See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed October 2, 2017

Great location close to South Kensington tube station and stone's throw from the museums.
Tasteful and stylish reception area, with a warm welcome.
Room was fine, but could do with a bit of refurbishment. Just felt a bit shabby and grubby - very worn - especially the bathroom which was especially shabby and in need of some TLC. And the vacuum cleaner shouldn't be left in the corridor in my humble opinon!
Can't quite get used to paying £100+ for a fairly basic hotel room for one, but I guess that's London prices for you!
Didn't have the hotel breakfast, but there are plenty of basic well-priced breakfast options around South Kensington tube station.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2017

Just 2 minutes walk from South Kensington tube station. First impressions very nice, typical building you find in the Kensington area. Oldy worldly reception area and very welcoming staff.

We had a family room, consisting of a small wall dividing the double bed and the twin beds. We had room 410. The linen on the bed along with the towels were clean.
The room however needs a make over the bathroom has a bath and jacuzzi bath, but the jacuzzi jets looked filthy, the shower had poor pressure.
The carpets, the walls, furniture need re done. It isn’t the cleanest room we have stayed in.
But as we were attending the IAAF world championships we really only needed to sleep in it, thank fully! and at £145.00 per night it wasn’t cheap.

I mentioned whilst we checked out about the shower. But this room desperately needs a massive makeover and clean up.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank LydiaCarlisle
Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

Me and my husband recently stayed at The Gainsborough Hotel as we were going to watch the IAAF World Championships. I booked the hotel many months ago as I knew the price would increase.
After reading recent posts, I was a bit apprehensive, however when we arrived we were greeted by a very polite receptionist. We were checked in within 10 minutes and shown to our room.
Yes, the rooms are dated and need some TLC, however, the bed was comfy, the bathroom clean and the breakfast adequate. We did have to go over the road to the sister hotel, but that wasn't a big deal.
The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the tube station, Natural History and Science Museums. Would I stay again? Yes, if I got it for a reasonable price. We paid £109.00 for the night which I think is reasonable for London (considering the time of year also).

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Melanie W
Reviewed August 2, 2017

Found this hotel via Booking.com. The website makes the place look worth staying at, price quite reasonable at £155 a night for the location, school boy error of not reading recent reviews !!
The outside looks fine on arrival, but goes downhill from there on.
Reception staff not overly attentive, we needed to get a lift to our second floor "deluxe double". After a ridiculously long wait, lift arrives, very small floor space, occupied by a "chamber maid" and lots of bedding/towels etc. No room for guests and she was not going to defer to us, so we lugged our cases up the narrow stairs (partly blocked by other piles of bedding etc.).
Once on our landing, we noticed another guest, desperately trying to gain access to his room, his key card would not work. Fearing the worst, I tried our card, magic, door opened, I could hardly wait to set sight on our "deluxe double"!!
Very disappointed is an understatement, room was very small, lots of dust which had been there some time. Air conditioning was a portable unit, very noisy, and venting through a hole cut in the window. Bathroom was clean, but not enough pressure in the sink taps for water to flow into the basin directly (dribble only). Couldn't find the wardrobe, later discovered this was via a narrow doorway by the side of the bed, a closet almost bigger than the bedroom, with a few coat hangers on a rail.
We then attended a very enjoyable evening function at a different venue. Upon returning to the hotel later that evening, we decided to have a drink at the bar. Although late(ish) the night staff told us the bar was closed and directed us to the "sister" hotel across the road. They told us they were closed and we should be able to get a drink back at the Gainsborough.
Very reluctantly, a man appeared, spoke little English" and was not able to offer us any drink that we asked for if it involved a "mixer", i.e. there was no lemonade, American ginger ale, tonic water etc. Eventually he found some coke (and diet coke!!).
On a positive note, the beds were clean and comfortable.
We couldn't face breakfast at the hotel but found a very acceptable "café", a short walk away.
Check out!!! Nobody seemed sure of what latest check out time was, take your pick from 10.00 am, mid day or 2.00 pm. We went down the middle and checked out at mid day. One thing they did get right, the bill for the mediocre drinks the night before, £35.00!! Ouch.
Will we be returning? Of course not.

Room Tip: Our room was at back, so quiet, our friends room was at front, reported no noise problems
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank John B
Reviewed July 30, 2017

Although the room seems a bit old, especially the carpet needs to be replaced (it felt dirty even though maybe they cleaned it) and they didn't have any slippers to wear inside the room, overall it was nice to stay there. The breakfast was nice, and the staffs were very friendly too, especially the afternoon staffs, Virginia, Amy, and also Adam who helped me with many things, and the two breakfast lady staffs who remembered my preference of tea during my 4 days stay there. The place is also strategic to go to famous spots (Victoria and Albert Museum, etc) or take the main route of bus tours in London.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo