New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #22 of 1,078 Hotels in London
channel islands
“Faded elegance”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We checked in to a deluxe room and was very disappointed at the dated state of the bathroom after complaining I did manage to change room . The staff are superb and the cocktail bar was like stepping back in time very charming . The room they serve breakfast in was stunning so the old charm very lovely to sit in and have afternoon tea evening cocktails etc ,but staying the night if you like 5 star accommodation the bedrooms it might be fine to be antiquated but the bathrooms need a full refurbishment I am pleased to have stayed but would not choose to come back . The location is great .

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Exec0ffice1, Managing Director at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback on your stay at The Ritz London. I am very pleased to see that the majority of your comments are of a positive nature and cannot help feeling disappointed that you felt let down by the bathroom facilities. We have an on-going schedule of refurbishment of the bathrooms and it would seem that your bathroom must be on that list. If you change your mind regarding staying at The Ritz in the future, please do let my office know. Thank you again for your thoughts. SB, Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (428)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I worried prior to my visit about the reputation of the hotel for correct dress code and potential snobbishness. Dont worry, the hotel has high standards but they are gently enforced. We dressed in a smart but casual way on arrival and whilst using reception. Using the bar we dressed up a little more and this really makes you feel like you belong. Embracing the hotels elegance by dressing appropriatly makes the hotel more enjoyable.
The level of service is difficult to capture in a review. It's about anticipation of your needs before you have even thought of them. It's about friendliness and helpful advice. Its about providing the highest level of service that can possibly be achieved. It's a level achieved nowhere else in the world. I suggest you try it as its very special.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for these glowing comments, and I have to say this is exactly what I would hope to read each time a guest takes the time to leave a review. The Ritz is renowned for its quality of service and I will never tire of hearing that we have delivered beyond the expectation of anyone who passes through the revolving doors. I hope we can welcome you back to The Ritz on another occasion. SB, Managing Director
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

This hotel is the best in Britain, just perfection in all department. You should experience the fine dineing room with the elegance or the afternoon tea, its a real treat. The bar has the best bar staff in London with superb cocktails, all at prices less than you expect.

The only hotel that comes close is the Ritz in Paris ( no connection) but is in London its a must and really is thee best in Britain - bar none !!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I am always genuinely delighted to receive such heartening feedback from guests. It is exactly this type of appreciation that pushes all of us here at The Ritz to go that extra mile and strive to exceed expection. Thank you very much. SB, Managing Director
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

My girlfriend and I booked a night at the Ritz as a birthday treat as we had always wanted to stay in this world-famous hotel. The building itself didn't disappoint with its elegant luxury. The room was excellent - it was spacious and classically decorated.

However, my stay was let down by the attitude of some (not all) of the staff I encountered. I've been fortunate enough that in my job I've had the privilege of staying in a number of world-class hotels. In all others the service has been welcoming, in line with the experience that such hotels aim to offer. In the Ritz, it was sometimes stand-offish and in certain cases downright rude.

For example: Returning to the hotel after a night out I was virtually rugby tackled by a night doorman who demanded to know where I was going. Before I had a change to reply, I got the third reminder *that day* that 'one must wear a tie in the bar' - except that I wasn't going to the bar, I was returning to my room. When I stated this, he just turned around and walked away without saying another word. This gave a dreadfully poor impression, that my girlfriend and I were somehow unsuitable for their hotel. I repeat, I have never had other world-class hotels make this impression, so I do not think this is the result of having some sort of chip on my shoulder.

My view: if you're going to spend £300+ on a one-night hotel stay, avoid the Ritz and go somewhere else where you'll be made to feel welcome, rather than being treated like pond scum.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank afcone
Bowling Green, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

My daughter in law and I were shopping and asked a sales girl where we should go to have tea. She said if you want the full experience go to the Ritz! We hopped in a taxi, walked up to this grand desk and asked if it was possible to have tea. The lady was very polite and said you must book tea in advance but it is possible to be served tea in the bar. Then she asked if either of us were wearing athletic shoes. We both giggled because my daughter in law had just purchased a pair of black flats right before we walked in. She had changed out of her "athletic shoes" because she did feel "frumpy" that day. London women seem to always be dressed in the latest fashion but we were sight seeing that day and walking over 5 miles. We did have a wonderful tea and cocktail to match in the bar. The waiter could not have been kinder explaining everything to us. The place setting was very beautiful; silver tea pot and all. The nibbles that came free were also quite lovely. The biggest green olives! This is one of my favorite memories of our trip. I did notice all the men had on jackets if you're taking your man with you.

3 Thank hitmom
New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

Previous reviewers have said just about everything that needs to be said. The Ritz really is wonderful and for the couple of days we were there they pampered us beyond belief. We were amazed that within 30 minutes of being in the hotel we were greeted by name. When we dropped a letter off with the concierge he not only greeted us by name but said that he would charge the postage to our room number xx. How do they do it?

Tables were found at booked out restaurants and tips and hints for transport, shopping and sightseeing were spot on. We have already made a pact that the Ritz will become a ritual of our 24,000km trips to London!!

The only improvement suggestion would be a walk-in shower, rather than having to step into the bath.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Exec0ffice1, Stephen Boxall, Managing Director at The Ritz at The Ritz London, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
Thank you very much for your kind and generous appraisal and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Ritz. We are constantly making improvements and refurbishment of the facilities and have noted your comment on the shower. Thank you again. SB
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We booked the Ritz to experience something special and give ourselves a treat.
I must say we were quite disappointed and didn't find the level of service that we had expected (porters excluded) and I was very disappointed at the standard and quality of the room. It wasn't special at all and we came across various things which were broken in the room such as light switches and the toilet seat, can you believe a broken toilet seat in the Ritz which the cleaners must have noted as it wouldn't even stay up! The bathroom was small and I couldn't even stand under the shower, it only came up to my chin and I am only 6ft tall.
Value for money was extremely low on the richter scale and I would reccomend something different unless you want to be able to say you have stayed at the Ritz - wake up and look for a better deal.

• 1 of 5 bubbles