“Don't even get me started.”
Review of West Two London

West Two London
Ranked #651 of 948 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Look, I'm going to be honest: when I see a poorly-reviewed hostel in a place like London, I just assume that some frat boys thought they'd get a private room, tons of privacy, and ultra-modern facilities. I've stayed in poor parts of Turkey, overheated in northern Iraq, and walked through puddles of piss in India - out of all the places I've been and seen, West Two has by far managed to leave the worst impression. Some of the staff are friendly, but I got an all-around rude vibe from the manager, who didn't even make eye contact with me when answering questions.

But of course, that's not my complaint. For starters, this isn't a hostel so much as what somebody else characterized as a "grungy halfway house." The crowd is not generally pleasant to be around. The lights in my room were turned on three or four times after they were put out at night, and the other guests were raucous and inconsiderate.

There are a handful of bathrooms scattered around the hostel. Some don't have mirrors and at least one is sink-less. Several of the showers are so small you can't move without bumping either the curtain or the knob.

My sheets were dirty when I arrived. When another girl checked in late at night, a staff member opened the door to the room I was staying in and changed them right then and there - at close to 12am, he was climbing up the bunk over mine and doing a chore that should have been completed after the last guest had checked out. The worst part was that he started having a conversation with another guy in the bunk over, "whispering" loudly. Seriously, man, use your brain and respect the people who are giving you a job.

All the amenities at West Two suck and seem like they were placed by somebody who couldn't have cared less what it all looks like. The kitchen is tiny and cramped; the common room is tiny and cramped; and the bunk-beds are all placed haphazardly. You want a towel? Too bad, because they neither supply nor rent them to guests. Public computer? Nah. Breakfast? Sure, but you've got to pay.

It's not an awful place to spend a night, but expect to be woken up several times. The atmosphere, however, is undeniably awful. I had a friend who was staying somewhere near the Thames, in a much better location, for nine pounds a night (versus the 13 I had to pay). He got great Internet, free computer access, free breakfast, free towels, and free Coca-Cola at his hostel's bar. If only I had known. Another guest who was visiting from Scotland and staying in the same room as me told me that he was paying half the price as me.

I would rather spend a week at a place in the desert, with a squat-toilet, no glass in my windows, and nobody around who speaks English. I've done that, actually, and it was a hell of a lot better than West Two London.

Oh, and: they might have bedbugs. Can't say for sure, but I've had a few suspicious bite marks (i.e., like three in a row, in a perfect line, in several places) appear after my first night.

Half of your staff needs an attitude adjustment and an ounce of common sense.

Sorry for the rant, but damn. I'll never stay here again; this hostel could be so much better if it seemed like the owner actually cared about maintaining a decent facility.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank RYJFA

Reviewed 9 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This place is the worst hostel in the world, trip advisor needed to check out this hostel out, even health and safety, the kitchen is filthy, bathroom dirty, I still feel sick whenever I think about it, its depressing. I bled for for long after cutting myself while I tried to lock the bathroom door, because hedges on the door. The manager and staffs are 0% helpful.Even if prisoners stays here they will refused to commit a crime again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Five of my friends and I only ended up staying at this hostel because we left it until two days before our trip to London to book our accommodation. As we were only staying for two nights, we weren't bothered about staying in a hostel and this seemed to be one of the only hostels in a decent location available on a Thursday/Friday night. As far as the cost goes, it was really cheap and we wouldn't have expected much more for what we paid. The first night, we were separated into 2 groups of three. This will have been down to our late booking and we didn't mind sharing rooms with other people. There were no issues here. We arrived early and the staff were happy to hold our bags until we were able to check in later that afternoon. The rooms were small and as basic as it gets, as expected. The bathrooms were terrible and there didn't really seem to be enough to serve the number of guests within the building. Each room didn't have it's own bathroom, just a sink. There were only a couple of restrooms (toilet and shower) per floor. The bathrooms didn't appear to be very clean and the showers were ancient. I have no issue with very basic amenities but this place seriously needs updating. It's very untidy, unclean and poorly kept.

The only real pro about this place is it's location; it's right around the corner from Bayswater tube station which is served by the Circle and District lines right in the centre of London.

I have only ever stayed in one other hostel before and that was in the USA where I believe that they are generally of a much higher standard. My friends, however, had stayed in quite a few and stated that this was the worst that they'd stayed in to date. I probably wouldn't return to this place again unless I was desperate. Don't expect to get more than what you pay for. If you're paying £15 a night, even that's probably a little too expensive for what you get here.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank jg04172014a
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I would first like to say that I am not picky when it comes to hotel/hostels. I've stayed in many places which has been absolutely fine even if they only were £15 a night.
First of all, this place calls itself a hotel. It's a hostel, not a hotel. It is extremely smelly, the corridors are absolutely filthy. Scratches all over the doors and walls.
We were told not to worry about our luggage cause our door had double locking. All right, so if it didn't have double locking, we should be worried?
Also, the man who checked us in should learn to button his shirt, as it isn't very nice having his chest hairs up your face.
No towels (most hostels provide towels these days?) Bathroom door couldn't shut properly (we had an ensuite room), but didn't really make a difference as when you were on the toilet you could have your feet on the bed at the same time. The rooms are VERY depressing to be in, so you won't want to spend much time there. Walls are very thin!
I wouldn't stay here again, I'd rather pay a couple of pounds extra to stay in a place a bit cleaner and nicer.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ZFriis
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We were not to stay at this hotel because we booking for central hostel but they had no rooms to put them in by mistake. since both belong to the same hostels they sent us to the west two hotel. and when we arrived we were greeted by a young Spanish woman who was not able to solve our problem , they wanted us to walk in the hostel and hostel as it is obvious we did not want . Then came the manager of them who was very friendly and put us in a room that was soon up pretty nice . I think in all of this the only person who was really accessible was the manager . During our stay gave us the feeling that we are invading other people's houses because most of the people who were living there at the hostel were not just tourists like us . Many of them were a bit pigs , were sitting in the middle of the stairs without shoes and felt a very intense smell of stinky feet . The bathrooms were always or occupied or out of service . often had to go to a coffee Starbuks will only be able to go to the bathroom when we were too tight . I think that the hostel has a lot of lack of organization and hygiene, however I think all this happens by the manager goodwill because the people who live there do you make cleaning and reception and this in turn should decrease the cost of the room . the manager is a good guy out there that was all very strange.
Despite all this the hostel is in a great location, the stations are Bayswater and quensway 5 or 10 minute walk, have varying supermarkets around, many restaurants and nice pubs. Can you make a good from there walk up to Buckingham Palace and then to the big ben, is a long but very beautiful walk. I very likely will not return to this hostel but if for example 3 or 4 people to stay in a 4 bed room not to feel like we were invading. shared rooms do not aconcelho because they have very poor hygiene.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2014

My group and I were all very nervous about staying in a hostel as we had never really traveled alone before. It was a little confusing to get to, but we made it and we made it before our room was actually ready. No biggie. They held onto our stuff behind the desk at reception and we went out to look at things, explore, take pictures and get a beer or two. Came back and our room was clean, dingy looking and already had roommates. We met some of the most fantastic people here, I couldn't barely believe it. The people here are very memorable and made our stay awesome.

The facilities were pretty awful. Some showers weren't working, they didn't seem very clean, it was pretty cold there, the beds had no sheets (which we expected, though), there were people always standing outside that seemed like buskers, but made me feel a little weary. The folks working there were fine, but everything seemed like it was very old, furniture specifically. We didn't spend much time there, but it was kind of what I expected.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room on the top floor :P Really narrow steps.