“This will be a landmark hotel!”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #188 of 1,076 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 16 April 2010

Booked this particular hotel for a Birthday treat with friends. Stunning new lobby and great lighting features!

Our room had a little issue with the lighting (it basically kept tripping and taking out the air con and TV). We were given a suite to make up for the incovenience, even though we didn't really complain, just asked for a swap to a working room!

Whether the suite overlooking Big Ben and Westminister Bridge or the regular rooms you will not be disappointed by the quality or the comfort here.

There's an emphasis on enviromental issues and this is commendable for such a large hotel.

Location astounding! Breakfast was good! Staff great. When the spa and pool are up and running this place will rock!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (17,901)

Reviewed 16 April 2010

On the plus side - great location and fabulous hot breakfast buffet
Negatives are too many to list, but I'll try -
-- Rooms without windows facing outside are a joke. Even if you're out all day, it'd be nice to know what it's like outside when you wake up. Atrium view, is a window out to window which overlooks the city.
-- No mobile/cell signal in the interior rooms. None. I'd have to leave the room around the corner to the hallway where the elevators were to retrieve my messages and to see what the weather was like.
-- Small rooms which are very dark even with all the lights on. And all the lights are wired to another. Can't just turn on or off ONE light,
-- Speaking of which, no clock in room. Maybe you're used to using your mobile during the day for the time, but I never thought a clock would be a luxury item.
-- Universal electrical outlets is another misnomer. I had to contact maintenance twice, first to enable the outlet to take my three pronged flat iron; then again when after plugged in it tripped out the elec in the room and burned out my hair iron. Why advertise universal outlets if you can't plug anything without an adaptor into it? Why stop halfway?
-- I asked them to remove all the bar items from my fridge (they asked why I wanted them removed), which they did, but three days into my (7 day) stay, they brought everything back, moved my stuff and when I returned that same day, there wasn't any space left.
-- I asked for an extra blanket(again, I was asked why I wanted one) and was told there weren't any. I asked what did they do when a guest asked for a roll-away bed and the staff shrugged, there just weren't any extra blankets because it was a new hotel.
-- If you use the "do not disturb" sign, don't expect it to be honored.

Some were kinks which just needed to be worked out, but the structural ones like no natural light were just too much to overlook. Oh, I purchased it through United Airlines, and there wasn't any mention there or on the Park Plaza website that there wasn't any view - I guess they're trying to keep it a secret.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank soccerfanz10
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Dear soccerfanz10,

I am sorry your experience did not meet your expectation as well as ours.

Having recently celebrated our 3rd anniversary I am pleased that the kinks have now been ironed out.

I would like to assure all points within your review have been duly noted and will only help us to serve you and our future guests better.

I would like to thank you for your detailed feedback.

Regards,
Hasham Soliman
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 15 April 2010

As you look across Westminster Bridge from Big Ben you can see this Hotel. It is in a great location for sightseeing on foot, by bus or by tube. The room was clean and very modern. We found the Receptionists very helpful. The buffet breakfast had a good selection of choices. Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Normally I would not be so forgiving of a hotel that promised so much, but we received a great promotional rate (just under £100) so I have to reflect this in the review. This is a brand new hotel though and I'm sure/hope that they're learning from mistakes.

We were moved room 3 times, purely because the booking wasn't correct, so I have no complaints here as they got it right... eventually. Be aware that if your room is "inside" the hotel, there is no/minimal natural light from the windows and no view. Having seen three rooms, I can say that they're all decorated very well with everything you need for a nice weekend break or business trip. We finally made it to our "studio" room, this has two rooms, a living area, bar/kitchenette (including fridge and microwave), separated by a large bathroom and leads into a spacious bedroom with king bed (in London terms) with a great view (depending on where you are located in the hotel).

Everything is new, so cleanliness was exceptional. Step out of the hotel and you're literally on Westminster Bridge, moments from the Millennium wheel, aquarium, Houses of Parliament and so much more.

We were meeting friends for dinner and arrived back to the hotel around 11pm. When we got back to the room we called down for toothpaste (we always forget something!). The pillows are extremely soft (even doubled up) so we also requested different/more pillows. We made 12 phone calls down to reception/house keeping before falling asleep - without toothpaste or acceptable pillows - the excuse, functions and lack of staff...

Breakfast was fine, a help yourself buffet - we've had a hell of a lot worse.

I think the fact that we were on an introductory rate went against us in our comments/complaint, although we did receive a complimentary drink from the bar.

I have asked about the corporate rate for when I'm in London and will stay here again. I have to way up money paid for what we got (which really was a lot!)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2010

If you are particular about clean hotels, you can't go wrong with this property. This hotel just opened in March 2010. It looked like we were the first to stay in our room!

Great location and plenty of taxis.

The rooms were good. The bathroom is functional, but small. Most rooms have two sep areas (suite style).

With the benefits of a brand new hotel, we also had to deal with the challenges of a "brand new" hotel. All the gadgets and menus were not fully functional, but it wasn't that big of deal to us.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Room 228 was very dark, with the only view of an internal wall, forming part of a rather sparse looking atrium. The mini-bar was empty, and the phone continually flashed, indicating that I had a message to retrieve; however, when i dialled the appropriate number to retrieve the mesaage, all I ever got was the engaged tone. Also the room smelt musty throughout my stay, with no apparent way to open the window, or to facilitate some air conditioning. When leaving my room, I took the wrong lift, that took me to a staff area and the kitchens etc. The sound of people walking along the corridor was quite clear, especially when noisy kids passed by.I imagine many guests would not be impressed with some rooms overlooking the railway at Waterloo Station, although I would quite enjoy that, especially compared to the lack of view in the room which was allocated to me ! More positively, the staff were polite, friendly and helpful, the bedroom was spotlessly clean, and I had a delicious cooked breakfast with superbly cooked fried bread. Also, it was great to be able to watch the Sky sports channels on the tv.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Richard B
Reviewed 12 April 2010

Our first good impressions of this hotel stayed with us throughout our stay. Modern, spacious public areas with special lighting effects. Our room was well designed with sleeping and living areas divided by a central bathroom. Despite the hotel being in the middle of a traffic island, the room was surprisingly quiet. The king-sized bed was comfortable with clean, fresh-smelling linen. We much appreciated the free internet access and adjustable air conditioning. Breakfast was good with a varied range of cooked and continental items, plus fresh fruit and pastries. But more than anything else, the location of this hotel was excellent. We couldn't believe how close it was to Westminster Bridge, the Houses of Parliament and the London Eye. Central London was a short walk away, as was Waterloo Station and the underground. All in all, a great hotel at a great Travelzoo price (£50 per night, per person incl breakfast). And we would love to come back - if we can find another special offer to tempt us!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family