“Good value”
Review of St Joseph Hotel

St Joseph Hotel
Ranked #1,008 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Very pleased that on arrival the gentleman in reception honoured my request for a room with a minimum of stairs as he allocated us a large ground floor room. The room and bathroom were perfectly clean with the bathroom looking to be recently refurbished. The beds were comfortable and the towels provided of an unexpectedly good quality.The room and bathroom were small but perfectly adequate. The breakfast was better than the reviews I had read of the hotel. It was basic but entirely satisfactory and the bread provided was fresh and not just the cheapest available. The one unfirtunate was that the toaster wasn;t working on our second day. For the price paid for a 2 night stay to visit the International Horse show at Olympia it was excellent value for money.

Room Tip: We had G2 room. There wasn't a lot of space to walk around the bed but I managed. The room had a...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank remfan

Reviewed 4 November 2011

We stayed two nights at St Joseph hotel during a family trip to London. We had booked one double room and one tripple room well in advance, but despite that we ended up on different floors far from each other. The stairs were narrow and steep with a thick rug which made it difficult to walk in. No lift. Rooms small but in an OK standard and clean - but the bathroom had a smell from the sewage pipes and the bed pillows were very thin.
Bring cash if you want to use the tv remote control - you have to put up a £20 deposit, and also be prepared to pay for the luggage room on the checkout day - £5 per room. That kind of service I take for granted in hotels, I have been to quite a few.
The continental breakfast was poor, bread from the plastic bags, eggs 20 min cooked - totally green, butter out on the tables so soft that they could not have been near a fridge during the night and the breakfast was run by two baltic women who seemed to hate their job and especially the guests. Dressed in a sloppy way and only speaking their own language to eachother standing in the way for the guests, quite rude attitude.
Even in budget hotels one can expect to be treated as guests - here we rather felt like a burden to the staff.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Inake
Reviewed 22 October 2011

The rooms were quite small but clean (especially the bathroom!). The beds were ok and the sheets had been changed (always a big plus ;)). We were given a room in the lower ground floor, even though we had requested a room in the upper floors. So we had no view at all (a tiny window in the corner from which you could see rusty ladders) but it didn't bother us that much as we stayed for only one night. The lock in the door didn't work properly, apparently there was something wrong with the key so that the lock system didn't always recognise it. They did come to change it the next morning but we were already leaving then.

The breakfast was ok - toast, tea/coffee, eggs, juice, cereals... but nothing "fancy". The staff workers weren't thatt enthusiastic about their job (so it seemed) but we had no problems with anyone.

I can recommend this hotel to people who want a basic hotel with a good location and connections. There's only a 5 min walk to the Earl's Court Station and on the same road as the station there are many shops, pubs etc so if you want to have a bite to eat on your way to the hotel at night or whatever, you can do it. This probably won't be the best hotel you've ever been to but taking the price into account I think this is a good option for a basic traveller.

PS. May I just also recommend the Marmara Mangal restaurant just a 10-15 min walk from the hotel. A real turkish restaurant with great service and amazing food. They actually cook a lot of the foods on real fire next to the counter which makes it really unique (at least I had never seen such a great thing before). It's really worth you money!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Rooms recently upgraded looks ok ,unfortunately typically small .Breakfast poor, same every day (yellow cheese,boiled eggs,corn flakes,jam,butter,tea,coffee,milk) .You better do not take it, if you stay more than 2 days. WiFi not free. No plug adaptor available .

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2011

I wasn't sure what to expect having read some of the other reviews of this hotel. However I must say, my two night stay was rather pleasant. I had a double room which was extremely quiet and comfortable. The rooms are a little small and bijoux but cosy nonetheless. The staff were polite and helpful when we needed to leave our luggage before our room was ready. I would stay here again as it's an excellent location for the Tube and sightseeing.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Pros: Excellent location minutes away from Earls Court tube station, plenty of restaurants around. Cheap and clean room, which is not that common in London.

Cons: The staff at this hotel is very rude except for the evening guy. There are no phones inside the rooms, no elevator and you have to give a 20 pounds deposit to get a remote (!). Also, staff won't bother checking if the room is ready if you arrive even a few minutes before check-in time (2pm).

Bottom line is don't expect any kind of service at this hotel (except from the evening guy) but then again, this is no 5 stars hotel...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I would recommend not staying here. The service is terrible and the staff are very rude. Housekeeping threw away my travelcard. I ended up having to pay money for a new travelcard. The only response I got was that he would tell the housekeeping to not do that in the future. I would recommend going somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends