“Hidden Jewel in London”
Review of Town Hall Hotel

Town Hall Hotel
Ranked #220 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 May 2012

The Town Hall is undoubtedly one of the most charming hotels in the world. It Isn't in Piccadilly but his great design and extra benefits - minikitchen, free water and milk, welcome cocktail, swimming pool open till midnight... - justify a little walk (subway is just around the corner). Our room with three windows was fantastic. Great cuisine by Nuno Mendez in the restaurant Viajante - one star Michelin - and perfect cocktails at the bar. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you think the Town Hall Hotel is one of the most charming hotels in the world. Thank you for mentioning all the hotel has to offer included in its basic rate and although its location is not so central, it is worth to pay a visit and the centre of town is within an easy ride away with the tube. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the visit at the Viajante Restaurant with the extraordinary cuisine from our patron chef Nuno. Thank you for choosing the THH for your stay in London and should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed 3 May 2012

Upon arrival we were greeted by the staff and very helpful concierge of the hotel. Our room was not ready yet - we arrived somewhat early - and were offered something to drink in the meantime.
The staff had a very cheerful attitude and made you feel right at home. We were offered cocktail cards and breakfast for the first morning as well.
The hotel itself is located near the tube station of Bethnal Green - so easy access to the centre of town. The building has been renovated in a trendy style yet one has kept the old atmosphere and some old features intact. Loved the vault in the little entrance hall.
We were shown to our 2 bedroom apartment - very very nice. We stayed 3 nights and on our first night the room across ours was holding a bachelor party of some sort and was somewhat noisy. this was dealt with with the staff in a very professional way. We slept like a baby.
We went tot he bar for a cocktail one evening, there the staff was also very friendly. What a nice atmosphere...
Go there for your trip in London!

Dear Client
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. It pleases me to read that you were warmly welcomed by the concierge team upon arrival and that you found all our staff very friendly and always ready to offer their assistance. It is nice to know that you notice the mixtures of different styles with old and new trends allowing the history of this building to come alive, as well as the sophisticated and modern design fused together. I am glad to know that you liked the apartment were you stayed-in and that the noisy problem was resolved immediately. It is great to also know that you find it easy to commute to the central part of London with the tube nearby the hotel. Thank you for choosing us for you visit in London and I can confirm that your comment has already been shared with all the staff here. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 1 May 2012

I totally agree with the great reviews below, I loved every second in this hotel!

2 extra comments which may be of added value:
- the nightly rate of the hotel is easily 200+ gbp, but our offer included a free room upgrade, a welcome cocktail, free and good wifi, espresso facilities and milk in the room, breakfast, a morning newspaper, chocolate truffles, use of the gym and swimming pool, free use of customer laptop and printer, shower products from the Rituals brand. In case you appreciate these features, realize that it makes you feel like a king in this beatiful "castle" and that you would pay a great amount for all of this in case you would have to pay for this in hotels where it is not included. So despite the relative high rate, it's worth every penny.

- some visitors below said the area is not the best, but I think this is only based on the street from the underground to the hotel which is safe but indeed not very nice. But the toy museum on the way to the hotel is a beautiful building, free entrance and with cafe facilities. There is also a little park and a canal with lovely houses.

See you soon at Town Hotel and thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter_likestotravel
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I enjoyed reading your encouraging feedback and I cannot agree more with it. It is nice to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you were pleased with all the extras that come included in our rates. Thank you for mentioning that you were offered a complimentary upgrade and for commenting on the area surrounding the hotel, which I agree, it is very different but with lot of vitality and creativity. I am pleased to know that you did explore the area around the hotel with Victoria Park being the oldest of London public parks, the canal and the childhood museum next door. Thank you for choosing the THH for your stay in London as we look forward to welcome you back soon. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Can't speak highly enough about my Town Hall experience:
ARRIVAL: Had a vile arrival time of 5am into London and at hotel by 6:30am. Despite am official check in time of 2pm, we were ushered straight to our booked apartment. Even better, we had been upgraded from standard to executive at no cost. Utterly unheard of in hotel-land!
APARTMENT: Fab! Two level 2-bed with 2 ensuite bathrooms and cathedral ceilings. Open plan kitchen/lounge. Super unique vintage furniture that was cool AND comfy to use. Central heat/AC. Very modern bathrooms, both with bath and rainfall shower. Full kitchen with espresso machine and washer/dryer in lieu of laundry. Queen beds with quality linen and pillows
FACILITIES: Great heated pool and good size gym. 'The Corner' informal restaurant/breakfast nook is small and intimate. Breakfast is great value, fresh and nicely varied at GBP15, with fancy hot options available at GBP4 per dish. Michelin starred restaurant was a bit out of our budget, but dinner at The Corner was also enjoyable.
LOCAL AREA: Grungy, but felt safe. Bethnal Greem tube a mere 3 minute walk and about 15min travel time from city centre.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Global2010
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I am glad to hear that you appreciated our gesture of goodwill, following to your early arrival at the THH. It is nice to know that you liked our all inclusive apartment and the facilities offered to our guest in the hotel. I am pleased to read that you like the atmosphere at the Corner Room and that you like the breakfast options on the menu. It is great to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your fantastic score and for choosing the THH for your stay in London. I can confirm that your comment has already been shared with all the staff here and should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 27 April 2012

This is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. We were 4 people so we booked one of the 2 rooms apartments. It was simply AWESOME, each room had its own kitchen, mini fridge, stove, oven, laundry machine, dish washing machine... each room was like a whole apartment! The bigger room had also a very nice and large bathtub in the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. They provide free normal and decaf coffee, tea, still and sparkling water and milk, everything is substituted each day, if you use it.
Free wifi with very nice signal and OK speed. There's even an umbrella in the room which you can use if the weather is bad, and they provide more, if you need it.
The only downside, like many reviews said is just the location. The neighborhood is not the nicest one, but I felt it was very safe. It just isn't beautiful and full of stuff to do, but you have nice markets around, restaurants, and the subway is just around the corner. With 5-6 stops with the subway you're able to arrive at the main interesting points in the center.
Oh, the other downside (but that's a problem with almost ALL London hotels, it seems) is the breakfast. VERY expensive (15 pounds) for a very simple buffet. You have to pay an extra 5 pounds for hot dishes. A cheaper and more complete breakfast would be perfect.
I HIGHLY recommend this hotel, it should be even higher on the trip advisor rankings, because the cost/benefit ratio is perfect!

Room Tip: Our rooms were LG 13 and 15 and were GREAT! Very close to the pool too.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and totally flattered by your complements that the THH is one of the best hotel you ever visited. It is nice to know that you appreciate what the hotel has to offer and thank you so much for detailing it in the way you did by mentioning all the appliances we have in the apartments. The area, indeed, it is not the classic touristic place where you would probably expects a hotel like ours to be, but I can assure you that the proximity of the hotel burst with vitality and creativity, with new and traditional places to eat out, trendy bars and clubs, art galleries and museums. I am sorry to hear that you were not really satisfied with the breakfast and I have already shared you comments with our F & B manager to look into your concerns. Thank you for choosing the Town Hall Hotel for your stay in London and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 24 April 2012

Just arrived back from spending three nights at the hotel from 21st April- 24th April over the London Marathon. I was traveling with my mum daughter and her boyfriend and after searching high and low for reasonable accommodation with a bit of luxury decided on Town Hall Apartments

Bad Start - sadly even though I specifically booked a two bedroom apartment when we arrived it had been double booked. I was a bit cross as the hotel initially tried to change my booking to a one bedroom apartment and a double room, however this is not what I wanted and their was no way I was sharing a double bed with my mum, they then gave me another room so in total on the first night we had three rooms two of which were one bedroom apartments and one was a double bedroom, G5 G7 and G6. Out of these rooms I would say that G7 was the nicest with a bathroom to die for. They also refunded half the price of my original booking as compensation.
As the marathon was the night after I told them that they would have to move our luggage and food etc to the two bedroom apartment . On the first night we cooked in G6 as this had the best kitchen. Milk and house bottled water, tea, coffee, dishwasher pills and kitchen roll is all provided for free, however the kitchens are new and as one of our party was running the marathon I wanted to bake a special runners lasagna for him. Sadly the hotel had an amazing oven but no oven dishes !! they looked at me quite blankly when I asked for one, however the staff are very friendly and do try to help they did find me a huge roll of tin foil and I did manage to cobble something together using the grill pan.
The pool and gym facilities are lovely and its just such a nice touch to have a swim after a hard day volunteering at the marathon or sightseeing.
On our return from the marathon everything had been moved into the two bedroom apartment as requested this was LG2 a twin and double bed apartment. Furnishings and facilities again really very good and great value. Ipod docking station in every bedroom is very handy and also for once a very good hotel hairdryer, everywhere I go I always take my own as hotel hairdryers are usually terrible but the one provided here was great. Free Wi-Fi was appreciated as my husband could not travel with us so it was great to keep in touch for free.

Ok here are some more good points for me with the rooms as we had tried 4 by the end of the stay

The room temperature was great not stuffy and hot like most london hotels
The rooms were large with stylish furniture and some of the best bathrooms i have ever used, G7 had two sinks in the bathroom it was so big and a fab bath
The bed was super comfy with crisp white sheets with two big pillows on each bed
slippers and robes are provided
The apartment kitchen are tasteful but if you are going to cook in them check that the hotel has everything you need before you arrive ( also a sainsburys and tesco are close buy for food)
The free toiletries provided by the hotel were not only really good but replenished fresh every day and the chocolate turn down service was a lovely treat although as noted by other guests they sometimes did come a little to early.

Watch out for the following
We had room service one night when I ordered some of their rustic bread to go with a bean and sausage casserole I made, they brought me 12 slices of bread and charge me £9.00 ( I later found out that the hotel purchases the bread from a local bakery called E2)

Free cocktails are given as a treat make sure you hand the vouchers in and don't just order any off the menu as it only qualifies you for the house punch or a glass of wine or beer ( how is wine or beer a cocktail?)

breakfast in the corner room is great lovely breakfast room again beautifully stylish with a retro feel. For an extra £4 on top of the £15 standard breakfast charge you can order something hot, on the last day we did I ordered hash browns, bacon and mushrooms. It was dreadful the bacon was so salty it made me feel sick, the mushrooms looked like slime on my plate and the hash browns were presented as tiny squares of slightly spiced potatoes covered in sugar. One of my party had bacon and eggs with hash brown and hated it and another in our party had the vanilla porridge all of it was dreadful. However the continental breakfast was great and worth the money. The staff were attentive and pleasant. If you are just having the continental I highly recommend the breakfast but beware of the hot food.

The art work
Have a wonder round the hotel and look at the art work it really is amazing two of my party are doing an art degree and loved the vibe of the place and found it inspirational. A brilliant chap on reception called Tunda ( sorry if I spelt your name wrong) offered to give us a tour of the building and art work without any promoting he was lovely and really went out of his way. i will say this about the Town Hall they do try to make each guest feel special and welcome and I found the staff in general to be extremely pleasant and polite.
The area
I have never stayed in East London before but I found it a very Bohemian and friendly area on the Saturday we walked down by the cannel and up to the broadway market, we were greeted with a vast area of small shops, cafes and market stalls selling everything fro t-shirts to pans and also the widest variety of delicious take away foods I have ever seen we settled on a stall selling spicy butternut squash and pasta salad with some crusty french bread this was perfect. The people were friendly and lovely with a real carnival atmosphere to the place. The market is every Saturday and I highly recommend it
On the last night I booked a meal at the trendy bistrotech restaurant . It was a 5 minute walk from the hotel and based in a disused factory, the food was gorgeous and reasonable priced for four of us with wine at £104 I highly recommend it . It was a very cool place which I hear celebrities use apparently its one of Keira Knightly fav spots although she was not their on our night out.
The nearby childhood museum is worth a visit as well just two mins from the hotel and it was actually really fascinating.
Other things we did
I often work in London so I have seen and done a lot already but I have never had afternoon tea at the ritz which is what we did on Monday it was lovely and really special a bit pricy at £42 per head but worth every penny just remember to pre book as its always sold out a coupe of months in advance
Tate modern- We also visited the Tate modern and the Damien Hurst exhibition which is really worth a look and very interesting my favorite bit was the butterflies although my daughter and her boyfriend loved the mother and calf sliced in half and found it fascinating.

Finally Bethnal Green tube station is just a stones throw from the town Hall and easy to get around on it only took 20 mins to get from Euston to Bethnal Green however it could take longer in the rush hour. All in all a great stay and I will defiantly come back to the London apartments.

Room Tip: G7 had the best bathroom, G6 had a lovely kitchen, LG2 was a great twin bed apartment but was in the...
5  Thank JanetteD

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. I appreciate your dedication in giving such detailed feedback, which I enjoyed reading. I was sorry to read that we did not have the apartment ready with the specification requested at the time of your arrival, and how frustrating this most have been for you and your family. I am pleased to hear though that we were able to turn this negative starting point to a very positive one as you mentioned on your feedback. I regret to read the comments on the breakfast at the Corner Room, which I have already shared with the relevant department and asked their HOD to investigate on it. There were many other negative points, as well as very positive ones, which I am honestly glad that you brought them to my attention. It is great know that, although your stay has been marred by few negative points, you and your family genuinely loved the hotel, the apartments style and the service our staff provided by being attentive and always going that extra mile. Please accept my sincere apologies for missing the opportunity to create a 100% positive experience for you and your family in this occasion and I hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. In the meantime, should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole

Reviewed 22 April 2012

This is an excellent hotel in a good location and is good value 5 star. I booked directly with the hotel and chose a double bed room, so not an apartment like many reviewers. I was very pleased. I liked the way they have kept so much of the ‘old decorations’ (wood panelling etc.). The room was reasonable size with plenty of storage space and comfortable chairs. Especially thoughtful was the long lead on the hairdryer! All staff were excellent. Corner room breakfast great. Have written a separate review of Viajante.

Irritating things- In room 115, once the shower had been used the water flowed in front of the wash basin & stayed there(even after we returned from breakfast) as the slope was not sufficient. No double glazing meant outside noise intruded (shouting groups at 3am). At check in having to use a ‘clip board’ as there is no flat desk space.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SilverTraveller
OpsMng, Director of Operations at Town Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind feedback on your visit to the Town Hall Hotel & Apartments. Although your overall stay was a quite positive experience and you were very satisfied with the size of our double room, the Corner Room breakfast and the hotel restoration being excellent, some other areas left you a little disappointed. It is indeed regretful that we did not anticipate this technical problem earlier, which resulted in not receiving a 100% score. I hope this incident will not deter you from visiting us again in the future. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused in this occasion. Should you required any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to assist you directly. Many thanks and kind regards, Sandro Desole