“Three night stay for our son's wedding”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #316 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Auckland, New Zealand
“Three night stay for our son's wedding”
Reviewed 2 April 2012

Reception was polite, respectful helpful and friendly. A perfect combination.
Our experience was a great surprise, this hotel is highly recommended to anyone. Very professionally managed, a credit to the owner.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Chris W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Me my girlfriend and parents stayed here for 1 night before our flight to las Vegas.
The hotel is excellent, the staff were very friendly and we couldn't ask for more. We just wished we could of spent more time at the hotel but as we had a show booked and was leaving early the next morning we didn't spend a lot of time here.
However we did use the steam sauna and jacuzzi which all were really nice.
The hotel is right on the river aswell which Is an excellent location.
People who moan about the location are being very petty, the hotel even puts on a free car to take you to tube or train station which we used.
We will be returning to the hotel rafayel and hope to spend more time at the hotel and use more of what this excellent hotel has to offer.
Thank you rafayel for making the start to our holiday a memorable one
Glen

Room Tip: Try for a room with river facing
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This is definitely in my list of top hotels in England. It was exceptionally good value for money and the rooms unlike many hotels are huge and beautifully decorated. The rooms are tasteful and luxurious, not a boutique hotel done on the cheap! Staff are all really friendly and make you feel very special.
The only disappointment was the restaurant which has stunning views but the food was very bland. Worth having a morning coffee or afternoon glass of wine though as looking out over the Thames is lovely.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I came to London on Wednesday 28th for the Ideal Home Show, I have been visiting London multiple times per month and decided this time I would stay over. I only wanted some where to put my head for the night, safe and warm, my price limit was £100, I was looking at hotels in Kensington & Covernt Garden, then i found this hotel. I had read the other reviews about its location and a tube stop not directly outside the hotel, however it looked the nicest and I went for it.

Now I made life a little harder for myself, you can go from Clapham Junction by bus, however I wanted to go from the hotel directly into London. I caught the 170 from stand R at Victoria Coach Station and it would take me directly to the hotel. (If you can afford the time, take the bus, it was actually lovely, going through Chelsea, along the Thames it was like a sight seeing bus). The stop is actually outside the hotel, not down the road, not around the corner, outside! The distance is NOT an issue, do NOT listen to the other reviews. Please also note the hotel have a shuttle service, (which I didnt use because I wanted to be in control).

I went into the hotel & the first thing that hits you, WOW! It is so incredibly amazing, very modern, very beautiful! There is an art gallery incorporated into the reception which is what gives it its WOW factor. Not one, not two but THREE members of staff on reception, so no waiting. Check in was easy (this was my first time staying in a hotel alone and was a little nervous). You get your key card and its touch (like the oyster card) not like those annoying swipe ones. You have to keep the card in its slot. The lights come on in the long hall way, which has a mirror and table, opposite it is a cupboard with the mini bar and tea and coffee. Then at the end of the corridor the room opens out, there is a desk with reading material, i'm not going to lie, there was a lot of holes to plug things in and remotes for sound systems, but I had no idea what they were for. The lovely flat screen tv was on a pole from the ceiling at the end of the bed, near the wall. This was what blew my mind! You can control the AC and the speed of the fans & the lights all from the tv! Incredible! So as you lay in bed you can have the tv on and then to the left, the massive windows which over looks the Thames. The drive goes under the building and you can watch the luxury cars drive in, but you CAN NOT hear them the room is so quite. There is a wardrobe with two extra pillows, slippers, those folding tables for your luggage, plenty of hangers and a hair dryer.

I had to check out the following morning and I do love aircraft, I have never walked so fast to the roof terrace to watch helicopters land next door at the Battersea helipad, you can not hear them, unless you know the whizzing sound, like I said the hotel is so quite!

The room was incredibly modern and posh, luxury linens, the most gorgeous thick carpet, beautiful marble, stunning furniture and an incredible bathroom stunning fixtures and fittings all finished to a high level. Now the shower! READ the instructions before you get in, there is the hand over head shower, the over head shower the jets, read the instructions first DONT do what I do and just hope youll work it out, but amazing pressure and wonderful shower.

So here is the problem: I wanted to stay longer, however due to work I had to leave, I am already working out dates for my next visit and shall be staying longer. This is the most incredible hotel i've stayed in. Why would you pay £100 to stay in a Travelodge in Covernt Garden when you can stay here for the same price and is just a quick hop on a bus away from the night life.

I dont usually do these review things, however this hotel deserves it, it is truly spectacular and truly incredible in a lovely neighborhood, with a great transport link and amazing staff.

I am sorry I cant comment on the spa or the bars or restaurants, I just didnt have time, I went wanting to see London, left wanting to see the rest of the hotel.

This hotel left me wanting more of it, see you very soon and thank you!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Lovely looking rooms, nice location BUT wasnt given milk for tea(ran out and wouldnt replace), no phone signal due to heliport next door, noisey doors(thin walls) and most of all....apart from 2female members of staff, the staff in general are odd(awkward, unfriendly) no way is this 5star!!
They all seem 2 take offence to any provlem you have, because i could not locate my debit card the manager stormed up the his colleague and had them remove the contence of the fridge including the tea and milk, lots of islamic/arabic sounding chit chat from the staff, i cannot stress how ODD and unpleasant the staff are

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Guardiola04
Pawel W, Manager at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
Dear Guest

Firstly, we take this opportunity to thank you for staying with us at ‘Rafayel on the Left Bank’.

With regard to your comments, Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We always consider the feedback from our customers as a vital part of our business. While we appreciate your positive comments, we wish to address a few points in your review to which we totally disagree.

All our rooms has the best levels of insulation between walls and corridors. Each wall consists of two insulated fire protected boards. This means having 4 of these thick boards between rooms. In the early part of the hotel construction ION Acoustics carried out all tests to prove that stringent building regulations were met. The doors are designed as fire doors with grey insulation all round with further insulation between the frame and the door to prevent any smoke entering the room in case of a fire.
These obviously also serves as a deterrent against noise entering or escaping the rooms. These are designed to the highest standards and we are prepared to forward you the reports.

Please note that we do not have any Arabic speaking staff on the Front Desk and it is glaringly insensitive and highly inappropriate of you to refer to them as Arabic/Islamic. It does not reflect on the product or our services. Race, Religion or colour does not affect our recruitment process, and your comment has attacked our belief in equality. We take pride in our multi cultural staff and are proud of our training programmes which has given them a sense of security and pride. The two who could/may have spoken in a language which may have sounded Arabic to you are from South Asian origin and are post graduates holding Masters Degrees. In fact as I write this response, my colleagues are out collecting an award from the Princess Trust for our contribution to training. All our Front Desk staff are Graduates.

We contacted you via email to obtain the day and time your alleged claim occurred to carry out an investigation, but unfortunately, you have not responded. We have almost 500 reviews but no one has made such a remark, ever.

When a guest cannot produce a Credit or debit card as a guarantee for extras at the point of check-in, it is normal for the reception staff to contact a Duty Manager. Had we managed to get a debit or credit card from you the mini bar would not have been emptied. We have had a few occasions where the mini bars were emptied by guests without having credit facilities. Milk sachets are always available in rooms. You say that milk sachets were not replaced when they ran out. How could this happen when you claim that your mini bar was emptied, including the milk sachets.

We are not argumentative but have the right to be honest in our responses to reviews of this nature. When you raise issues we respond.

Sir/Madam, We are a fledging business in a highly competitive environment, offering a product of high standard with equally matching services at competitive rates. We thank you once again for staying with us.

Best Regards
Chris de Saram
Operations Manager
New York
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This is our third visit to the Hotel Rafayel. I can't say enough good things about this property. From the moment of check in until we were checking out, the staff could not do enough to make our stay wonderful.
From her office ,Krystyna, Operations Director, saw us checking in. She recognized us and immediately came to greet us with a warm smile . It is that personal touch that contributes to making this hotel one that you want to return to time after time. Our room was large, well appointed and with a fabulous view of the river. Maintainence of the room was perfect and up to the original high standard. Certainly no evidence of wear or tear on carpets, upholstery and furnishings as is sometimes the case. Although the hotel is very modern and eco-friendly it also exudes warmth. That of course is due to the ever-helpful staff. There are car parking facilities at a very reasonable rate. Strongly suggest you have a drink on the terrace. The drinks are terrific and the view is outstanding. Considering the price point, it is hard to believe you are surrounded by such luxury. We are always sad that we do not have time to experience the on-site spa since I'm sure it is in keeping with the all over standard of the hotel. Yes, the hotel is in Battersea, but the bus stops right in front of the hotel and it is a pleasant, short ride into either Sloane Square or a little farther on to Victoria. Ike, the owner, can oftentimes be seen in the lobby. He is always eager to hear comments from his guests. His presence, along with his excellent management team, make us feel that standards at the Rafayel will always remain "5 star".

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Chesterfield
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Stayed for one night on Saturday 24th March. Fantastic hotel would recommend to any one. I went with a large party that included children. No one was made to feel out of place. We had the pleasure of meeting the owner and telling him personally our thoughts. The only problem that we found was the taxi services. Make sure you get the price before you except the ride.

• Stayed March 2012