“CHARLES 1ST EXHIBITION”

and up
Sherlock Holmes Film Location Tour in London
Ranked #183 of 1,814 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1768, this thriving center of artistic excellence is the oldest fine arts institution in Britain, whose exhibitions attract over a million people each year.
Reviewed 13 March 2018

Very Interesting To See,Though A Little Crowded Even With A Timed Ticket,Also A Little Expensive.Easy To Find Just Off Piccadilly Circus. You Can Visit The Cafe/Coffee Shop & Toilets For Free.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,719)
All reviews
in 53 reviews
"galleries"
in 112 reviews

Reviewed 12 March 2018

A manageable sized exhibition with some magnificent portraits,especially those by Anthony van Dyke. However… The number of people allowed in on the timed visits made it very difficult to enjoy anything. Well done The Royal Academy on attracting so many people, but I arrived half-an-hour before my allotted time, and was not allowed in early, so I assumed the access would be very select, but it was an absolute bun-fight when I got in with people standing zombie-like listening to their audio guides especially in Gallery I which was so packed I passed through it very quickly.

My main criticism though was with the lighting, the exhibition was gloomy throughout. Gallery III The Triumph of Caesar by Andrea Mantegna was so badly presented it was unviewable in the dark space. Also with many of the larger pictures, because of the general gloom, when spot-lit, it was impossible to view the whole picture without enormous patches of reflected glare. With years of experience one would imagine the Royal Academy would have solved these sort of problems.

The overall darkness and large numbers made the exhibition unbearably claustrophobic and I could only cope with about 2 hours max.

(Ideally don't go on Mothering Sunday!)

2  Thank jezzaoutandabout
Kate T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Academy of Arts, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2018

Thank you for sharing your review. Charles I is a very busy exhibition and I entirely understand that a busy show is not to everyone's taste. We do limit the number of tickets available and these tickets are timed. Additionally we have limited the number of group bookings that can be made (and reduced the size of those groups). A show like Charles I is never quiet but it is less busy after 4 pm. I'm sorry you felt uncomfortable.
In relation to your second point, the exhibition is intended to be quite dark, firstly from a environmental perspective (to preserve the artworks) but also from a design viewpoint; making the show a more theatrical experience. I'm sorry to hear you found this too dark. Whilst there will always be an element of personal taste in how an exhibition is displayed I have passed on your comments to the curatorial team (we have already for example slightly increased lighting in galleries 1 and 2).
Thank you for getting in touch. I hope you will be able to visit us again. Many thanks, Kate

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Exclusive access courtesy of the Executive week we had with Sotheby's Institute of Art London. The Librarians themselves were leading us into their daily activities in their incredibly old and magnificent space! The Royal Academy always hosts high caliber art events and in the heart of the alluring most Mayfair, one indeed must visit! (Visited January 2017, May 2015)

Reviewed 11 March 2018

The exhibition brings together the art collection of Charles the first since its dispersal and there are many great paintings here. But were left underwhelmed by the lack of information. Many of the paintings on display are in the Royal collection however, except for sometimes telling us how much the paintings were sold for at the commonwealth sales no provenance is given, no details how the collection was put back together. There aren't that many paintings from outside of the UK , so much for its European dispersal. Nor was the collection of Charles put into context with other collections of that time. There were many blank walls which could have been used for more information and the gallery guide was a waste of paper. Sadly the RA is dumming down its exhibitions. Lots of nice paintings but don't try too hard to understand what you are looking at seems to be their approach. For £18 I'd expect more. I don't see why I have to buy the exhibition catalogue to find out basic information that in years gone-by would have been explained readily. Sadly an exhibition of our trivialised time and distinctly lacking in academic rigour.

Dear Margaret,
Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear you felt the interpretation in Charles I was too light and that you feel we are dumbing down our exhibitions.
We aim to provide a variety of channels for access interpretation; information panels, gallery guides, audio guides and our website. For Charles I we were also lucky enough to have television coverage too. We are aware that our Friends and visitors like to access the collections via a variety of means and we aim to connect with a wide range of learning styles. In designing the galleries however we are also aware that there is a limit to the amount of interpretation (and for that matter artwork) that can be installed before it becomes overwhelming. Some walls are deliberately left blank for this purpose. I will pass on your feedback to the curatorial team.
Meanwhile I am pleased that you enjoyed the artworks on offer. We hope to see you again soon.
Many thanks,
Kate

See more reviews
Reviewed 9 March 2018

I love the Royal Academy and so I regret to report deep disappointment with the show "From Life." It was a small show, and the few pieces it contained were weak and uninteresting, for the most part. One room was full of amateur sketches, then there was a video of children drawing, followed by a wall of boring photography... and so on. Given the Academy's rich history and its artistic and academic integrity, we know you can do better RA!

Kate T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Academy of Arts, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2018

Thank you for sharing your experience of visiting From Life. I'm so sorry you did not enjoy the exhibition. I will pass this onto the curatorial team. I hope on your next visit you will see something more to your liking. Thank you for your on-going support of the RA. Many thanks, Kate