room, we found Elmwood Hotel.
It looked a bit basic considering the £180 price tag for one night, but we were running out of time, so booked it.
On arrival, we were somewhat disconcerted, as I'm not sure how they're able to refer to themselves as a hotel - this feels like a B&B.
After speaking with a wholly disinterested individual on the front desk, we were given a key to a room on the third floor - lots and lots of stairs, no lift - this is not the place to be if you are infirm or disabled in any way.
The room was in the eaves of the roof, and words fail me to describe the impact this nasty, tiny, cramped, smelly, stuffy room had on us.
This room was where we were actually going to stay, and I'd just paid out £180 for the privilege.
Nasty, filthy looking bed covers, ancient mattresses, not enough room to put anything away - there was no way any of us were going to use the tiny, mould ridden bathroom for anything other than necessities..... the only redeeming thing about the entire experience is that it was only for a single night.
The next morning, we sceptically went to the 'breakfast' room, where 2 incredibly angry looking women were working in the kitchen. The food looked absolutely gag worthy, and all the people in the room had the same shell shocked, aghast look that we felt.
The milk was rancid, and stank, and one of the women tried to tell me it was fine, so I removed the lid from the jug and made the other woman smell it, at which point they took it and replaced it.
The cheese slices looked like they'd received many outings to the buffet area and no one appeared interested in touching anything on that table.
We drank black coffee, had some toast and fled the place.
if you're paying anything more than £50 or £60 a night to stay here, you're being massively ripped off.
I should have paid much more attention to some of the more recent comments on tripadvisor regarding this 'hotel'. I won't be making the same mistake again.

You may review the pictures and think 'it's not THAT bad", but having paid out £180 for one night's stay, yes, I do think it's that bad.

Room Tip: don't bother.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Paula-IT-Queen
Reviewed 22 July 2017

After booking on booking.com I realised I had booked the wrong date, minutes later I tried using the contact information on google (email address and phone) and then tried using the contact information on their website (email address and phone). No answer via any method, I left 2 answerphone messages requesting to change my booking and to contact via phone or email. Days later received a reply saying that they couldn't accept my cancellation as the date had already passed and they had reserved that room for me and were unable to resell it. However they would have been able to sell it if they were at all contactable. Awful service.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Window wouldn't close and just had that unsafe feeling. Lamp shade was cracked and table was chipped. Curtains hanging off and only half of head board visible. Bathroom very small. Dirty cups in room. For the price paid expectation was much higher. Was on top floor and no lift. Only good thing was the WiFi!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Katrina M
John G, Manager at Elmwood Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Thanks for your review towards your recent stay at Elmwood hotel, please accept our apology for any enconveince caused during your stay , and do not judge us from one night stay , it would be great if you could email me direct please and I can sort some discount to you .
And all the issues you mentioned I have reported to the management to fix it straightaway.
John Girgis

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

We were in room 28, heating didn't work at all. Complained to the man at reception 3 times during our two night stay and nothing was done.
Room was very dated, run down almost. Ugly, old, musty red bedspreads that aren't washed as often as the rest of the sheets.
The bed was so noisy and creaky just sitting on it, god help the other guests if a couple decided to have some fun.
They still have the old sash windows in, don't close properly and leave a gap in between. This coupled with the no heating situation made for a very chilly sleep. See attached pictures.
Bathroom is a shoe box that anyone larger than a 7 year old would struggle to use, towels that they provide are hand towels not bath towels. 1 hand towel per person aswell.
Room safe didn't work either.
Was instructed by the man on reception that our room key must be left at reception every time we left the premises, never heard this before. He also assured us that no one would enter the room while we were gone, as I didn't feel my belongings were safe. The reason for this policy according to the man is that, they don't have a master key.
After specifically requesting no maid service and asking no one enter the room, the maid came in and moved our belongings and made the bed. She actually made the bed over clothes I had laid out for changing into that day!!

Didn't attempt to try the breakfast option after seeing the shambles that they called "accommodation"

The "secure luggage storage" that they charge guests £5 per case to use, is the hall way behind room 8 that everyone in the hotel has access too.

Trading standards need to visit this place as they cannot provide a basic standard of service and charge you £100 a night for it. Payment is taken before you even see your room, which seems shady to me.
If I had known this beforehand I wouldn't have stayed there.

The only good thing - close to Kings Cross Station.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family