“Business trip to London” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #302 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Jersey, United Kingdom
“Business trip to London”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I travel to London at least two times per month for two or three nights.

Hotel Rafayel is south of Central London with a riverside location near to Chelsea. I decided to try this hotel as the rates are very reasonable.

The hotel is excellent, the rooms have a 5-star feel and the staff are very friendly and professional.

Not being in Central London wasn't a problem, the hotel offers a shuttle into town and a taxi is around £12-15.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Went to hotel Rafayel for a girlie spa day followed by afternoon tea. The girls in the spa were lovely, had an amazing massage, very relaxing. Our afternoon tea was in the restaurant right beside the river. The atmosphere was so relaxing, our afternoon tea didn't finish til last tube home!! The staff in the restaurant were very attentive, as soon as our glass was empty they were on hand to fill it up, they even sent us some lovely 'snack' food later in the evening, which we didn't order, which was a lovely touch.
The hotel has a very personnel feel to it, not a big chain hotel where you are just another person. Will defintely return and recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Halesowen, West Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Me and my Fiance have just returned from a one night stay in London. We booked this hotel through Lastminute.com at a great rate. The location details on the email confirmation gave "Vauxhall Station" as the nearest one. When we came out of the Tube, we realised this was 2.7 miles away. Not good to walk to in the rain and cost us just under £10 in a Black Cab. The nearest Tube is actually Clapham Common but this is still NOT in walking distance (especially with luggage). The hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service to guests every half hour from 730am - 730pm. This needs to be pre-booked at reception and you will be given the Hotels number to call them half hour before you return to the station so that the driver can be there to take you back to the hotel. A handy service to have as taxis would have been costly.

The hotel was very trendy, a bit cluttered in the reception area. Lots of chairs and little nooks and crannies but the reception staff were efficient and helpful. On arrival (just before noon) we were told our room was not ready but they would check us in and put the bag in our room for when we returned. We didnt expect to be able to check-in before 3pm anyway. We went for a drink in the bar and within half an hour all was completed. Our room was a superior room on the 3rd floor. When the lift door opened I was a little surprised to see that our rooms would be near to the spa treatment area of the hotel. Still it was quiet and pleasant. I had informed them in advance that it was my Fiance's birthday and there was a birthday card and small box of chocolates in the room. A nice touch! The room was quite big, plenty of wardrobe and storage space if you were there for a few days, lovely big walk in shower (a little complicated to operate but very good when fathomed out), and a queen sized bed with soft pillows and duvet. Probably the best and most comfortable hotel bed I have slept in. We had a partial view of the Thames and could watch the helicopters land. (Note that this hotel is adjacent to the London Heli-pad in Battersea so expect a bit of noise early morning). The rooms airconditioning is touch operated, as is the do not disturb sign which was novel. The aircon is a little noisy and sensitive to operate as is the TV but it probably was fine if you took time to figure it out. If you wake in the night and go to the bathroom, built in sensors in the room light up around cupboard edges and mirrors so you can find you way without stubbing a toe or waking your partner. They switch off themselves after a while.

The bar is a separate building to the main hotel. The Banyard restaurant is highly rated although we didnt eat here. breakfast wasn't included in the room rate and a full english will set you back £14.95 per head. Not scandalous for London prices but we preferred to get out and eat elsewhere. The mini bar and bar prices were standard hotel prices too. We had taken a bottle of champagne along with us and was pleased to see both champagne flutes and wine glasses in the room already so no need to ask.

The staff were all friendly and helpful, the Manager welcomed us both in the bar and also when he passed us in reception. Gym facilities are free to guests (but we didn't use them). 50% discounts to guests on meals in the Banyard (not including breakfast). Elemis Spa Treatments available at an extra cost.

All in all a very good stay. Not for people who literally want to walk out of the door and into an attraction and remember "the Tube isnt that close" but it just needs you need to plan a little more if you are on a deadline.

Well done Rafayel! :-)

Room Tip: Third floor is the highest the hotel goes. Contact them in advance with requirements and special oc...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bad_Cat29
Cannock, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

I have now stopped at this hotel about 4 times and every time I go I come away happy and I just cannot fault the service, the team and the owner provide.

This hotel is exceptional, I stop at this hotel when i am working in London, I would rather drive into London which takes 40 mins to where I have to go than stop in a hotel nearer to work, the simple reason for this is, I feel so comfortable, secure stopping at this hotel as a single woman on her own due to the fact that the staff are so friendly, helpful and look after you like family they even know my name when I return. The owner is also at the hotel every night and he makes an efforet with all his customers.

I cannot fault this amazing hotel I have never stopped in a hotel better than the rafayel, I will continue to use this hotel not just for when I am working in london but also if I go to London on a break then I would most certainly stop their and takes my friends and family as I know you get 5 star treatment as well as the food is outstanding too, plus you have the spa the gym and it's on the thames.

I recommend all my work coleagues and friend's and family to stop at the Rafayel.

Thank you to all of the team at the Rafayel, I always love and enjoy my stay.

See you all soon.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Sara W
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

Me and the mrs stayed here for two nights begin of April. Very impressed! The room we had, amazon room rm 220 was huge! U would have to pay three times as much for one of similar size in central London. Some of rooms have rover view which I can only imagine we're fantastic cause u are right on the river. Didn't eat in the restaurant but looked lovely. Location might put u off but to be honest once you've taken the free shuttle to clapham only takes another 10 mins to get into centre. The service was brilliant, they offered us the shuttle service even though we had missed the cut off on our last night. They also seem very proud of their hotel which is quite refreshing and makes it more personal. Sometimes in other hotels u feel like you're just another guest but not here. Only critisism if management read this was that there was no mirror on the table for my wife to do her makeup! Apparently this is very important!

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Jt1983
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I have been staying at the Rafayel on business 2 or 3 nights per week for the last few months. It's an excellent hotel for business. The standard of the rooms, level of service, quality of facilities, flexibility of staff is second to none - I've now agreed a corporate rate and ensure that all staff stay at the Rafayel when they're on business in London.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank BarryMatthewsSource
Gent, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Stayed here one night just 2 days ago. Very nice and quiet rooms. Pleasant front-desk welcome and free upgrade to larger room. Best hotel I have stayed in for £109. Three small thing stat disturbed me: I didn't succeed in switching the airco off completely and woke up from fan noise (although very discreet but I have a light sleep), the restaurant was OK but the quality wasn't as good as I expected....as it was highly praised by staff in hotel, and the owner was introduced to me by a waiter. The owner, although very pleasant, was a bit too pushy asking me if all was OK and if I would please leave a good review here on Tripadvisor. Could have done without that! :-)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank rosner
Rafayel, Manager at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thanks for your kind review; I apologize if you felt I was pushy. We do request for review as without that it is too difficult to survive as we have no 'ad' budget, perhaps I would be careful. Thanks a lot for your advice.