“OK hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Zephyr Cove, NV
“OK hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

Decent hotel near Earls Court Underground station. A very nice friendly staff that tries to help with all your needs. When I requested ice the front desk clerk said they didn't have machines at the hotel but he offered to go to the market a block away and buy it for me---that's service. Walkable to Kensington museums.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank luckyrioInNV

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Hotel was in a great "neighborhood" location very near the Tube. Rooms were very small, but as a frequent traveler, I can tell you this was the cleanest hotel I have ever stayed at! The staff was also always very helpful and firendly.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Island of Malta, Malta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

This was my second time at Base2Stay and had chosen it without shopping too much around on the basis of my previous stay. Its still good, excellently located 3mins walk away from Earl's Court station (on the same line to Victoria station and thus excellent for Gatwick Express). The hotel is well kept and staff very helpful. Since they don't serve breakfast they've partnered with a local cafe to bring in a breakfast pack which is not expensive at all (although I did not use it so I don't know the contents).

There were a few issues which annoyed me a little which did not happen during my first stay.

1. I booked from booking.com and took an advanced purchase offer where the price was cheaper but I had to pay up front, which was fine for me. I got charged immediately as expected but within a few hours I started receiving emails from base2stay reception that I had to submit an email with a scan of my credit card for pre-payment. I wasn't comfortable to send my credit card by email (seems they're not so security conscious) and they then suggested I send it in by Fax, in this day and age how could you expect a customer to have a fax machine?! I didn't understand why they needed the credit card given I was already charged. After a few ping-pong emails a more senior manager suddenly realised what happened and just replied saying that everything is fine and I didn't need to send anything.

2. I chose the hotel because it advertises Free Wifi. I only need this to check email, transport options, flight times or other on-the-go services, so their terms of service and fair usage policy is fine with me. Its actually fair that users needing higher bandwidth to download large files or watch online videos pay an extra fee. The problem is that the Free Wifi is not smartphone friendly and also practically unusable. Each time you go into the hotel and switch wifi on your smartphone you have to load their webportal, click on 'I accept the T&Cs' and enter a 10 digit code. Very cumbersome on a smartphone. When I used it from my netbook the service was very hit and miss. A simple google search would not come up and I would have to refresh a couple of times for the page to come up. Unless they improve this, the Free Wifi is a bit of a gimmick. Further more, the code I was given at reception expired at 1am, while check-out is till 11am. When I tried to access wifi in the morning to check flight and train times I couldn't access it because the voucher expired and had to use 3G roaming. I wonder why they made my voucher expire 10hrs before checkout, making it unavailable when I needed it most.

3. The room was quite clean with one exception. The desk and shelf behind the bed was covered with a fine layer of dust. It might be because this time I used a single room which is not used that commonly and the cleaners missed it, but it was still a bit frustrating.

4. The smart entertainment system or whatever it is called is complicated and unintuitive. When you switch on the TV you just see 'No signal' for 2 minutes without any indication what to do. The system then wakes up and a list of options are displayed. During evenings I simply zap through channels for something interesting, but the way this works is it displays this annoying box covering 2/3rds of the screen telling you that the channel is 'CBBC' and stays there for 5 seconds... only to discover nothing interesting is on the channel and changing again to wait for another 5 seconds. Not the hotel's fault obviously, but given that the hotel installed this to provide a superior service its funny how things sometimes backfire.

5. The shower module is quite impressive, with electronic controls and flashing LEDs. The problem is that when you're having a shower the LEDs suddenly flash for half a second and a dash of cold water comes out... and it seems to do this repetitively every minute or so. It happened to me each time I used the shower... another example of overdoing things with too much technology?

Other than these things the hotel is still quite good and the location and price still makes it a top choice. If the hotel gives some attention to the above issues I would be happy to give a 5/5 again here for my next stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the room near the lift if possible. The lift makes an annoying sound of a bell each time it st...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank jbx1
Sandra A, General Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, 8 May 2012
Dear jbx1, thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you experienced a few issues this time for which I would like to offer you our apologies. I am also sorry I did not have a chance to meet you during your stay to go over these with you in person. I very much value and appreciate any feedback and myself and the team are always at our guests’ disposal should any issues arise during a stay, so that we can make any necessary amends.

When guests book our advanced purchase offer through our website or direct with the hotel it is normal practice to request a scan of the credit card, however this is not required for our online partners such as booking.com. This email was send by mistake as was realized shortly after and I am sorry that this occurred. Rest assured however that our hotel is fully Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliant and all credit card information and personal data is secure. Whilst communication nowadays is mostly electronic, our fax-machine still has some life in it and does get used on a daily basis!

We are looking into the issues you have had with the Wi-Fi and the smart entertainment system, as these shouldn’t be occurring so thank you for drawing them to our attention. We have rectified the water pressure and temperature fluctuations in your shower, which was due to a faulty valve in our water tank. We usually pride ourselves on excellent standards of cleanliness and I can only offer you my apologies that this was not the case in your particular room. It is unacceptable and we are increasing daily inspections of the entire hotel to ensure the standards we expect from ourselves are met. For future reference, I have noted that you would prefer rooms as far away as possible from our lift and I also assure you the necessary action has been taken to avoid any re-occurrences of any of the issues you have mentioned.

Again, I am sorry that your second stay wasn’t as smooth as your first but look forward to welcoming you back in the hopefully not too distant future. Please do contact me direct when you are planning your next visit to base2stay Kensington so I may take personal care of your reservation.

Kindest regards,
Lugano, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

No breakfast but good servicesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ;-)

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Alex726
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

The room was clean and in good condition. A good experience, and definitly not tha last time that we will stay at base2stay

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Johnny N
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012 via mobile

I stayed at the base2stay for 5 nights and was impressed with the small kitchen in the room, the interior and the equipment in the room. It had all that I needed. The room 501 is very good, but the shower doesn't work properly. It turns off the hot water when someone else is having a shower. The shower does also have low pressure.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Bildus
Sandra A, General Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear Bildus,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you had a great stay with us recently and that you enjoyed the facilities which base2stay offers.

We are very sorry to hear you experienced temperature and water pressure issues with your shower during your visit. We did receive another call regarding the same issue on the top floor and we immediately investigated and rectified the problem, which was a broken valve in our water tank. Please do accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience this has caused you. We do encourage our guests to report any issues or problems immediately during their stay in order for us to resolve them right away so as to minimise any further inconvenience.

Again thank you very much for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Best regards,
Mandalay, Myanmar
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

I wasn't expecting a serviced apartment at all. However, I chose this hotel because the website makes a point of stressing the mini kitchens that are available in each room, which appealed to me, as I am on a restricted diet. However, our room was very small, and there was nowhere to eat, so sadly, I was not able to avail of this facility, and I suppose I wondered why they have them if one can't really use them.
We approached the staff to let them know that this place wasn't for us, and that we wanted to leave. However, rather than ask us what the problem was, or even appear concerned that we were disappointed, they immediately told us we would have to pay the full fee, and mentioned that this wasn't a serviced apartment, and proceeded to go to their website to show us. I found this reaction odd - a little too rehearsed. It made me feel that we were not the first people to have this problem. I later overheard two of the staff members making negative remarks about me.
The rooms were clean, and free wifi was a good bonus.
There are hotels in this neighbourhood (Earl's Court) which have better facilities for much less money.
I appreciate that they are running a business - and businesses are there to make a profit, but they really did seem at all concerned that we were unhappy with our stay. And that for me, is not good service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Sefina
Sandra A, General Manager at The Nadler Kensington, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Sefina,

Thank you for your comments as well as feedback, which is always useful. I would first of all like to apologise for the service you received as this is something that base2stay prides itself on, and we clearly let both you and ourselves down on this occasion, for which I am sorry. I would like to take this opportunity to explain that, as advertised and mentioned by you, the mini kitchen is just that - it’s mini, with a microwave (no grill for fire precautions), fridge, kettle, crockery and cutlery, as shown in our photo gallery, whilst our Deluxe rooms also have Nespresso machines. The desk table provides somewhere to eat, but this is a facility rather than a full kitchen diner.

I am pleased you enjoyed our free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. With 24/7 front desk concierge service, and free music, games, internet and an interactive directory on our HDTV, as well as exclusive discounts at many surrounding restaurants and cafes, we believe we offer not only great value but a socially sustainable concept based around Eat Local, Buy Local and See Local, as we encourage our guests to use local businesses, facilities and service providers. so acting as a local economic multiplier. We hope therefore that you stay with us again in the not too distant future.

Kind regards,