“A wonderful Hotel despite renovations just outside and a Security system that can drive you Nuts!!”

Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel
Ranked #149 of 1,067 Hotels in London
jerusalem
Reviewed 24 February 2012

This Hotel is as good as it gets!!. My Wife and myself just returned from 8 lovely nights at the Radison on Leister Square. The location was perfect since we were going to the theater every night and the half price ticket booth was just outside the entrtance of the Hotel. We were upgraded to a mini suite on the 6th floor and though there was serious renovatiuon going on in the square, we could not hear the noise. The entire staff, the front desk, the managers, everyone was polite, helpful and delightful. We even received complimentary achohot beverages at the lovely bar during our entire stay. Only one suggestion. They have to clear up their security system. At present each visitor gets a card that they have to put into a slot in the elevator. It is only when the slot turns green that one is able to proceed to their floor. It sounds simple enough, but everyon I saw, myself included, had to put the card in 3-10 times before the light turns from Red to Green. The simple act of riding in an elevator becomes an agravating chore.
Then to open the door to your room, you have to go through the same proceedure all over again. Green light , red light.
But hey, this is a good team at this Hotel. I'm sure they will solve this problem. All in all it was wonderful, and because we payed up front before we got there, we received a very nice discount.

Room Tip: The outside renovations because of the upcoming London Olympics, are quite loud. Ask for a room hig...
3 Thank Jerrrrrala
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear Irith

Our Very Best wishes from the Radisson Edwardian Hampshire Hotel team. I am very grateful for your feedback following your stay.

You may read from other replies to reviews that the Square is almost at its official re-launch date, this is a very exciting time for the Square and local business’ all of who are very eager to see the new Leicester Square opened at last. To coinside with this landmark relaunch a vision fit for an amazing world class landmark is underway to assist in it’s governance and positioning for the next 5-10 years.

I have read with interest your feedback about our key card system at the Hampshire Hotel. I would imagine the matter could easily be resolved with battery replacements by the sounds of it. We will be keeping an eye on these as a green light is the correct light which should be displayed. Thank you again for alerting me to this matter.

Michael Cheung

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (460)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Well it was brownie points all round, loads for me, and loads for the staff at the Hampshire, they could not do enough for us!! - BEST afternoon tea we have ever had, spot on! and can not wait to svae those pennies up and go back!

Dear Reviewer

It is so nice to hear that you both had a great stay here at the Hotel and thank you for sharing your experience with us. I am really pleased to see you enjoyed afternoon tea with us and really delighted that the team here looked after you so well.

Did you know that we have just launched the Rose Afternoon Tea just in time for Mothering Sunday. This tea is a timeless tradition with a twist, a beautiful tea time treat of delicious scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam, delicate finger sandwiches, irresistible mini-cakes and rose fruit jelly all served with a rich, aromatic rose hip tea. Add a glass of Mercier rosé champagne for the ultimate in afternoon indulgence - perfect for spending quality time with Mum. I tried it myself recently, really fabulous!

Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We had a great weekend at the Hampshire. We did the classic weekend in London, west end musical and a night in a hotel. This isn't something we can afford to do regularly so we were really hoping to get a decent hotel. We weren't Dissapointed! Honestly we were treated like royalty! Nothing was too much trouble. It's the way customer service and concierge should be. like I said it's not cheap hence the average score on price but it's central London and you DO get what you pay for!

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Reviewer

Our Concierge team are especially grateful for your kind comments, feel free to call Alex or Daniel for any suggestions even you are planning a day trip to our wonderful city.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I recently stayed at the Radisson Edwardian in Leicester Square with two teenage children. The suite was very spacious - and the bathroom great. The hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating. Best of all, we were in easy walking distance of the museums we visited (the Royal Academy of Art, the National Portrait Gallery, and further but manageable, the Tate Modern). We also walked to Convent Gardens and the show we attended. The only slight downside was the construction going on in front of the hotel - but to be fair there seemed to be construction going on in many places. The construction didn't have much of an effect once we were inside the hotel - it was vey quiet. When the new Leicester Square is done it will certainly be even better.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Virginia O

It is so nice to hear that you and your children had a wonderful stay here at the Hotel and thank you for sharing this experience.

Of course the next major exhibition at the Gallery will be the Turner Exhibition commencing in mid March which promises to be a great draw as did the Leonardo Exhibition. What better way to spend the day, an afternoon tea at the Hampshire and then a stroll to the Gallery for an afternoon of Turner Inspired: In the light of Claude.

Virginia, Thanks again for your feedback and I am looking forward to seeing you soon. Please feel free to contact me at any stage should I be able to assist you with your plans on direct line 020 7451 0220.

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Having enjoyed Radisson short breaks before I searched for one so we could enjoy a theatre break for a 36yrs wedding anniversary.' The Hampshire' provided everything we've come to expect. A professional but warm welcome, well presented and comfortable room and lovely food for a special celebratery dinner, then BIG breakfast after a great nights sleep. The option of a smoking room was appreciated. How nice not having to go out to the 'naughty step'!. Wandering through the snow on the Sunday morning we realised what a great location the hotel was in! We took in a few of the sights and look forward to returning again to explore somemore and enjoy the hospitality of a lovely hotel. The work being done in Leicester Square did'nt bother us, be nice to see what they've done when we come back!

Room Tip: higher floors for a view.
Dear Sandra B

Delighted to read that you have enjoyed your short stay at the Hotel and belated happy anniversary, you will have to return for your 37th!

Yes we do have 5 smoking bedrooms and 1 smoking suite located in a separate area on one floor; these are really popular with some regular guests. I am pleased to see that you did not have to move to the “naughty step” as you indicate!

If you did not have the opportunity to explore the local area, I would definitely suggest a return visit; my top tips a stroll around the Mall, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square, Chinatown, Covent Garden and South Bank all are within walking distance.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I stayed here recently for one night, as a treat for myself and my partner for a birthday evening out. We wanted to do dinner, theatre then drinks. This was the perfect base to do this.

We stayed at the hotel on a Friday night, in a deluxe room, which was lovely (308, overlooking Leicester Square, aka building site). Very close to tube stations, spitting distance to Covent Garden, Travalgar Square etc. The hotel was perfect, very friendly staff, the room was spotless, and very very warm (we stayed during the icy spell on 10th Feb which I think was about -5 outside) so very nice to come back back to a toasty room. Bed was very comfortable, bathroom spacious enough for our needs. We did not use any of the amenities so cannot comment on the restaurant or bar.

Do not let the renovations to the square put you off staying here, as the location is so good. Our room was on the third floor, and I can't say that the noise from revellers outside disturbed us at all. I imagine staying on a weeknight, that the buildings works may disturb you, but this was not an issue for us. Curtains are big thick curtains, so the night lights over the building works won't disturb you.

All in all, this is a great hotel, and I will definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Facing Leicester Square, even during the building works. Always good to people watch!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
MCheungREH, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Hampshire Hotel, responded to this review, 3 March 2012
Dear Briony

It is somewhat refreshing to see that overall you have had a great stay. The Square itself is fast approaching it’s first official launch date which is really exciting for all the business’ around the square who are eager to re-establish that wonderful alfresco feel which Leicester Square is well known for during Spring and Summer.

Your pictures are very interesting as it is almost possible to see the shape and layout to a unique and original white granite ribbon seating design which will surround the Square once completed, this design will also features contemporary plants and new bronze railings and gates. Thank you for your kind feedback concerning the bedroom is which you stayed.

Michael Cheung

PS: I have printed the wonderful paradise picture you have selected for your identity and enlarged it and put it on the corkboard near my desk!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed here with my wife for a night out to enjoy a theatre performance of The Ladykillers at the Gielgud Theatre in Shaftesbury Avenue.
On arrival received a warm greeting from the staff in reception. I was offered an upgrade from my Deluxe Double to a Junior Suite which I accepted but only on the terms that I could inspect the room and I could have a room on a high flloor away from street level.
Currently Leicester Square, which the hotel overlooks, is undergoing some major renovation which is due to complete in April 2012. There are lighting generators running during the night, but with occupancy of a high floor and the good double glazing, any noise is barely audible.
The high floor level - I choose the 6th floor - gives great views across the rooftops.
The Junior Suite I had chosen was very spacious and clean. If I had to be picky, the low energy lightbulbs in the wall lamps either side of the bed just don't look good sticking above the tops of the lampshades. The nightlight lamp needs a lamp cover, the bare bulb is too fierce to be able to sleep with it on and the mattress just didn't seem to fit the bed frame, the frame was too big for the mattress which exposed the boarding under the mattress.
We enjoyed an early evening meal in the restaurant but had to send back the roasted vegetables as they were barely warm - otherwise the meal was very good.
This hotel enjoys a top position for exploring Museums - especially the National Portrait Gallery, it is very close to other sites such as Trafalgar Square, Chinatown, Covent Garden, and all the theatres in Shaftesbury Avenue, not forgetting the cinemas around Leicester Square itself. Other locations, such as Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, Big Ben and the River Thames are about 15 to 20 minute walk away.
Breakfast in the morning was very good and checkout was painless.

Room Tip: Rooms at the top of the hotel are quieter if they are overlooking Leicester Square which is having a...
1 Thank Ashforth01
Dear Reviewer

We did experience some minor problems with a lighting generator left switched on over night due to errors by the company responsible for the construction of the Square, however, the number of such incidents could be counted on one hand and thankfully for the most part swiftly resolved. Views from the sixth floor are really great on both sides of the building, London’s entertainment district to one side and London’s diplomatic quarter to the other side.

I am exceptionally grateful for your feedback regarding the bedside lamp and bed base. We do have plans to introduce an extra reading light with a suitable level of light so your point is really well made. We are looking at the bed base in the Junior Suite in which you stayed.