“Nice but I don't think it is 5*” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Westbury Mayfair

Westbury Mayfair
Ranked #409 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Nice but I don't think it is 5*”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed here for 1 night on a special offer through Travelzoo. The room was nicely decorated and furnished but was cramped. Likewise, the bathroom was good standard with nice Molton Brown toiletries but was also pretty small. The main complaint would be the lack of tea and coffee making facilities. You could order through room service but then it was chargeable. I've rated this as Average because I think if you were paying 5* prices and expecting 5* luxury you would be disappointed. However if, like us, you were paying only a small amount more than you would for a budget hotel then it was worth it.

Room Tip: If you do not have breakfast included in your price there are some excellent cafes along Lansdowne R...
Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
TheWestbury, General Manager at Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you providing us with useful feedback as we are always striving to improve our services to our guests. I am glad to hear you were offered a value rate for your stay with us and that it was an overall pleasant experience. I apologise you felt that the lack of in-room coffee/tea facilities did not meet your value-for-money expectations, however, as we wish to maintain a high standard at our hotel we serve only the highest quality teas and coffees available from our room-service and Polo Bar. If however, the guest wishes to have these services available in their room, this can be arranged through room service, who replenish the contents daily. I hope to have you stay with us again on your next visit to London.

Zeljko Stasevic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Nuneaton, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

We booked the Westbury through a deal on the net.
Arrived early but room available. Staff helpful & courteous.
The room we were allocated was comfortable & clean although not overly spacious – 5 star
description would be pushing it.
No tea of coffee making facilities in the room. Available by room service only which we found
unusual for such an establishment.
Excellent location for shopping & nights out. We walked to our West End theatre for an evening show. Old Compton St on a Saturday night – buzzing!
Menu style breakfast was included in our deal but otherwise seriously overpriced at £25.00.
Lots of places locally serve breakfast at less than half the price.
In conclusion, believe we got good value for our package deal and obviously didn’t get a top room for what we paid however I would not class it as uber-luxurious as some other 5 stars we have visited.
We would certainly return on a similar deal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Westbury Mayfair as your London accommodation, I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our ideal location in the heart of Mayfair, surrounded my the top fashion houses and some of the city’s best restaurants. I am sorry to hear you were disappointed that there were no in-room tea/coffee facilities upon your arrival, however, these can be provided upon request or, our guests can enjoy the finest quality beverages at our Polo Bar or ordering them through room-service. In regards to the room-size complaint, unfortunately, for London, and in particular Mayfair, these are the standard room sizes. Moreover, if pre-booked, our Full English breakfast is offered to guests at £15 pp. Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I have made note of all the named issues and hope you choose to stay with us again on your next visit to our great city.

Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I booked this hotel as a special treat for my husband's 40th birthday and had phoned in advance to inform the hotel of the special occasion. We arrived a little early for check-in, but the member of staff who dealt with us was aware of the occasion and upgraded us to a room with a kingsize bed and beautiful refurbished bathroom without prompting. We also received a complimentary fruit plate, water and chocolates. Little touches I know, but definitely appreciated. The bar was very nice but quite expensive prices. The breakfast was excellent and the service exemplary throughout our stay. The central location makes for a great stay in London if you like walking around the tourist areas and browsing the shops, and there are plenty great restaurants in walking distance too. I probably would not book this hotel without a discounted rate, but we felt for the price we paid it was fantastic value and made the occasion very special.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

We have stayed in the Westbury many times, but have never reviewed it. We were there for four days on business and a little personal time, we asked for an upgrade ( got to try !! ), told that hotel was full but receptionist would arrange through her manager to have a bottle of wine and chocolates left in the room. Our room was a King Deluxe, beautiful room.

Concierge got us very good seats for The Woman in Black, most enjoyable show. Polo Bar very entertaining and snacks very good albeit not very reasonable. We ate out each night so cannot comment on the dining room.

Anyway, we checked out and still had not received the wine or chocolates !!

We will return again even allowing for this oversight of something that a staff member volunteered .

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for you loyalty as a returning guest at the Westbury Mayfair hotel. I am pleased that you are consistently happy with our services and accommodation and that our concierge was able to improve your stay by arranging theatre tickets. My apologies for the chocolate and wine oversight we will gladly provide these on your next stay.

Hatfield Peverel, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2012

The only problem with this wonderful hotel is: do you turn left into Old Bond Street or, right into New Bond Street. I always turn right, meander up Old Bond Street, through Burlington Arcade to Piccadilly and then the Royal Acadamy.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank William-David
TheWestbury, General Manager at Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that the Westbury Mayfair was your choice of stay for your visit to London, and that you enjoyed our ideal location in the heart of Mayfair. I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Sincerely yours,

Kingsbridge
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

This hotel is, as they say, in a fabulous position. It is comfortable and adequate, but a little tired. Our bed was very comfortable, but the pillows were a bit ancient - as was the bathroom. We had cocktails in the Polo Bar which were very good. Service initially a bit slow - but picked up. I wouldn't pay full price for this again, but I would look out for it on a discount mainly because it is almost ON Bond Street.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you and your group chose the Westbury Mayfair as your choice of stay for your visit to London. Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate all feedback and will take note of your comments concerning our rooms and service, as we aim to improve where needed. I look forward to having you stay with us again.

Paignton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

Stayed here for one night in early February. I arrived about an hour before check-in but they still managed to find me a room. The only downside was it was a family room with an interconnecting door. However I cannot complain about this as I was early and they still found me a room.

The hotel is a traditional art deco 5* with original features. I'd guess it would date from the late 20's or 30's. I managed to get a good price with last minute. The public areas look impressive and the service from reception and doormen was good.

The room while not large, was still a good size for London with plenty of furniture, including a desk. The bed was very comfortable. I found the menu system for the TV a bit over complicated initially. The noise through the interconnecting door was minimal. The only downside was some slight ink traces on the armchairs and the lack of anything particularly remarkable about the room.

The location is very central, next to Bond Street and is superb for shopping trips. There are no tube stations nearby but a few within a short walk.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ajhodges0
TheWestbury, General Manager at Westbury Mayfair, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you on such short notice, and that you were able to enjoy our ideal location; steps from bond street and minutes from Oxford Circus and Bond Street tube stations. I look forward to having you stay with us again, please book with us ahead of time and we will arrange the room of your choice.