“Funky Find”

Ranked #899 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Funky Find”
Reviewed 1 February 2012

This review was written by my sister who does not have a TripAdvisor account... Over the Christmas holidays, I traveled with my sister to London and the south of France. While my sister lodged in 5 star hotels, I decided to stay at several hotels in London during our visit - all near Paddington Station -- just because.

If fun and funky is your thing then the Pavilion Hotel in London, England is truly a bargain and a great place to stay. The hotel has rooms designed around a theme. My single-bed room, "Underwater Love", although small, was cozy, comfortable and clean. Continental breakfast was quietly delivered to my door at 6:30am.

Room Tip: There is no elevator; so when making your reservations be certain to inquire which floor your room i...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank LRB10

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Andover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 January 2012

£104, could have been £100 but paid by card,
no problem with that.

Fun place to visit, wouldn`t return sorry, but still a must do if not too fussy, and want a BIG smile when looking around while laying in bed.

Country boy me, think I`ll add another £85 to you budget next time we are in London.

Cheers Danni sorry we missed you.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 17 January 2012

When we arrived the room we requested wasn't available. The receptionist insisted someone had tried to ring me but they certainly hadn't. There was no apologies and we didn't get a choice of room until I insisted on choosing another one. We stayed in the Indian summer room which was dark, dusty and extremely small. We couldn't walk around the bed without turning on our side.

There was lamps hanging low and at odd angles that we constantly hit our heads on. Rugs , old ones that were laid in odd places causing trips constantly.

Determined to enjoy our time in London we enquired to reception about getting a taxi to particular restaurant. He informed us that London black cabs were very expensive and phoned a private cab firm to enquire on a price. He told it was £17. When the taxi arrived we were already standing outside. The taxi driver then told us he had to go into the hotel for a card. When we had finished at the restaurant we jumped into a black cab and the same fare was £8!! Shock wasn't the word. We know that the receptionist must have a deal with the taxi driver! When we questioned the receptionist he looked sheepish but said he would call them up. He didn't!!

The breakfast the next day wad a joke. It was left outside the door. When questioned about this he told us there was no dining room, this was not told when we booked! There was no where to eat breakfast except on the bed! Not something I have ever done before and I don't wish to experience it again!

There was no toiletries in the room and one towel for 2 of us. The bed had a blanket on it that hadn't been washed, therefore we slept with just the sheet and was woken up by the cold.

When we booked in, the reception only took for one night even though we had booked for two. So after being out all day we came back and he asked us for payment. We informed him we would be down later. Wanting a nap before dinner we got into bed and the phone was ringing away. Not being able to find the phone amongst the clutter we didn't answer. Next thing there was a knock at the door demanding the payment! We were disgusted as we were both in bed. After paying the money we asked for a receipt. We went down later on and there still wasn't a receipt even though he insisted he needed the payment for the banking. As an accounts person myself you can't put anything through the banking system without a receipt! You make your own mind up about that.

This review has only touched on our stay. I would never stay again or recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2012
10 Thank ClaireyBLiverpool

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2011

My other half and I didn't want a conventional hotel for our visit to London, so this was exactly what we wanted! We were a little disappointed with our room. After being told we were initally in Enter The Dragon, we were given Swan Lake which was very small. Having said that - what would we have done with the extra space anyway?! We had everything we wanted: clean bathroom, TV, tea/coffee, comfy bed, and we absolutely loved breakfast in bed the next morning. It was so accessible to central London. I would definately stay again, but would insist on a bigger room.

Room Tip: Ask about the size of your room before hand to avoid disappointed
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kally B
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 November 2011

If your expecting a 'Hilton' or even a 'Premier Inn' experience don't think about this hotel.
I believe this place will appeal to those with an artistic nature. Rather eccentric, quirky, the decor is definitely a talking point.
As a mature woman travelling alone I appreciated breakfast being delivered to the door as I didn't have to face a dining room full of strangers. Breakfast in bed......magic.
My room was clean, fresh towels every single day.
Situated in an area with 3 tube stations a very short walk away (couple of minutes at most). I also felt 'safe' walking back to the hotel after an evening at the theatre.
I'm not at all sure why some of the reviews are so dreadful, the staff were perfectly pleasant, the young man at reception carried my bag to the room, explaining that breakfast would be left at the door but staff wouldn't knock.
I found the breakfast more than adequate...and considering the cost for 4 nights was £235, thought it was 'cheap as chips' for central London.
Really enjoyed the 'Pavilion' experience and will most certainly visit again.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper be aware that rooms at the front are noisy so would request one towards t...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Reading
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I stayed in the "Reflections" room. It was small and not particularly comfortable, with a tiny shower-room, and a scenic view out over someone's air-conditioning system. Breakfast being plonked down outside the door instead of being served in a proper dining-room was a disappointment. Customer Care was close to zero. However, with all this said, it's hard not to warm to a hotel with such grotesquely over-the-top decor in a part of London where there are zillions of boring identikit hotels. And it is undeniably cheap. Really it depends on whether you feel that the cheapness and the insane decor compensate for the rather basic level of comfort. An experience to stay there for one night, but perhaps not for longer.

Room Tip: Have the website page with the room photos on it open at the time when you phone to book, and ask wh...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I've stayed in some pretty poor hotels in London in my time but this one really was bad, especially considering it costs £100 per night for a room the size of a small wardrobe and you have to pay an extra and scandalous 4% to pay by credit card.

From the moment we arrived everything was bad; my wife had made the booking and I arrived two hours before her as we were travelling separately but I wasn't allowed into the room until I paid up-front despite my wife making the booking with her credit-card! And with another 4% 'admin charge' on top.

The room itself, on the very top floor (with no lift or no-one offering to help with our luggage) was absolutely tiny. In fact, it was impossible to get around the bed to the bathroom with having to clamber over part of the bed. The bed was hard and lumpy with one small pillow each. The television was placed on the bedside table and angled away from the bed so it was impossible to watch. The floor was polished wood over which they had placed two small rugs which meant you slipped over constantly when standing on these rugs. The kettle could only be used by placing it on the floor as the only plug was too far away for its lead. The bathroom consisted of a toilet that broke on our first night and wouldn't flush and a small bath. There was a shower attached to the bath but no shower screen and the shower-head had to be held by hand to use it. There were no toiletries whatsoever except one minute bar of soap and for the two of us there were three towels which were really just large flannels.

The following morning breakfast was left for us outside our room; what a disappointment (although we should have expected it). The breakfast tray for two of us consisted of two small packets of Bran Flakes, just enough milk to put into two cups of coffee (not that we had any hot drinks served with our breakfast), two small glasses of orange juice, two stale croissants, and two blueberry muffs that had been seen better days. We also had two small packet-portions of blackcurrant jam but no butter, only one knife, two spoons and two cereal bowls which were really egg-cups in size. Needless to say, we left most of this and went elsewhere for breakfast

In addition, you have to leave your key when going out (meaning anyone can get into your room), you have to pay up-front before even seeing your room, and the staff are incredibly uninterested in customer service and decidedly rude.

And just to top it all off, the nearest underground stations are either Paddington (20-minutes walk away) or Marble Arch (30-minutes walk away).

This hotel is to be avoided at all costs.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple