“A Quiet Neighborhood”

Ranked #477 of 1,063 Hotels in London
San Francisco, California
“A Quiet Neighborhood”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

The hotel is in an upscale neighborhood, being one block from the Saudi Arabian embassy. The Green Park underground station is a one block walk away. The streets are quiet at night so there should not be a problem with noise in any of the rooms.

The rooms are very well appointed, modern but very richly done. This was the best room for decoration out of the five hotels I stayed in while in England.

The airconditioning was too warm and we had to open the window to keep cool. Other guest said they did not have a problem with the air conditioner.

The bath tub was not too difficult to get in and out of, a problem in some European hotels as they are often high up.

The food in the restaurant was good.

This is a smaller hotel. Some rooms had a few steps to get to.

Room Tip: The street is very quiet at night so any room should be good.
1 Thank Jerrytrip

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
New Castle, New Hampshire
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Every once in a while, you stumble upon a hotel that exceeds your expectations. The Washington Mayfair is one such place. While I did encounter a few minor inconveniences (key didn't work, confusion over how to log on to free wireless), each was handled promptly and in some cases personally by the general manager (a lovely woman who is there all the time and gets to know her guests). The breakfast was fantastic -- when I asked if they had oatmeal, the chef said he'd be happy to make me some special. The location cannot be beat, the rooms modern and clean, a fabulous shower ... everything you need for a home away from home.

1 Thank JanetPrince
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I stayed here in my two nights stopover in London.
The hotel was pretty close to the Green Park Underground Station. (3 mins walk towards the Curozon Cinema)
I got an upgrade to the suite room as I checked in. I had booked a standard room as I was a solo traveller.
So it turned out to b a good start.
The hotel is in a good location and all the major attractions are walking distance.( you can also take the underground to the attractions and shopping districts)
The hotel being in the Picadilly Line, helps commuters come straight from the Heathrow Airport without any hassle.
The only issue that I faced was that when I checked out and left my luggage at the concierge, and came back to collect it after a few hours of sightseeing, I noticed the concierge had broken my trolley bag handles when he lifted them with force. It really got me worried as I had a lot of trouble getting it back to the airport.
But then I guess concierge in every hotel is a bit clumsy.
Overall the hotel was good, well maintained, and clean.
I would come back to this place since its good value for money and the location.

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stay here on business regularly and haven't really had any issues other than the heat of the rooms and very poor shower power on some occasions. My main complaint is the restaurant. The menu just doesn't seem to change!! I mean come on I have been staying here on and off for four years and the menu is basically the same! Change the chef and change the menu or I will start looking to stay elsewhere, over a menu!!!?!?

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
South Coast
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Stayed for work last night. It was the most awful experience ever. The reception staff were rude, and spoke down to me, requesting photographic ID, and swipes of my card, for a prepaid booking. The room was very hot, even with the AC on. The breakfast was of a poor quality and not to the standard that would be expected for this type of hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Twink_Toes_77

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Mumbai, India
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I would very happily like to share with everyone my experiences at the Washington Mayfair Hotel. I now would like to share with all that I consider it my “London Home”.

While the Mayfair area needs no introduction, one must know that since its an exclusive area there aren't too many utility shops around. Bang opposite the Hotel is a Tesco Express, Café Nero and a Organic Fast Food Place called Chopp’d. You have no idea how important it is in London to have a Tesco opposite your hotel. Whether its Mineral Water ( mind you unlike Asia there’s no free mineral water in any London Hotel), small knick nacks, topping up your mobile pre paid, and nice sandwiches – Tesco is a blessing !

Café Nero makes a good hang out to have for meetings you wish to do outside of the hotel. Though iv not eaten at the Chopp’d yet – heard its good. Besides the famous Shepherd’s Market is diagonally across the street ( 30 metres max !) . Shepherd’s Market has about a dozen restaurants covering French, Italian, Lebanese, and Indian ( awfully Bangladeshi posing as Indian). This again is a boon as you have numerous choices of restaurant just “across the street”. It is situated opposite the famous Half Moon Street, afterwhich a movie was made starring Sigourney Weaver. It is 2 minutes walk from both Green Park and Green Park Tube Station. Location wise I would say its the best located Hotel in Mayfair for both the Business and Leisure Traveller.

I have stayed at this hotel 7 times since 2005. The rooms then were themed in an English manner earlier and now most of them have been renovated to giving them a very Modern look. My last visit there was in April 2012.

The hotel is a small to mid size 4 star hotel. It has friendly staff ( especially at breakfast, Cigdem the Manager there is most humble, attentive and remembers your choice of breakfast etc). The Reception staff and the concierge are both mindful and helpful, very much like Asian Hotels and that’s again a plus. What's really nice is the Hotel’s General Manager ( Mrs. Staunton) is very often seen in the Lobby interacting with guests. That over the period one’s stay, leaves a very positive impact in the guests’ mind.

The Quality of the rooms are excellent, especially the attention to detail my the Housekeeping staff. I stayed there for 10 days this April 2012 and Maria the Housekeeping lady, every single day never forgot one thing – I very observantly was particular as to clean bed sheets etc and am happy to say that in this department, things were top class.

The quality of Food and Beverage was very good. I did order Dinner via Room Service – the quality of the food, the taste and the way it was served was very nice. The hotel has a suitably large choice of Western and Indian Food on its menu – something which is very welcome. Suman Mitra the F&B Manager should get a lot of credit for this.

Its not very often that you end up staying at one hotel for 7 times – I found this hotel by chance and im very happy that iv stayed with them every single time since 2005. Iv also taken my entire family there – as a matter of fact in April 2011 I took my kids to London for the first time and they have amazing memories of staying at this property.

I had read a very nice advert for a Hotel and it said “ When you stay at our hotel ... It stays with you” and this is what has happened to me .. The Washington Mayfair Hotel has “stayed” with me and will for a very long time ... :-)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank RajanPatel
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I stayed in the hotel last weekend, combining a small business meeting and private visit to London. The location is superb. Mayfair, Piccadilly and Oxford street are close by and the Green Park Underground is only a 3 minutes walk. We walked through the Green Park to visit Buckingham Palace. The front desk staff was very polite and attentive. We arrived at 12.00 pm and the room was available. We stayed on the 7th floor in a large, recently renovated room. Throughout the hotel we had free high speed internet. The breakfastroom was being renovated but breakfast was alternatively well presented in the bar and restaurant area. the service was excelent and the buffet was promptly refilled when needed. The cooked items were well served.
The hotel may look a bit tired but this is very well compensated by the great service the we experienced.
The concierge(s) were very friendly and extremely helpfull and suggested some great restaurants for dinner.

I would certainly return to this hotel next time when I am in London.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business