“Old hotel and false advertising”

The Gainsborough Hotel
Ranked #807 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 May 2017

I only booked into this hotel as I was going to the Chelsea Flower Show and it had rooms available in my budget. I cannot believe they advertise themselves as a four star hotel. I chose a Superior Single room and all I can say is I would hate to see what a standard one looked like. The room is tiny and with a poor layout which makes you feel like you are staying in a cell.
The bathroom is old, the shower stall slippery with no rubber mat provided and the water pressure is appalling. The hotel advertises it has a restaurant, which it doesn't. When I asked, they actually send you to the hotel across the road, who told me that they also provide the room service to the Gainsborough. They also advertise that they have heating and cooling. My room on the second floor only has a floor standing unit with a hose out the window , which I tried yesterday as the room was hot and stuffy. The noise was unbearable and there is no way you could use this in mid summer to cool your room. There is also a stand up fan stored in the wardrobe. The heating is actually an oil filled plug in heater stored in the wardrobe. The TV is on the desk and you would not be able to watch it from the bed, due to the room layout.
Someone from housekeeping knocked on my door while I was in the shower and shouted something that I could not understand, so I rang reception to find out why to be told they would call me back, which hasn't happened. The woman on reception when arrived was obviously having difficulties dealing with check ins and just kept telling me " that the tea and coffee in the room was free" . Well that is the usual in a hotel, so I'm not quite sure why she kept repeating it. Mind you I have no idea how you would make it, as it , as the kettle and teak making equipment is stored in the wardrobe and there is really no space for it. For the price, this hotel is the worst place I have ever stayed in. I would rate it more as youth hostel star , although I have stayed in better hostels than this room.
The only positive is the location to the tube and museums, however I would advise to look for something else in the area.

Room Tip: Front rooms have traffic noise from the street, however you need to leave your window open to get ai...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo
3  Thank Kerri_J1

Reviewed 8 May 2017

Great location as we were singing in the Royal Albert Hall. An older property but clean and comfortable. We had continental breakfast included which was adequate but you could upgrade to full cooked breakfast for £5
Lara on reception was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 May 2017

close to subway, great location; great service, especially the attendent Laisa, she was always very helping and kind. We had a really nice time there.
Breakfast was very good; the room was well cleaned and good size. Only the elevator is very small. After all, it was good price-benefit.

Room Tip: all rooms seem quite
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 April 2017

Very friendly staff, very attentive - especially attendant Irena. Delicious and hearty full English breakfast at a reasonable price for London. So near to the tube and Kensington area sites for tourism, in a quieter area not overrun by tourists, that Gainsborough is worth considering. My family and I will stay again.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2017 via mobile

My partner and I booked this hotel for a 4 night stay and we cancelled and left after 1 night! We booked it months ago but was put in the room right next to the lift which was noisy until early hours! The room was run down and grotty more like a sub contractors hotel where you pay £25 a night! Not what you would expect for a 4 star hotel in London! Dreadful!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah N
Reviewed 14 April 2017

The hotel was not the swankiest, but it was clean, quiet, and friendly, all in a great location minutes from the museums and the Tube. The rooms are small but I just needed a place to sleep and shower, London beckons. Lara was a great help at the reception desk, booking me tickets for a tour and generally very friendly and kind. For the price I couldn't ask for anything better.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank bobmalan
Reviewed 12 April 2017

Generally agree with most of the comments here as the hotel overall needs some general attention, but also agree that Lara was incredibly professional and friendly and willing to help. Great location, but difficult to control temperature in room and card key consistently did not work forcing a walk up/down 5 flights numerous times (elevator too small and slow to help).

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family