“A real gem!”

The Montague on The Gardens
Ranked #10 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 27 February 2012

I chose this hotel as part of a package that included West End theatre tickets. It was to be a birthday treat for my girlfriend and the plan was to surprise her with a marriage proposal. I contacted the hotel in advance and advised them of my plans - I needed everything to be perfect. From the moment we arrived the staff could not have been better. We were upgraded to a king deluxe room which was simply stunning. Five minutes after checking in there was a knock on the door from a member of staff bearing gifts of personalised chocolates, homemade biscuits and a balloon! We went along to watch The Lion King at the Lyceum Theatre that evening, a superb show that i would highly recommend, and then dined at a Covent Garden restaurant. Upon our return to the room we found that (by prior arrangement) our room had been romantically turned down, with rose petals on the bed and tea lights floating in the bath. It was the perfect moment and setting for the big question. In the morning the staff made a real fuss of us when we went down for breakfast and gave us a complimentary glass of champagne to toast our engagement. Breakfast itself was superb, served in the Blue Door Bistro. Checkout was at noon but we were able to leave our luggage at the hotel whilst we spent another day taking in the sights. We collected our luggage at 4pm.
The hotel enjoys a very pleasant location on a quiet street yet within easy walking distance of Russell Square and Holborn Tube Stations. The hotel ended up being the star attraction of the trip. The staff could not have done more for us. It was truly memorable. It's simple, you will not be disappointed if you stay here.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear overlook the gardens - very pleasant and quiet
1  Thank Matt W
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague.

I am delighted to read that we helped to make your very special stay with us a truly memorable experience.

May I take this opportunity to congratulate you both once again, from all of us at The Montague and do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in future.

There are newer reviews for The Montague on The Gardens

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I just returned from a four night stay at the Montague and want to add my voice to the chorus of other reviewers singing its praises. I had a lovely single room which, whilst small, had terrific amenities, and I was simply charmed by the hotel's warmth, decor and sense of history.

I enjoyed a divine cream tea in the lobby and a very nice meal at the Blue Door Bistro (the hotel restaurant), and also splurged for breakfast in my room. The service was wonderful accross the board.

The staff couldn't be nicer, as so many other reviewers have noted.

In short, if you want a memorable hotel experience in London, look no further!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely feedback following your recent stay at The Montague.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the amenities , the decor and the food that you had in our restaurant and that you found the service throughout the hotel to be wonderful. It is always pleasing to read such positive feedback from our guests and I shall ensure that the service provided by the staff is duly recognised.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

An excellent place to stay. Great rooms and excellent service from the staff. Highly recommended.

1  Thank KayeGee
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments on your recnt stay with us and I was delighted to hear that you found the service to be excellent.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

We arrived very early morning and our reserved room wasnt ready. For an additional fee we were able to check into a slightly bigger room (Smooth move) Room was quite pleasant and beautifully decorated with great bathroom. We took the tube on the Picadilly Line from terminal 3 Heathrow to Russell Square. Since we only had carry ons it was no trouble at all and faster than a bus or taxi. Had only one day before we went onto India so enjoyed the nearby British Museum and city walks. Luckily we had clear weather. Very nice value , would return to this hotel. NB: Crazy to eat here esp breakfast; there are tons of great places within easy walking distance all around the area.

1  Thank SigneEastfordCt

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Montague and I was pleased that you enjoyed the hotel.

I am delighted to hear that you will be returning to the hotel in future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

From the first moment that we entered the lobby, the staff could not have been more polite, friendly and helpful. I stayed with my wife and two boys aged 8 and 11 to "show them the sights" for a few nights over February half term. The manner in which the staff went out of their way to interact with the boys and make them feel special was a delight. The Montague is a gem of a hotel in the heart of Bloomsbury, an area which itself has plenty to offer, as well as being located only a short stroll from the heart of the West End. We could not fault the quality of our rooms or the superb breakfast offerings, while all the communal areas of the hotel have a special ambience, especially the bar area. We found that once settled into a comfy leather settee enjoying a second drink listening to a high quality singer/pianist, it became increasingly hard to leave! Our experience was summed up by the fact that when we checked out on our final morning to visit the British Museum 500 yards down the road, the doorman kindly offered to meet us outside the museum with our cases once we had finished our tour. Need I say more !

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Stuart P
MontagueLondon, General Manager at The Montague on The Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2012

Dear Guest

I was absolutely delighted to hear that you and your family had a memorable stay with us and that you found the service to be outstanding.

It was a pleasure looking after you and I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2012

Didn't stay at the hotel but attended for a party. We were initially in a room with a good outdoor space available and were provided with drink and some very nice food, which was provided by helpful and friendly staff. We were then shown to a downstairs room for music and dancing which was easily large enough for a good party. The only gripe would be the limited selection of drinks available from the small bar but overall an excellent venue for a party in central London.

Room Tip: Didn't stay at the hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to the hotel. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that you found the staff to be friendly.

Thank you for your comments regarding the drink selection available in our banqueting suite.
Whilst we only have a limited selection on display in this area we have a wide range of drinks on sale from our main bar and I was sorry to hear that you were not informed about this.

Reviewed 17 February 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay. Cannot fault the service or the cleanliness of the rooms. All the staff made you felt really welcome - nothing was too much trouble. The concierge staff and dining room staff remembered who we were after just one encounter - little things make the difference. We were out in the evenings but came back to a refreshed room with clean towels fresh bottled water etc. The bed was large and comfortable - each room must be unique as on entering ours the bathroom was on the right and the wardrobe on the left then you went downstairs to the main part of the bedroom - very different and lovely. It was my birthday and a lovely plate of chocolates arrived with a balloon and a handwritten note. Only ate breakfast in the hotel but ot was really lovely. My only criticism....for some reason there were no drawers in our room that we could put clothes in just a desk and a wardrobe!

1  Thank Withers

Dear Guest

Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay at The Montague. I was delighted to hear that you had a memorable birthday celebration with us and that you especially enjoyed the service and the treats provided.

Thank you for your comments regarding the lack of drawer space which I will certainly look into.

It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in future.