“Peaceful pre-marathon stay”

The Nadler Kensington
Ranked #62 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed here with my partner on Saturday and was really impressed. I was running the London Marathon and wanted a place where I could prepare my own breakfast in the morning. The kitchen facility was perfect for my pre-race porridge and fruit and meant that I could eat immediately rather than having to wait in a hotel restaurant. We had a ground floor room directly behind reception and I was a bit worried about noise from other guests returning home as I needed a good nights sleep but this didn't prove to be a problem what so ever, really good soundproofing. The hotel is about 5 mins walk from Gloucester Road tube station (rather more after a 26.2 run) and allowed easy access around town. I would definately recommend Base2Stay and intend to return.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BigHilda23
There are newer reviews for The Nadler Kensington

Reviewed 22 April 2012

As a preface, I travel to a limited degree to review rock concerts, and have begun to include hotel and resort reviews as well, which I am republishing here is modified form.

This review is for base2stay Kensington in London, England during my England/France Trip (December 2011).

Room Type/Class: Superior King/Twin
Date: December 18-22, 2011
Overall Rating: 4/5

This was part of my trip to London, Paris, and Liverpool for a series of concerts, and I was staying in London for the first and last legs of my trip (the latter being 4 nights). The hotel is called the base2stay Kensington, but to me it "feels" like you are actually in Earl's Court - that is the metro station that it is closest to as well (maybe a 5 minute walk).

I selected this hotel based on my very favorable experience staying at the base2stay Liverpool a year earlier, and also because I was scheduled to see a concert at Earl's Court (though it was ultimately canceled due to health problems with the performer).

As with the Liverpool property, the Kensington can be classified as 1) newer (or at least newly renovated), 2) clean, and 3) economical.

As has been my experience with the base2stay staff at the other location, the staff at the front desk were wonderful, and helpful with directions and suggestions.

The "Superior King/Twin" class room was large by UK standards, but I would say about the same size as the "Large Double" classed room I stayed at the night before a the base2stay in Liverpool.

The room I stayed it was nicely decorated, clean, and modern in appearance. There was a fairly nice bed, desk area, and LCD TV. The bathroom is also fairly large by standards, with sink, toilet, and shower over bathtub. As I mentioned in the review for the other property, the same caveat applies here - exercise caution getting in and out of the tub/shower. It is at an usual height with nothing to grab onto, so having an accidental slip or spill is very possible.

The base2stay Kensington has decent WiFi connectivity (for UK properties).

Overall a nice stay, though I would recommend looking at routes in and out of the Earl's Court metro station to see if it is the best place to stay, based on your activities. There are more centralized places to stay in London, and there is not as much to do in and around the hotel (though there are fast food type establishments and pharmacies/convenience stores near the metro).

I would recommend it if you are doing things in and around Earl's Court and adjacent areas, but would probably recommend alternative hotels if you are visiting London and doing a lot of sightseeing - there are better areas which would serve as a better "home base" as well as offer more things to do in and around the hotel (walking distance). So for me, the biggest drawback is the location. Having said that, reading other reviews on TripAdvisor, many of the other reviewers count the location as one of the biggest positives. For me, Earl's Court is one of my least favorite metro stations - I don't like the routing as much and I found that for some reason while I was staying there (four days) there were a lot of delayed trains.

Room Tip: Be cautious getting into and out of the tub/shower.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Rock-Subculture
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here after it was recommended to us by a friend. It's in a fantastic spot in Earls Court. It's in a quiet spot yet still two seconds from the tube and lots of buzzing little restaurants. The rooms are clean and basic but perfect for a London weekend, it has all you need. It's very modern inside and good value. Friendly staff too. Would definitely stay here again. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank Fee R
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I stayed 4 nights at base2stay last week. Facility was clean, modern, quiet. Free high speed wifi and nice flat screen TV. Great location just a few hundred yards from Earls Court Tube station.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank HowieO
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Generally, the reviews for base2stay have been very positive, and I would mostly agree with them. Just to point out the things I really liked about this place:

Kitchenette: this was really nice, especially if you are staying longer than a night or two. With the large Sainsbury's grocery store just a five-minute walk away, you can stock up on food, keep it in the fridge, and the microwave makes things very nice.

Location: Yes, it's very close to Earl's Court Underground station, and to a lot of restaurants and fast-food outlets.

Staff: Very friendly reception personnel, and good housekeeping.

Free WiFi: yes, you get unlimited free WiFi. The TV is also nice.

There are, however, some "CONS" to base2stay. Having stayed there several times, I think it's only fair to point them out.

The hotel is housed in a renovated Victorian building. That means that your room might be a LONG way from the elevator. Between the two, you might have three or four "fire doors" to open and close, and there will be several small sets of steps to go up and down along the way. It's not a simple "get out of the elevator, and pull your bags down the hall to your room" here. For older people, or people with kids, or lots of bags, this can get very frustrating.

There's only one elevator, and it's not particularly quick. Again, older folks will either wait, or do a lot of walking just to get to the staircase, in some cases.

The "bijou single" rooms do have kitchenette facilities, but they are RIGHT next to the bed (less than two feet away), so it is often tricky to get into the refrigerator. It's not built for ease of use, that's certain.

The pricing structure at base2stay is confusing at best, and "bait and switch" at worst. Their web site tells you, for example, that rooms start at £49, but that doesn't prepare you for the "sticker shock", when you find out that cheapest room at the Kensington location (for the aforementioned, tiny bijou single) is £146! Per night!

The other problem that I have with base2stay is that there doesn't seem to be any consistency to their pricing scheme. The rates seem to change radically depending on day of the week, month, special events, and so on. (And no, I wasn't quoting the "Olympic Games" prices above: that's for a Monday night stay two months from now!)

When I book a hotel, I want to know about what I'm going to pay, and to know that it's usually going to be at that same price level. I frankly got tired of going to London one weekend, and paying £95, and then the next weekend I paid £117! And I booked them both on the same day!

It's a nice place, but I won't be back. I'll go to the Premier Inn just down the street: MUCH bigger room, and all the other amenities I need.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Daniel S
Sandra A, General Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Dear Daniel S, thank you for posting your positive comments as well as feedback, which is always useful.

We are naturally disappointed to hear that you may not return to base2stay Kensington for future visits and hope that our response may give you reason to change your mind. Like the vast majority of hotels, pricing fluctuates depending on the levels of demand. However, we always make sure that we remain competitive and I believe we also offer great value by including free Wi-Fi and HDTVs with a free music library, games and internet, for which other hotels often charge hefty sums. With discounts to many local restaurants and our mini-kitchens, allowing you to prepare a snack in your room or order room service, delivered by local cafes and restaurants at great discounted prices, with no added hotel charge, again showing our transparency in pricing, the great value doesn’t stop with our room rates.

We also always ensure that our pricing structure remains transparent and includes VAT and service; our mantra is “the price you pay on check-out is what you thought you’d pay when you booked”. The rates we advertise for Kensington start from £99 inc. VAT for our single bijou rooms, which increase to £146 at our busiest times, whilst base2stay Liverpool rates start at only £49 inc. VAT. The hotel group you mention, and others like it, generally advertise their lowest national rate on their websites, such as £19 per night, which will seldom, if ever, be available for their central London hotels, whilst a lot of hotels in our area will offer great deals, but which are only valid during certain times of the year.

base2stay Kensington is series of converted Edwardian townhouses and mews, and whilst its decor is clean and contemporary, and all rooms are literally flooded with lots of daylight, we have kept many traditional features, such as the wonderful staircase, and tall windows in many rooms. Our hotel offers varied views, some onto the private mews with private parking, some onto beautifully kept gardens and views of the period architecture of the buildings nearby. Some rooms even have individual courtyards and terraces, which is special and unique. The lift serves all floors and our team is always on hand to offer assistance with luggage, especially for guests with children and anyone requiring assistance. We believe that our friendly staff and the personable service we offer is what sets us aside from our competitors. Our guests generally enjoy being checked in speedily by friendly staff who can advise on the area, rather using an impersonal self-check-in, so we hope you will reconsider and stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,

Sandra Anido

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Very good accommodations. Only 2 blocks from the earls court underground station, making it a convenient and excellent jumping off point for the rest of London. Basic room was small, but extremely clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tom c
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Stayed two nights at the end of March. Close to Earl's Court tube station (supermarket, pharmacy, eateries, post office, banks). Staff were very nice, especially Aora and Marie (thank you!). Room 306 (two twin beds) was very clean, quiet, and just very nicely put together. Internet worked, water pressue/temperature were great, and having the kitchenette and refrigerator was a boon! It all added up to a very nice, comfortable "base" for our London trip! The rates are reasonable in the context of super-high-as-normal London rates. Definitely on the short list!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family