“Not my favorite Art Museum”
Review of National Gallery

National Gallery
Book In Advance
More Info
US$77.54*
and up
Small-Group Guided Tour of the National Gallery...
Ranked #1 of 1,871 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The National Gallery houses the national collection of paintings in the Western European tradition from the 13th to the 19th centuries. It is on show 361 days a year, free of charge.
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Let me say that I have visited many of the great Art Museums in Europe and the US and in comparison the National Gallery just falls short for me. The paintings are difficult to locate because the gallery doesn’t seem to have a clean flow from one style or period to another but a hodgepodge of rooms going in many different directions.In addition the lighting didn’t seem to show the paintings off to full advantage. My biggest disappointment was that many of the most famous paintings had been removed. and placed in a special exhibition that was charged a fee to seeor out on tour.I don’t have a problem with paying to see a special exhibition of paintings on tour but to make the exhibition with your own paintings, especially the most popular ones is plain greedy and stupid. It was my wife and I only real disappointment in London and I really usually love art museums.

1  Thank spiegs882016
Write a ReviewReviews (33,747)
All reviews
in 271 reviews
"couple of hours"
in 284 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

the national gallery is a great place to go if you have some free time. in the middle of London and close to other attractions its great to see. free entry which is great and lots to see.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

This place is defiantly worth a visit. From the beginning we were greeted with warm welcome by two lovey gentleman, one dark hair and one blonde. They asked us if we had an idea of what we want want to see. I said 1400-1500 paintings. The advised me to buy a map. Which was very clear and concise. The actual gallery is huge and lots to see. I recommend coming here and also they have some cute things to buy in the shop too.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

As an art lover i really enjoyed the visit inside the museum where you can find different periods of art, and so many different artists. A large portion of the exhibition is dedicated to England traditional art, but you can find also Leonardo, Van Gogh, Mirò and many others. Very good location, everything is well cared. And last but not least the entrance is free, you only pay the map of the museum but the fee is very low. Recommended.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Me and my nephews went to visit the National Gallery one rainy day to get out of the rain! We ended up spending more than three hours inside. I enjoyed watching my nephews going through the master’s list. They were reading the brochure and the captions near each painting. They were discussing the strokes colors and the way the paintings were done in the various styles of the artists in their respective eras. I was so amazed that these gallery could hold their attention for such a long time. Now they are planning on going back and bringing their friends along! My nephews are in their teens, who have been so used to the internet and techy devices, that it is so refreshing to see them so interested in the arts. Thank you National Gallery!