Open today: 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Ways to Experience Royal Academy of Arts
from US$15.80
More Info
from US$42.30
More Info
1,756 results
All reviews summer exhibition david hockney burlington house matisse exhibition ai weiwei wonderful exhibition timed tickets current exhibition works of art audio guide permanent collection art lovers on display for sale beautiful building ra paintings
Reviewed 3 days ago

Went to the Klimt and Schiele exhibition, which was tremendous. We'd recently been to Vienna and seen a great deal of Klimt and Schiele so were in two minds whether to go. However, we saw an eye-opening suite of drawings that presented another side to both artists, with good contextualisation. Really pleased we saw it.

Afterwards we went to look around the rest of the RA, but there is very little to see! Hence only three bubbles. When you visit exhibitions at other galleries at least you get to see lots of other art, which makes the price of the ticket more worthwhile.

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

£16 minimum for this quite small exhibition of largely small pencil drawings and sketches is quite frankly outrageous. When you compare it with the stunning Courtaulds Impressionists currently at The National Gallery for £7.50 you can clearly identify the overpricing.

Reviewed 1 week ago

My daughter bought me annual membership to the Royal Academy last Christmas. Not been much on to attract me until now. Being a huge fan of both artists this exhibition was a delight. I found the drawings fascinating and very accessible. So exciting to see Klimt sketches of his well known works. It's a very small exhibition and would suit anyone new to galleries.

The cafe has been tarted up, along with the rest of the gallery. It's pleasant enough, but prices are ridiculously high.

Kate T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Academy of Arts, responded to this reviewResponded 5 days ago

Dear Carol,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed the Klimt Schiele exhibition. I will pass on your thoughts about the prices in the cafe to our caterers. I hope that you are able to visit us again soon and make best use of your membership.
Thank you for getting in touch. Many thanks, Kate.

Reviewed 1 week ago

The Royal Academy of Arts is in a maze of building and so paid £2 for a map. The cafe was a disappointment for a Sunday morning ... hoping to sit having breakfast coffee and read the paper, alas no hot food. Klimt exhibition very good. I prelurchased a timed ticket ... earliest I could get was 1115 on first day - BUT too crowded alas to really enjoy.

Reviewed 1 week ago

First visit to the RA specifically to see Oceania.
LIKES
+ spacious gallery spread over several large rooms
+ easily accessible from Green Park and Piccadilly Circus underground stations
+ cafe facilities on site serving hot and cold food
+ good clean and modern toilet facilities
+ large shop offering wide range of items including jewellery, books, cards etc.
+ Oceania book of good quality and very reasonable priced at £18 paperback
DISLIKES
- admission fee at £18 per person especially as there was no re-admission option available.
- audio guide was boring and the tone of the male voice monotonous and distracting
- poor signage on many items on display. We visited late morning Saturday 3 November when the galleries were quite busy. Though we could clearly see the items on display it was impossible to read the small signs (6 inch square) positioned near the items because of the number of other visitors. Those signs we did manage to read offered limited information.

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The tea is served in cast iron ridiculously impractical pots. I only had two of these on my tray for me and a friend and they were SO heavy. I would like to point out that this is an actual health and safety risk. There was no warning from the matelot bedecked staff, that the tray may be heavy. I have only just recovered from a slipped disc and if I had to carry that a few weeks ago I would be back in hospital. The stupid pots don’t even pour well and the lids are so I’ll fitting they do not stay on without being held on. Nice cup of tea though!

Kate T, Guest Relations Manager at Royal Academy of Arts, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Dear Angela,
Thank you for getting in touch. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with our caterers. I will pass your feedback onto them. If you like you can email me on kate.topham@royalacademy.org.uk and I can put you in direct contact. I hope you are able to visit us again soon.
Many thanks, Kate

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Latest exhibition absolutely worth a visit, brilliant collection and great audio guide. The rolling movie is very engaging, an hour long but entrancing.

Dear Jessica - thank you for your kind review. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed Oceania. I will pass on your comments to our audio guide team. I hope you can visit us again soon. Many thanks, Kate

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

Interesting exhibition,but expensive at £18 pc. Art Pass only gave £1 pc discount instead of usual 50%. Display labelling and lighting TERRIBLE. V frustrating. Could have been laid out for better. A shame. The exhibits and theme are fab.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Outstanding exhibition, great audio guide which explained everything thoroughly, allowing you to move along at your own pace. Excellent varied exhibits. Well laid out. Interesting. Highly recommend this exhibition.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Loved the exhibition. I travelled from Portsmouth for the day, especially for this exhibition, and was not disappointed. I thought the entrance fee was very reasonable for such an exhibition and for a London gallery. The charge also included the audio guide. Previous reviewers have complained about the small concession given for certain groups. I'm in favour of museums not giving concessions in return for free tickets for children and for specific groups of students. Children are the future of museums and need to be encouraged to visit. If museums can support students studying for a particular qualification, then it should also be encouraged. I'm sure this will be the way forward for many museums.

The exhibition is housed in a number of large galleries. Entry is by a timed ticked. I was pleasantly surprised that there was not a feeling of crowds and it was easy to see all the exhibits and accompanying descriptive signs. The audio guide was very informative with descriptions of the exhibits and also interviews with experts. I am not normally a fan of audio guides but this one I found very informative and each section was not too long. I wonder if there is a version for children. I was also pleased to see that the audio guide had descriptions for visually impaired visitors.

As for the exhibits, I was thoroughly engaged by them all: canoes, oars, statues, a fabulous 5 metre long feeding trough, unfathomable navigation equipment - works of art in their own right - head-dresses, cloaks and materials and smaller items. All telling a story of Pacific culture. It must have taken some planning and curating to bring all these items together.

Towards the end of the exhibition is a film well worth watching but find a bench or sit on the floor. The film is long! The background is painted but the characters are live action. The story itself is very poignant.

I stayed about 2 hours and enjoyed every aspect of the exhibition.

Thank you for your lovely review and for travelling so far to see us. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your visit. I think Oceania is a beautiful show. I hope you had a safe journey home and we look forward to seeing you again. Many thanks, Kate