New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Book a Tour
Ranked #95 of 650 Tours in London
Type: City Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Context London organizes small-group walking tours of London led by scholars and experts in a variety of topics. Walks happen daily or can be arranged on request and cover such topics as art history, architectural history, cuisine, and the major sites of this city.
Paris, France
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Very very interesting tour. Great guide.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

Visiting a museum can be very "dusty". The eye is the main sense working. It looks quite bi-dimensional: you and the object are facing each other. Well, that was before Context Travel.
We had a truly vivid museum experience with Caroline. She didn't just had a deep historical knowledge she made us travel in the context of the British Museum. Not only did she show us specific objects, she integrated them in the history of the time.
Caroline made our visit to the BM a vivid experience, senses in alert: listening, looking, even touching the reproduction of the Rosetta Stone as it's story was unfold to our ears.
Thank you SO much.

4 Thank Alain O
paul_bennett_123, Owner at Context London Tours, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear Alain,

Thank you for the comments, and for taking a chance on our walking seminar of the British Museum. Sounds like our approach was well-suited to your needs. We look forward to seeing you again in London, or wherever your journeys take you.

Irvine, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing tours and guides, the best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Book as many context tours as possible. Informative the guides are so knowledgeable and friendly that the tours will be one of your trip highlights

1 Thank James B
Alameda, CA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Context London tour Borough Market: go early”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

This was my 4th Context Tour but first in London (others were Rome, Pompeii. and Paris). Arrived early for my 10am tour and was glad I did, the market opens at 8am but by 11:30am it is choc-a-block heaving with people. Our Context docent was great as they usually are, taking us to the best cheese shop in the market and pointing interesting history and also some of the best / unique shops. We sampled many cheeses, dried meats, and other foods. Overall I enjoyed the tour, Context specializes in small groups, there were only five of us plus the docent. I enjoyed the Borough Market but be advised on a Saturday it is best to go early.

1 Thank Mauka
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“British Museum Walking Tour -- A Unique Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

My family & I took a tour of the British Museum in January 2012 through Context Tours. The four of us, including two young kids, had a really wonderful time. What truly made the tour was our guide: 3rd-generation museum man, Lawrence Owens. First off, he's a real archaeologist! The closest thing you'll get to Indiana Jones! Because of our daughter's interests, he tailored the visit to lead up to & focus on the Egyptian mummies. Lawrence's walking presentation was entertaining, educational, and loaded with enthusiasm. He didn't just point out bits and pieces of bone and pottery, he related stories of how these objects fit in, both to individuals and in the bigger picture. Plus, he fielded our daughter's barrage of questions with patience & ease. I highly recommend this tour!

Visited January 2012
4 Thank Andrew G
paul_bennett_123, Owner at Context London Tours, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear Andrew,

Great to hear you enjoyed your visit to the British Museum with Lawrence. The closest thing to Indiana Jones. We love that!

San Francisco
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Step 1: book plane ticket; Step 2: book Context tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I've taken architecture tours with Context in Paris and Barcelona but the winter months demanded something indoors for my December London trip. Took the Tate Modern tour with Eowyn and was absolutely delighted with the experience. She was so knowledgeable and enthusiastic and I felt like I learned so much that I will take with me to other museums. I would highly recommend Context in any of their cities but especially any of the tours Eowyn leads in London. I hope I can return for another of her tours soon. One word of caution: the enthusiasm of the docents often leads to longer than advertised tours (added value if you ask me), so if you are trying to fit this in among other timed activities save some extra time in your schedule.

Visited December 2011
4 Thank Workerbee3
paul_bennett_123, Owner at Context London Tours, responded to this review, 12 January 2012
Workerbee3,

Thanks for the feedback. Eowyn is a treasure. Not only does she lead excellent walks, but she also does a lot of internal training with other docents on art conservation, her specialty.

Sorry about our time issues ;) We just love what we do, and often get carried away!