“Home away from home”

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I've been staying at the K West for about 6-7 years now, and it's always improving. Ever since the Westfield shopping center opened down the road it has become one of the most convenient places to stay in London. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Only major downside is the slow wi-fi. Be sure to ask for a room close to the elevators too, because the corridors are quite long.

Room Tip: Ask for a room close to the elevators. Mobile phone service can be spotty on the subterranean floors...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank karen r
K_West_Hotel_Spa, General Manager at K West Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 13 April 2012
Thank you for your review and I am pleased to hear that you find our hotel conveniently located and the room accommodating. We are consciously and continuously trying to think of new ways we can improve as a hotel and I am pleased to hear that you believe we are doing a good job in doing so. I’m sorry to hear that you found our WIFI a little slow and the corridors quite long, next time you visit please request room closer to the elevators and our staff will be more than happy to allocate you one. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Hilary Cross

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2012

I've stayed over at the K West numerous times now, and have loved every stay. Infact since the hotel opened and was all red and blue!! Much easier on the eye now!
Bar always busy, good cocktails and DJ till 1am... I think it was 1 anyway, like I said cocktails!
There are some really good quiter areas just passed reception. One where we broke out of the bar area and had a mini " after " party stay before last!! lovely velvet purple colour scheme in those areas and 4 pc's to use.
Hotel is so easy to get to if arriving by tube and car alike, 5 mins from Shepherd's bush station.
I love the spa, have used both the wet spa and had treatments there, staff down there are fabulous.
I've stayed in Deluxe and Exec rooms, both great size, the exec gives you the seating area. Having tea and coffee in the room, hairdryer and iron and board, just make you realise that someone has thought about what you actually need from a hotel room. Plus half decent black out curtains!!
The only tip I would give anyone on the room, is the shower. I dont know why, but I forgot every time its the middle knob on the wall that you turn! great shower when you've called the engineer to come and help you work it out!!
We ate out at the Jam Tree this stay which came highly recommended and it was one of the best meals I've eaten out for some time. Its just a 5-10 min walk.
Had a great stay once again!

Room Tip: go for deluxe and above
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charlotte G
Thank you for such a lovely review. It’s great to hear that you have enjoyed every single stay with us, its feedback like this that really makes our jobs worth while! I’m pleased to hear that you were lucky enough to try out our newly refurbished spa facilities and treatments with our fabulous spa team; I will forward your kind comments on to them. We would be delighted to welcome you back soon.
Shanghai
Reviewed 1 April 2012

This hotel is in Shepherd's Bush and one tube station from the BBC's TV Centre at White City, which accounts for the occasional sightings of bands and musos on their way to the studios. K West has a decent bar area right next to reception which is noisy and convivial and no place for confidential discussions if you're in media or sports business, with a restaurant one floor up that serves new Brit food and does a good job of it. The rooms are larger than normal for a London hotel [which means smaller than anywhere else in the known world] and the bathroom is included. Not much else is. By the time you add up a room charge of £149 and VAT of £30, plus Internet connection fee per day of £15 plus breakfast at £14, plus automatic service charge of 15% (in addition to any tips you might give) you realize that you could have stayed closer to the center of London for the same cost. I had the misfortune to be given a room on the first floor, which turned out to be subterranean - reception is on 3rd floor which is actually ground level. The so-called spa is also down in the dungeons and an attempt has been made to turn the whole environment into Happyland by placing coloured LED strip lights in zones to entice you to your room. It doesn't help. Narrow, endless corridors with regular firedoors that make dragging suitcases through them more difficult than necessary, and when finally you reach your door there's a fifty percent chance that the roomkey has lost its animal magnetism. No problem, you just walk the 150 meters back to the elevator, wait, go to 3rd floor where cheerful staff couldn't care less, return to damp dungeon, walk 150 meters and repeat until murderous. The bathroom has plumbing like a submarine - because the drains and pipes are so far below street level, every time you turn on a faucet, a sump pump starts up to clear the water above ground. It doesn't matter if you're just washing your hands, brushing your teeth, using the toilet or having a shower, big hydraulic pumps will make the floor shake and the walls of the bathroom throb as if you're submerging. However, if you like Shepherd's Bush - and there's lots to like - the K West Hotel is a good place for a base. The Shepherd's Bush tube station is a five minute walk and there's a huge new Westfield centre alongside the station, with a wide range of restaurants forming a walk the gauntlet experience as you go past. The weather was abnormal while I was there - bright sun and blue skies, so pasty-coloured British arms and legs emerged from grungy clothes and were exposed to the rays in every park, bench and chair around, while cyclists flashed through red lights to show their contempt for cars and pedestrians. Night life, good pubs, fast food, fine restaurants, stores, coffee shops from Middle East as well as Paris and Milan - all the life of a great city is going on not far from the K West Hotel, so the best thing is to spend as much time outside the hotel as possible and only return there to pay the bill.

Room Tip: Do not accept a room on 1st or 2nd floor and try to get one that is less than 50 meters from the ele...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank beatric
Thank you for the review of your stay at our hotel and the local area. I understand that overall you were unhappy with some elements of your stay, so please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. However, we do hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back soon.
England
Reviewed 1 April 2012

My boyfriend and I spent one night at the hotel in March 2012. We stayed in an executive room and were pleased with the size of the room - if you were staying for more than one night there was ample storage space available for clothes and an iron and ironing board were available. A safe, hair dryer and kettle were also available which were really handy.

The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Shepherds Bush tube station and very close to the large Westfield shopping centre which was really handy, particularly for a location to eat the night that we stayed.

The outside of the hotel looked far more impressive at night - we arrived earlier in the day and had wondered if the price we'd paid for the room was really worth it based on the exterior! However the interior of the hotel put any concerns to rest.

We didn't eat at the hotel but prices seemed reasonable for room service at around £10 for a pizza.

Unfortunately we didn't get time to use the spa or have any treatments but they seemed appropriately priced.

The only things that we felt seemed a little extortionate were the cost of the wifi (a lot of hotels offer this for free now so were surprised this was being charged for) and to rent a movie was nearly £10.

I would definitely stay here again, particularly if I were going to a gig at the nearby venue or on a shopping weekend.

• Stayed March 2012
Thank you for your lovely review we do appreciate all feedback from our guests. It’s great to hear that the room was to your taste and well equipped to your needs. We are indeed very close to both the tube station and the Westfield’s shopping centre and one of our main selling points would be our prime location. I’m sorry if you felt the Wi-Fi was a little pricey, perhaps next time you visit you may make use of our free internet at the terminals located on the ground floor. It’s great to know that you would definitely stay here again, perhaps next time you could try out our lovely spa or our recently updated menu both which are popular with our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2012

this could be one of the best values in London! they have a full gym and spa, are next
to the underground in Shepards Bush, have a business center, a nice lobby and restaurant
and even parking.
the hotel is a little hard to find, but only 1 and a half blocks from the underground.
the basic room is small, so if you can get upgraded to the next size, all the better.

Room Tip: get directions from the underground before you go and try to upgrade from the basic room.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your gracious review. I’m pleased to hear that you found our hotel good value. I’m sorry you found the hotel hard to find as it is located just a few minutes walk from the Shepherds Bush Tube station and Westfield’s shopping centre. We have great directions on our website but now that you know where we are I am sure you won’t need them and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2012

On check-in I didn't give my credit card details as a "deposit" but my colleague did. It turned out this meant they took £50 off the card, which was unused, but wouldn't be returned for 7 to 10 days after our stay.

This is outragous, even when challenged they tried to claim it would still take a few days.I suspect if I hadn't noticed they might have just kept the money.

The room was OK as was the food, but this practice stinks. It took plenty of time,calls lasting over an hour in total before Hotel.com took my complaint seriously and tried to get things resolved within a day. THis should never have happened, but now I think Hotel.comshould withdraw the hotel from their recommendations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank TimDrye
Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear that on this occasion you did not enjoy your stay. With regards to the pre-authorization, it is a standard procedure for hotels to take a preauthorization on a credit card to allow you to charge to your room during your stay, and I’m sorry if this was a convenience for you. If you would like to discuss your stay further then please contact me via the hotel website. This aside, we hope to welcome you back soon.
London
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I was treated to two nights at the KWest and thoroughly enjoyed my couple of day’s. Great location, right next to tube stop and two minutes from the Westfield. All the staff were really friendly and helpful throughout our stay. I had checked out some of the reviews on Trip Advisor before going and one of the things mentioned was they were charged twice for some service, this also happened to us. My boyfriend had arranged a Champagne and strawberries delivery for when we arrived and this was charged twice on the bill at the end of our stay. We noticed this straight away and had it changed without any hassle, I'm not sure if this was a genuine mistake but seemed a bit of a coincidence that this had happened a few times before.
Over all I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Foodie F
Thank you for your lovely feedback. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your couple of days with us and I’m pleased to hear that our staff were accommodating during your stay. I apologize for the problem regarding your bill, however I am glad our staff were able to rectify this issue straight away without any hassle. It’s lovely to hear that you would recommend our hotel to others and that you would stay again, we hope to welcome you back soon.