“Great alternative to London central hotels”
Review of The Alma Hotel

The Alma Hotel
Ranked #16 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Isle of Man
“Great alternative to London central hotels”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Chose this as had great rating on Booking.com and sounded an interesting alternative for a hotel needed for stopover between Gatwick and Heathrow.

Location, whilst not in central London is great - very easy to get to from gatwick with a quick change at Clapham Junction - quicker than getting to a central London hotel. And only about £25 from Heathrow in taxi.

I won't reiterate what others have said, other than to add that first room offered was by kitchen fans and very noisy, second overlooked internal courtyard and was quiet and spot on. Toiletries, tea coffe etc top notch, and bed very comfortable.

Bar was too busy to drink / eat in comfortably in evening so went into London - local options are out there but limited. It's only 20 mins to Oxford Circus (changing at Vauxhall to tube) and much easier to negotiate than expected. The windmill pub does great pies in Mayfair and a short walk from Oxford Circus in Mill Street - may need a map to find.

Breakfast good and staff very personable.

Great option as alternative to usual London hotels and will use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room overlooking courtyard. Outside rooms may have more to look at but noisier.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ManxQueenies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Polish first
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 November 2011

I used to drink and eat regularly in The Alma when I lived in SW London and always enjoyed it. I wasn't convinced when I heard that they'd converted the old metal works out the back into a hotel though. However, on a recent overnight stay in town, my wife booked a room and what a surprise! Beautifully styled and presented, fair size rooms with decent bathrooms, smiling and helpful staff, excellent breakfasts. A real treat. Especially at the very reasonable rate. We'll definitely be staying again. It was great to be back!.

Room Tip: Room 17 was excellent
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TheRichens2
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We reserved a family room (2 x 2 bedrooms) for a family event. There were several of our families staying. On arrival the 'ever so helpful' Beatrice giggled when we announced ourselves and said ' ohhhh I've cancelled your rooms'.....
We thought she was joking - but No.
After 30 minutes of an extremely stressful situation not knowing if we had a room for our family - and we had travelled from overseas too. (all our rooms had been reserved with a credit card for the group booking) we also found out that other members of our group had their rooms cancelled too as Beatrice did not put the credit card across all the reservation.
Beatice was not in any way bothered that she had ruined was was supposed to be a lovely start to a wonderful weekend. She never apologised - just kept saying we should have reconfirmed AGAIN 24 hours before arrival - even though we had the confirmation from the Alma of the booking !!
When we suggested that maybe telephoning us to see if all was ok before cancelling a booking for people - she said she did not have to do this - she could cancel the room if she wanted and she could resell it if she chose to.
The rooms were nice although the handle to door from the corridor kept falling off so you had to be really careful opening the door all the time, There was also an exit door that maids could access through what should be the privacy area between the 2 bedrooms. TV only had a few stations pretty crap really. Also as the family suite: you are 'billeted' to a disabled room - so the bathroom was pretty 'functional' and did not feel luxurious (actually the toilet was so high up my feet did not reach the floor!) Our children had a much nicer bathroom than us and it was also on the quieter side of the building with a little courtyard - although beware there is lots of stingy nettles in the garden and my little one got stung..
We ate several times in the restaurant - generally good -- but we were not impressed with the breakfast, was pretty poor standard. Chef and one of the waiters seemed to be having some type of feud going on and we were in the midst of it all......
Overall nice hotel / pub /bar but it was totally ruined by Reception Services - book but only if you are prepared to triple check your booking will be still there,,,,

Room Tip: not the ones facing the street.....
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank sunandsleep
Reviewed 21 November 2011

a great experience in every way. atmospheric old style bar. delightful homely restaurant, beautifully appointed bedrooms, really friendly staff.
My favorite London destination

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank laurencemitchell
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Really fabulous rooms on the top floor and one of the nicest bathrooms I have ever had in a hotel and a great breakfast.

Room Tip: There was no mirror in Room 22 except in the bathroom and so nowhere to blow dry your hair. I hav...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Caroline W
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I hate to be a solo kill joy for this place. It did have wonderful decor and a great staff. However, the only way I would return to this place is solo. I am completely baffled by the situation of the bathroom, which has a toilet approximately 3 feet from the bed. with a glass door. through which you can see shadows. to top off the uncomfortable nature of answering nature's call, the bathroom does not have a fan for either privacy or for reducing the muggy, dankness from whatever goes on in a bathroom. A man must have designed it. I had to stand on my tippy toes to use the bathroom mirror, and the lighting was such that I then had to use my own mirror, using one hand (no counters) to apply makeup as the lighting is a single blazing halogen light, well behind the subject standing before the mirror. PHEW. But, it was quiet. But GOOD GOD people. Change the freeking doors so that they are maybe a little bit sound proof. and light proof --yes, if getting up in the middle of the night, turning on the bathroom light, causes the entire hotel room to light up because of the glass door. otherwise, loved it.

Room Tip: all rooms are set up with the stupid glass doors with the toilet 3 feet from the bed. we switched r...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank E H
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed at the Alma to attend a family event nearby, and a number of us were staying there. We used to live just around the corner, so it was great to be back in an area we love and know well.

We booked the 2 bedroom garden suite, and whilst the rooms are very nice, new, comfortable, it should be pointed out that the passage between the 2 bedrooms is used by housekeeping to access their store cupboard, so they are in and out the whole time and there is no privacy..I was caught fair and square with barely a thing covering me one morning as they just marched on through! And the door handle fell off so we kept getting stuck outside our own so called private area!

That's my lasting memory of this new hotel to be honest, which has had so much praise in the press I felt I needed to review it here. I also asked if I could have a late check out for just one room to leave at 2pm for a long international flight, something a hotel would normally agree to if they had space. They wanted to charge me 70 quid as they said they might still sell the room. Tosh. So I sat in the bar and had lunch instead, while the hotel was clearly very empty still. Not the kind of service you would expect.

The bar remains gorgeous, and the food there a treat, it's still one of my favourite pubs in London. So I guess if you are just looking for a comfy room in a nice place it fits the bill, just don't ask for anything more service wise.

There was a very good lady on reception though I must say, very helpful indeed. Bizarre as they had a sign outside advertising for an excellent new receptionist they needed! Hope they don't replace the best person they have at the hotel.

Convenient yes, service from management and guest privacy needs a wake up call.

• Stayed August 2011