“Good value for location”

Best Western Maitrise Hotel
Ranked #751 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Good value for location”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I got this venue discounted to £225 for three nights. The staff were lovely but we did not know we had to give them an additional £50 deposit in case of damage which we were not prepared for. The room was spotless and clearly someone made the bed each day. The shower was great and after walking around London all day was awesome. The room was TINY though. Yes we had a double bed but the room was so small. The biggest annoyance was the lack of warning about building work outside the window. I mean the scaffolding was literally our view! I accept they can't control it but a heads up would have been nice the night before rather than hearing it at 9am! The window does not open so be warned if its hot, the air con doesn't keep the room cold. It was stuffy and consequently had to have a shower every morning and night just to feel fresh. Generally we were really happy as it was so close to the train line and underground and in zone 1 and on the day for checking out they allowed us to leave our bags with them in a locked room till 7pm which was a blessing as we could walk round London for the whole day without a suitcase in tow.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aimee F
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments regarding your recent stay with us.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your visit & I was especially pleased to see that you noted how clean our rooms are.

I do understand your point about the building work & I hope that that when the work is complete & the hotel has been extended you will return to stay in one our new rooms.

It will be pleasure to welcome you back & I hope that next time I get to meet you!

P Kennedy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I normally stay at The Marriott on a regular basis but one night I walked past the Quality Maitrise Hotel in middle of the night with my girlfriend which we did not notice and was greeted by a member of staff (his name badge said James) just outside the entrance.

I thought he was very kind because he asked how was our night and if we stayed here before?!
I told him that we currently staying at the Marriott and haven't notice this hotel he looked surprised because he said this is a very popular hotel and insist we should experience staying at the hotel and we wont be disappointed he advised us we would get the best rates on the Quality Maitrise hotel website which was brilliant because the rates we paid in Marriot was double.

After a fortnight we stayed and checked in the night by James he was delighted to see us and gave us a warm welcome as we book in a VIP room 3 nights. Very pleased with the expectation expected, one little thing was I phoned the reception and wondered if the chocolate and water was available because it was not in the room which was stated in the website but It was not a problem because James sorted that out in a instant.

What made our experience was defiantly James he was very happy to help, bubbly and thumbs up to his customer service always made sure any problems to inform him. Was not sure about the other receptionist it was wiered I would expect the day receptionist with the level of customer service and doubt the night, but it was the other way round.

Lastly very happy and will defiantly come back in the near future I wanted to personally give recommendation and a good word of praise to the manager about James when we checked out but I was told he does not work on the Sunday and that he was available on Monday so I hope this review will forward to the manager or owner.

Thank you James and will be looking forward to seeing you again in the near future!

TIPS: 24 Hour newsagent around the corner and ask James for a 24 Hour pizza menu if you are hungry middle of night because they deliver!

Room Tip: vip room top floor is great
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alexie123
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your very kind review of your stay with us.

Naturally we are very pleased to read such positive remarks & it is clear that James made a significant difference during your stay. He has received many good reviews before so it is a real pleasure to hear even more feedback about him.

I do hope that you will consider returning to the hotel in the near future & perhaps we will have the opportunity to meet when you come back to see us.

Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at The Quality Maitrise Hotel for one night for my birthday in March. Overall I was impressed with the hotel, the staff seemed friendly and accommodating, we wanted to iron some clothes so we phoned reception and an ironing board and iron was outside our room within minutes. We travelled to London on a Wednesday then checked into our room, left our bags there and went shopping. On the Thursday, we had to check out of the room by about 11am and we had plans to go to Madame Tussauds and lots of other places that day before we travelled home that evening and didn't really want to be carrying our heavy bags around everywhere with us, we asked at the hotel reception and they kindly said that we could keep our bags in a locked 'cloakroom' at the hotel while we enjoyed our day and could go and pick them up later. This was a great help for us and made everything so much easier. The rooms were very modern, clean and comfortable and the hotel was only two minutes walk from the nearest tube station which was brilliant as we travelled around London a lot in the two days we were there. We only booked the hotel the day before we travelled via laterooms.com which cut the cost down considerably. However, we booked a double room through the website but when we arrived at the hotel we were told by the receptionist that on her file we had only booked a twin. We were not happy at all about this as we had specifically booked a double, but luckily there were other rooms free so the lady said we were able to change this although I was annoyed when the she said we must pay a fee (£20, admittedly not a huge charge but considering it wasn't our mistake in the first place, I was not at all happy about paying this) which we did and then we got the room we wanted. There was also another issue that did not come to light until after we had returned home. The receptionist said that as hotel policy they must take a swipe of a debit/credit card and take a £50 deposit which would be refunded after your stay providing the room was left how it was when we first got there. We used my partners debit card for this and we left the room in perfect condition, just as we found it (as we naturally would) but upon our return and after waiting a week or so, the £50 had been taken, but we still didn't get the £50 refunded! When we contacted the hotel, this was then actioned with apology and we did receive the money back shortly after complaining. Overall the hotel was pretty much perfect for what we needed and the rooms and general feel of the hotel was to a high standard, very modern, nice and comfortable. Apart from the problems that we had, our hotel stay was enjoyable and we did get a good last minute rate. I think I would return in the future as it was in a quieter area but being only two minutes walk to the tube station, we were within easy reach of everything that we needed and that really made everything so much easier and very enjoyable. All in all, I had a brilliant birthday and if it wasn't for the few minor problems we had, it would have been perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FuTuReSaiLoR01
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your very kind review.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us & it is very rewarding for my team to see that all of our efforts are noticed & appreciated.

My sincere wish is that all guests staying with us enjoy their stay & return to us in the near future.

I was a little disappointed to note that there were a couple of issues regarding the room you had booked & that your money was held for longer than it should have been.

I would like to explain that we don't actaully charge the £50 but we do authorise this amount which holds the money without charging.

It does take a few days to release the hold but the money remains in your account at all times.

I do hope that you will return to us very soon & I hope to have the pleasure of meeting you myself.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Just finished up our stay in London at the Quality Maitrise. I was a little worried after listening to reviews and emailing the hotel for directions - to which I never received a response. However once we found the hotel it was a pleasent stay, would have been just 'ok' with out the wonderful doorman James. He knows his stuff and is happy to help, so take him up on his offer! Made our stay. A few helpful tips: you have to insert your room key to turn on several lights and most important the AC. Rooms can get hot but cool very quickly once u know what ur doing. Also, CAREFUL when using the shower or sink as the hot water is not hot but rather scolding! I'm serious turn it to cold then go up, or pay the price. Take the Kilburn park tube exit and come out of the station turn left, go to Kilburn High Road and turn right. It's right there. Nice rooms, good stay, James is the man! -TJ

• Stayed April 2012
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review following your stay with us.

I was delighted to see that you enjoyed your stay & I am pleased to read such nice comments about James. That was very kind of you.

I have noted your concerns about the hot water & we will look at this we believe that everything should be perfect & it is clear that we have an issue.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us in the near future & I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Malta
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have stayed together with my daughter for a short city break last weekend. Nice rooms, clean and very helpful receptionists. Very central and safe area. Enjoyed it very much. Thanks!!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am very grateful to you for taking the time to provide this feedback from your stay at the hotel.

Naturally I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us & it is delighful for the team to receive such positive comments.

It is always a pleasure for us to know that our guests have returned home having enjoyed their visit to the hotel & I sincerely hope that you will return to us in the near future.

Paul Kennedy
mobile
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Oh dear , where do I begin, prior to booking my trip I read the reviews and thought I would give the hotel the benefit of the doubt, big big mistake, I can only say the managers diatribe of pathetic lame excuses leaves a lot to be desired.

Yet time after time guest make the same comments about rooms being too small, windows nailed shut and rooms to hot. Staff unfriendly and unwelcoming, but yet the manager further insults guests by stating he personally hand picks staff that are fully informed and speaks English and personally inspects the rooms. I Wonder where Mr Kennedy was during my stay? as having complained he was no where to be seen or heard. I was just fobbed of by a poorly speaking member of staff who huffed at me when I complained my room had not been properly serviced.
The bathroom was scuzzy due to hairs accumalated in the plughole. Faeces left in around a stained toilet bowl. (yuk) but under the bed was a used condom????
I'm sorry but enough was enough and felt sick. I checked out and went to stay at Crown Moran Hotel, what a big difference in standards.
I would say you pays your money and takes your chances (John Cleese and faulty towers springs to mind of this venue.
Would I recommend it to a friend, definitely not, I think this is matter for Trading Standards.
Has any guests ever had their money refunded from this hotel.

Room Tip: When things go wrong expect platatudes, there are better hotels around that offer better customer se...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank stephen b
Paul K, General Manager at Best Western Maitrise Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for providing this review.

Naturally i am very disappointed with the content of your comments & I would be grateful if you could please contact me directly so that this matter can be investigated.

All guest feedback is taken very seriously & I would like to ask that you contact me directly at the hotel so that this complaint can be investigated through the correct channels as this is a serious matter.

I look forward to hearing from you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed one night in this hotel and it was great!
This hotel is a little bit away from the most central parts of London but the beautiful areas Maida Vale and Warwick Avenue are down the road and it is only a bit of a walk away from Hyde Park and Oxford Street.
For a lower price then the central hotels it offers very modern and comfortable rooms and a very nice restaurant and bar.
Well worth looking at if coming to London on business or leisure!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Annika K
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a report of your recent stay with us here.

I was delighted to read your positive thoughts from your time with us & the team is thrilled that you enjoyed your stay.

I appreciate you taking the time to write this review & I hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us very soon.