“Not so ritzy !”

Ranked #33 of 1,069 Hotels in London
northampton
“Not so ritzy !”
Reviewed 25 April 2012

On the 11th. day of the 11th. month, 2011, I chose to meet my youngest son Nicholas at The Ritz, with the 'mission' to also receive a till receipt at 11th. hour. 11th. minute. This was my second visit to The Ritz, with the first back in the 1980s when treated by a business companion, who needless to say, drove a Rolls Royce and had a three masted sloop based in Southam,pton, Hampshire. On that occasion the afternoon tea was extremely pleasant as was the business result for me. On the previous eveing I had attended a Masonic function at Stationer's Hal;l, near St. Pauls's, spent the night at a Holiday Inn near Chelsea. On arrival by taxi at The Ritz I gave my name at reception and a copy of my e-mail booking. On being seated at my reserved table I was then approasched by a manager who stated that tables were for reservations only. That I was already seated at my reserved table I took offence at his sharp comment. He apologised and departed. Eventually my pot of Darjeeeling tea was served. Sadly, it was little short of tepid, and almost cold. This for me was an amazing situation in a place such as The Ritz. my son arrived and I was dutifully presented with a till receipt stamped 11.11.11 - 11.00hrs. 11 mins. Tea was not exactly my son's choice, so we departed to the champagne bar. There, we sat and discussed family matters over quite a few glasses of champagne. I had brought my late uncle's ( George Henry Hamilton ) war medals, so we could taost his war contribution. He committed suicide having being discharged from the army on medical grounds. A sad event in my family history. The ambience in the champagne bar was fantastic and we outdrank most guests. The bill for the champagne came to £200. Afterwards Nicholas and I bought some souvenirs of The Ritz and took photographs. We departed to continue our family meeting in Soho. I did e-mail the Ritz manager and he apologised for the rare situation I had encountered and requested that I return so that he and I could have 'a chat'. I had tried to attend on St George's Day, 23rd. April, as The Ritz had a special menu for that day. But events prevented me from that day and meeting. I will return early summer, and hope to find the Darjeeeling pot of tea to be at least hot in The Ritz, which at 11.11. 11 proved not so ritzy. At the 11th. hour the Ritz staff lined up in front of the guests and paid a minutes silence in homage to our war fallen and veterans. This was a charming and sincere moment which I will never forget ( tea aside, that is ).
Geoff Hamilton, editor, Anglo-Nordic Times Intl. ( Fd. 1976 ).
Wedn. 25th. April, 2012, 14 51 pm gmt st +1.

Room Tip: before final booking ensure you visit the room of your choice, or see the photographs of your room...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (478)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Rochester NY
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I was there for a wedding. Expensive, but the Best. Level of service ..... Perfect.

• Stayed February 2012
Bagshot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was a surprise for my 50th birthday from my wife, upon our arrival, we were greeted by two doorman, who were very efficient & informative. We were then introduced to our concierge, Sebastian, who showed us to our room, & explained every thing, All you would expect from the Ritz. The room was clean, well laid out with plenty of storage space, & the bed was comfortable, Sebastian even organised complementary coffee & brownies for us, which was nice, when it was delivered we asked for an ice bucket, as my wife had bought a bottle champagne with us, which was delivered promptly with nibbles, ie; mixed nuts, crisp's & the nicest olives in lemon, five minutes later, a complimentary birthday cake, with a card from the hotel arrived,
Upon arrival at Victoria station, we were led in into a waiting area and plied with champagne until the train was ready, then, when we were boarding the train we were accompanied by music, from a lone scottish piper, which added to the occassion.
We were shown to the Ibis carriage, which was built in 1925, with marquetry panelling & liberty print upholstery, we were seated in big heavy comfortable armchairs at an individual table, whilst on board we were presented with a seven course 'grazing' menu, Champagne & wines selected by the sommelier, the staff were attentive and set us at ease, the whole journey was very relaxed, and a true experience, the food was of a very high standard, my only criticism would be of the steak course, whilst tender, unfortunately it had no flavour.
When we arrived back at the Ritz, the night staff were happy to take photo's of us in the reception area, and it was nice to have a nose around with no one about, to view the magnificent side rooms.
In the morning we went to breakfast at the Ritz restaurant, we were greeted and shown to a table, we were just given a menu, no one explained about the buffet, the service was very rushed, and when the breakfast arrived, in parts was cold and not cooked as we had ordered, waiters were literally asking questions as they walked past, on occassions i didn't even realise they were talking to us. It was a shame to have such an end to what was a brilliant experience.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank peter1928
Colchester, England
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This has to be a contender for one of the best hotels in the world .It combines luxury with comfort and excellent service, enormous supremely comfortable beds, a real feeling of being looked after, whilst somehow feeling at home.It has all sorts of eye catching design features, and an excellent central location.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dorset
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Great service, beautiful art deco features and furnishings, wonderful food. Room was large-ish (I upgraded as the one we'd booked looked a little cramped), overlooking Piccadilly and Berkeley Streetood, and was again, beautifully appointed. Cocktails in the Rivoli are a must, but remeber to book a table in advance!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Redbaron4
Hampshire
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Well, the Ritz certainly lives up to their name! The hotel itself is extremely well situated for the West End, the decor is good, the staff were all fantastic and I could not have wished for a better weekend. The bedroom, although the standard room, was very large for London, with very good facilities. I recommend having a drink in the Rivoli Bar, which was very special. Don't hesitate to book yourself a stay at this hotel :)

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cate_devine
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night for a christmas/birthday treat.

We were upgraded to a junior suite which was great. The whole trip was fantastic, we had afternoon tea in the Palm Court which was thoroughly enjoyable, saw a show in the West End then after a lovley nights sleep breakfast was fantastic.

The hotel just exudes luxury and elegance. It is very expensive, but well worth the money for a once in a lifetime stay at a truely iconic london hotel. One ticked off my bucket list!!

Room Tip: Room over looking picadilly a little noisy
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family