“Charles I: King and Collector”

Royal Academy of Arts
Book In Advance
More Info
US$17.15*
and up
Sherlock Holmes Film Location Tour in London
Ranked #184 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1768, this thriving center of artistic excellence is the oldest fine arts institution in Britain, whose exhibitions attract over a million people each year.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I really enjoyed this exhibition, it's really well curated with a collection not seen together in 370 years - so a real once in a life time exhibition.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,718)
All reviews
in 53 reviews
"galleries"
in 112 reviews

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Visited on Saturday 17 March. Booked my ticket and audio tour months ago when the exhibition started. Arrived in plenty of time and hung around in the shop area until my timed ticket. It was VERY busy, so they were politely asking people to stick with their allotted ticket time. I had pre booked the audio tour, but they were running out of the audio sets - being early meant i was able to pick it up a few minutes beforehand which was excellent. First gallery very busy - people didn't move on as several of the main pieces were in the first gallery, but once into gallery two the crowds dissipated quite a bit. Hints - Definitely get the audio tour! Listen to the visually impaired descriptions of the paintings. I am not impaired, but I found it really very useful to pick up on nuances that i wouldn't have done without the descriptions. Also each gallery has large print books of the item descriptions which are on the wall. You can pick these up at the entrance to each gallery, but you must put them back on leaving each gallery. Although they didn't give more information than what was on the wall, it did mean you could step back and see some of the pictures of the centre of the room and still have the text to read - great idea. You really do need to see the paintings both close up and far away - many are huge and you don't get the impact with everyone squished up. Also, the lighting on some pieces means you need to stand back to avoid glare. You can borrow a folding seat so you can take the weight off your feet - there are at least 11 galleries so you'll be standing a long time. There are benches throughout the exhibition but not in every room. Bearing in mind the demographic even on a saturday was overwhelmingly 'later in life', they could do with more seating. Overall I had a very enjoyable 3 hours wandering around, taking in the pictures, tapestries and sculptures. I thought it was well staged, with linked pieces juxtaposed which made them easier to understand. The audio tour was invaluable, but could have covered many more pieces (its about 20 of the 200) and could have given more information about each piece. Some pieces had no explanation at all so i perhaps appreciated those less - i'm not an art expert - i'm a person who likes nice paintings so i need the context and explanation to get the political or romantic meaning for instance - the reasons behind the compositions can be a bit too subtle for me! Finally, a mention to the staff at the exhibition entrance checking tickets... you were doing a wonderful job keeping people informed and the mainly septuagenarian visitors in check with their ticket times... They may be of advanced years, but they gave no quarter when it came to queuing up!

1  Thank Picc2014
Kate T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Academy of Arts, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm really pleased you enjoyed the exhibition and that you enjoyed the audio guide. We have recently requested more audio guide handsets to reduce the risk of them running out. Seating is a difficult balance in the gallery as space is such a premium. I will however speak with the curatorial team to see if there is anything we can do. I will also pass on your kind comments to the visitor experience team! We look forward to seeing you again soon. Many thanks, Kate

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I went to see the Charles I exhibition - wonderful. We then made the mistake of going into the restaurant for tea. We paid £5 for an indifferent lemon drizzle muffin, £4.50 for an ordinary piece of treacle tart, £3.10 for a pot of English Breakfast tea and £2.90 for an Americano. This is just exploitation of a (fairly captive) audience. There are a couple of nice restaurants in Piccadilly between the Royal Academy and Green Park tube station with a better and cheaper selection of cakes ( and table service). We shall be patronising them in the future and I advise any other visitors to do likewise.

1  Thank Ivor G

Dear Ivor, thank you for sharing your experience. I'm glad that you enjoyed the Charles I exhibition. It's a really splendid show. I'm sorry however that you felt the restaurant to present bad value for money. I will pass on your comments to the catering manager. I hope you and your wife are able to visit us again soon. Many thanks, Kate

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

A short distance from Piccadilly you’ll find the Royal Academy. Entrance to the exhibition is by timed ticket. We brought ours a week in advance and they were running out of available times then so book in advance if you can as it seems to be very popular. After queuing for a while outside, we were finally allowed in at 10am (earliest available time). First impression was that it was very crowded in the first gallery. It did thin out afterwards but it was difficult at times to stand back and appreciate some of the art. Each item did have a little information but would have liked a little more context on some as I don’t want to have to rely on audio guides. You can’t dispute the quality of the collection, although as commented by others not that many seem to be from overseas. Took us about an hour and a half to go round and I did enjoy it but not sure is it’s great value at £18?

2  Thank David P