“Great for single traveller”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed here in June of 2011 so I'm a bit late with this review, however I wanted to share my great experience. I booked a single room which was pretty pricey but I wanted to treat myself.. mission accomplished! The room was small, but I expected that. Even with somewhat cramped quarters I was totally comfortable and happy. Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Megsboston
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us in June. I was pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable and comfortable stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that you will be returning to The Montague in future.

Dirk Crokaert

Write a ReviewReviews (4,327)

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We have recently returned from a three night stay at The Montague and once again we were very impressed with the level of service and high standards provided by this Red Carnation hotel. We are big fans of this group and usually stay at The Chesterfield but decided to give The Montague a try for a change. It was a lovely hotel and very similar to The Chesterfield in decor and facilities. We liked the extra seating areas provided in The Montague, a small lounge and two conservatories as well as a lively and cheerful bar. The Chesterfield would benefit from extra social space and in summer The Montague will also gain from having outdoor terraces to sit on. The cigar terrace looked wonderful, I was sorry I did not smoke cigars! Once again the staff are the stars, they were very attentive and so friendly, and greatly add to the relaxed and un-stuffy atmosphere. Rooms are once again small but wonderfully equipped and provide the best beds and bedding in London. A quiet environment even if you overlook the street so a great nights sleep. The food was excellent although I have to say I think the dining room and breakfast at the Chesterfield takes some beating, (I missed my porridge with whisky). The bar provided lovely snacks throughout the day and afternnon tea was delightful and very filling!!! If you are choosing between The Chesterfield or The Montague I think it will be on location only. The Montague is within walking distance of the theatres and the area provides a wide range of places to eat and some wonderful old English pubs. The Chesterfield gives wonderful access to the parks of London and the top shopping areas of Bond Street and Regents Street but access to eateries is more limited unless ou have the money for the top restaurants of Mayfair. We love The Montague and will definitely return, we may just have to take it in turn with The Chesterfield. Thanks to all for making our stay special.
Our only problem was the piano singer was a bit too loud in the bar at night, difficult to talk, needs to turn it down a little.

Room Tip: all rooms are good but the more you pay the more space you get.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments on your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel.

As a patron of Red Carnation Hotels I was pleased to hear that The Montague did not fail to deliver. I was especially delighted to hear that you found the hospitality provided by our staff made a real difference.

Thank you for your feedback regarding the evening pianist which I will address accordingly.

It was an absolute pleasure looking after you and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 7 February 2012

We stayed here as part of a birthday celebration and only selected it on the basis of having stayed in other Carnation group hotels before. The Montague was perfect in every way from the very warm welcome extended to us by the door staff to the maids and cleaners we would cross paths with during our stay. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, but it gave us the opportunity to relax after our journey with a cup of tea in the conservatory. We were then taken on a brief tour which might sound horrific, but it was really more of an introduction to a 'home away from home' with the member of staff providing advice on how to use the facilities.

It is a little gem of a place, and on that point, it must be said that our room was surprisingly small. I am not sure if this simply the (bad) luck of the draw or if we really needed to have upgraded to a suite to have a little bit more elbow room. Either way, it was fortunate that we were easily drawn from our room by the welcoming distraction of the bar; outdoor cigar room; conservatory and lounge area.

The attention to detail added to the experience. We returned to our room one evening to a box of homemade pastries welcoming us to the hotel. On another night, the classic mint was left on the pillows. Afternoon tea in the conservatory was also very civilised, yet relaxed. A request for a top up was promptly and generously responded to. Nothing was too much trouble,

The location is also pretty good as not only was the easy access to tube and bus routes, the park provides a wonderful haven to enjoy nature in the middle of the city and to have an albeit short but romantic meander or two!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hospitality and service that was provided during your recent stay at The Montague and I was pleased to hear that we made your birthday celebration an occasion to remember.

Being an older style Georgian townhouse property we have a wide selection of styles, shapes and sizes of accommodation with each room being unique. I was really very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations with regards to the size of the room that was allocated to you.

Please accept my apologies for the disappointment this would have caused.

I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

I would like to thank your organisation for
our wonderful stay in your hotel. From the moment we arrived we felt so
welcome and the attention we received was second to none. Our room was
not ready when we arrived so we had lunch in your beautiful bar. The
food was nice but there was a problem with the cooking of the meat. When
this was pointed out we received a complimentary drink which I thought
was a lovely touch. My thanks to Mario the manager who couldn't do
enough for us and a big thank you to Luis the bartender who made my 83
year old mother feel like she was a young woman again. Both Mario and
Luis were attentive and made our stay that even more enjoyable. I will
be back to the Montage very soon with my daughter, and would recommend
the Montague to friends . Great Hotel and great staff.

Kind regards

Aideen Cruise.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay at The Montague on the Gardens Hotel. First of all I would like to apologise for the issue with your meal however I was happy to read that my team dealt with the matter to your satisfaction.

I was delighted that Mario and Luis made your stay memorable and I will ensure that their service is duly recognised.

Thank you for recommending The Montague to your friends and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I took my mum for her 50th birthday for her first visit to London. This hotel made the stay amazing. I contacted them before we came and they had the room all set up with chocolates and wine. Would Deffinitey book this hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2011
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I am delighted to hear that we were able to make your mother’s 50th birthday an occasion to remember and I am pleased to hear that you will consider staying with us again in future.

Reviewed 5 February 2012

My husband chose The Montague for a birthday celebration. When we arrived we were given a short conducted tour of the public rooms by Paul. These rooms are beautifully furnished, offering comfortable spaces to rest and relax. Check in was efficient but the staff had time to chat about our plans and to take an interest in what we were doing. Assistance was offered with booking theatres and arranging transport. Paul, who ensured our luggage was safely delivered to our room, provided us with invaluable information about our stay. Our room was well decorated and beautifully clean. The bathroom was spotless, with a great selection of
toiletries. Breakfast provided a great variety of hot and cold food with excellent service from the
attentive staff. Afternoon Tea was a lovely treat, again with outstanding levels of service. The
hotel is in a great location, being on a quiet street within easy walking distance of theatres and
restaurants. It is also on a bus route. Staying at The Montague was a special experience. It is
like taking a trip into the past but with every modern convenience on offer. We will certainly
return for our next trip to London.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mo C

Dear Guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your comments following your recent stay with us.

I was pleased that we were able to make your birthday celebration an occasion to remember.

I was delighted to hear that you found the service to be excellent in all areas and in particular, Paul who provided you with some valuable information regarding your stay. I will ensure that his service is duly recognised.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your return trip to London.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed at this hotel for our usual winter theatre break and were delighted with our choice- the service is excellent, the staff friendly and helpful and the rooms are most adequate and spotlessly clean. Also the position is so good - within yards of the theatres and easy access by tube or bus to the rest of west end. It's in a quiet safe area and just across the road from one of the world's best museums. To be highly recommended all round. The manager is to be congratulated on running such a fine hotel and we would not hesitate in recommending it to our friends.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your nice comments on your recent stay at The Montague. I was pleased to hear that you found the service to be excellent and the staff to be friendly and helpful.

I would like to thank you for recommending us to your friends and I do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.